Gyrock Guitars Are Weird

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by KnightBrolaire, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Credit card thin IC neodymium pickups FTW.

AxeHappy and c7spheres like this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Not everything has to be for live bands / rehearsals

Swappability could have niche customers in: studios, techs, amp or pickup RETAILLERS, booth demos, etc

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Pickup rings... in a ring of pickups...

Tuned and Seabeast2000 like this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Again, you missed my point about the standardization of it.

I was talking about:
    Would be nice though.

AxeHappy and Solodini like this.
  5. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Tuned and c7spheres like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

other companies made pickuos compatible with the gibson system . It never caught on. Quici swapping pickups is a joke anyways. I can solder a new pickup in just as easily as I can do it with quick connects.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Yes, something like this is what I'm talking about.

I mean, yeah, it's the right idea, but I'm talking about making it standardized. As in, go to a store, buy a $300 guitar, buy some Dimarzios or Duncans, literally just pop them on and go. Next day, decide you want to try something else, pop them out and drop some BKP in there instead.

Yeah, some companies have rolled their own version of this, but there's no standard, and you can't just expect it to be there on most instruments.

Some people suck at soldering. Or don't want to risk damaging something. Or don't want to spend the time disassembling things. And again, I'm not talking about quickconnect. I've got pickup swaps I've wanted to do for a while that I haven't done because tearing the instrument apart is too much of a hassle, and I put myself in the camp of people who suck at soldering sometimes. I'd have bought countless more pickups by now if I literally just had to socket them in and not think twice about it. Don't like it? 10 seconds to swap back instead of busting out the soldering iron again. Want to use the same guitar for playability reasons but use a different set of pickups in it for different contexts/bands/days of the week? It's not realistic to re-solder your pickups every day or week, but it WOULD be realistic to just pop in the ones you want when you want them.

I'm legit surprised that I'm getting push back on this one - it seems like a no-brainer that something like this would be a huge convenience, especially in a community like this that likes to roll through pickups quickly.

8. KnightBrolaire

I am so sick of people acting like soldering is hard or that they'll break things. Just don't yank on the conductor wires or wildly overheat the pots. It's not hard. I literally learned to do it in a few minutes back in high school .
    I waste more time restringing and retuning my guitar than I do soldering. Even if you use a cheap hardware store soldering iron, you can have it ready to go in like a minute.
    Also the gibson system I was referencing was the one earlier in the thread where it's back mounted, so yeah, you could actually quick swap without restringing/retuning.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I mean.... it's not hard, but it is a skill. And it takes time. And I'm not about to re-do something like that every day. And there absolutely is some risk involved. Sure, it's not rocket science, but it's easy enough to screw it up or do a bad job of it.

Or what about younger kids/teens who want to experiment with guitar sounds but can't be motivated to learn how to solder? Or what if you need/want to do the swap in a place where there's no tool available?

I see zero downside to being able to just drop a pickup into the front of a guitar.

AxeHappy and Solodini like this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

Risk? There's bascially no chance of destroying anything besides a volume pot or melting wire insulation, both of which are extremely easy fixes.
    There's basically no startup cost to get into soldering. Seriously you can buy a half decent soldering iron for less than 20usd off amazon, and there's a million tutorials out there.
    soldering is a useful skill that carries over outside of pickup installs. I use it for basic electronic fixing and plumbing. Just in the realm of guitar you can use it on pedal, pickups, amps, cables, speakers. It's a truly invaluable skill and everyone should know how to do it.

11. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

just seems really dumb and it is ugly as fuck. to top it off the price is a total non starter for me.

i could put 7 different EQs on my helix and probably achieve the same results.

c7spheres likes this.
  12. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, IMO.

c7spheres likes this.
  13. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I didn't say soldering was hard! Again, I don't understand the push back. Why would anyone actively want pickup swaps to be less convenient if the option was there? Screwing up a volume pot and having to start over would be frustrating and a point towards making the process easier. Stuff like that is why I don't do pickup swaps very often. I don't enjoy that process.

Yes, soldering is relatively easy, and yes, it's relatively low risk, and yes, it's a useful skill to have, but none of that negates that it would be great to be able to just pop a pickup onto your guitar and be done with it.

It's not like we've never seen some horrible wiring on this site before. Some people suck at it. I arguably kind of suck at it. If I could eliminate that whole process, I would buy tons more pickups. Simple as that.

Solodini likes this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Me: I sure would like an easier / more convenient standard way to do pickup swaps.
    Thread: No you don't.

....? Why?

AxeHappy, Tuned, Solodini and 3 others like this.
  15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^I think it's one of those things where, yes, it would be convenient if standardization existed but it would be a greater PITA to adopt it now. Kind of like how in the US we'll never adopt the metric system. We're too far gone, man. Too many speed limit signs to change and tape measures to throw-out. :lol:

16. KnightBrolaire

Like I said in previous posts, there are products that you can just slap into the guitar instead of having to solder. They just never gain traction just due to how cheap/easy it is to solder some wires to a pot or switch. My point is that swapping pickups is basically as easy as it gets. I've had guitars with quick connect systems, solderless terminals and soldered terminals, and it takes essentially the same amount of time to swap pickups in. Like I mentioned previously, restringing/re tuning is where I waste the majority of my time from pickup changes. There's really no way to seriously speed up the process other than making pickups rear mounted which brings a whole slew of other adoption issues.

making wiring look nice and organized is a totally different animal from having actually functioning circuits.. It's just a skill that people develop over time.

17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

There's just not enough people that ever swap pickups more then once or twice to make it a really worthwhile mass production feature.

If you want to get something like a relish and switch pickups all day. You can do that.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I wonder if that's because it hasn't been possible for the most part. I know I'd be someone who would swap more often if that standard was out there.

Like if it was a matter of getting up and going "I feel like playing some guitar right now" and just grabbing a guitar, slap a random pickup in it as easily as you plug the cable in, start noodling, and it was just a standard thing to do.... I would gladly own a tiny army of pickups for this usage.

Today I want the hottest pickups I can find. Today I want something with some smooth cleans. Today I want something that kinda sounds like a single coil. Maybe today I want it to actually be a single coil. Today I want the weird coloured ones because why not.

Alternatively:
    I really like a set of pickups, but I don't want to buy a set for every guitar I own. Today I want to play the strat -> Slap the good pickups in it. Today I want to play an explorer. Put the good pickups in it and go.

Imagine the convenience for people who do video pickup reviews -> Watch as I literally just drop another set in and touch nothing else so that you get as fair a comparison as it could possibly be.

Solodini likes this.
  19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Alternatively most guitar makers have more incentive to sell you 10 guitars then 1 guitar you can easily put 10 pickups in.

But what you're talking about isn't that hard. If you really wanted it someone could design it and make it for you for a lot less then 18k.

All you need is a guitar without a trem that you don't mind taking the back out of and a whole bunch of quick connects.

Actually relish just realized a cheaper guitar that does it.

Tuned and Solodini like this.
  20. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Probably only 50%. Fender sells a lot of guitars.

Solodini and c7spheres like this.