Guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Atomic Ass, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Transmissions

Transmissions Well-Known Member

I want to do everything from learning how to shoot, I'm a certified hunter, though I've only been once, went pheasant hunting a couple years ago and I want to get back into it. I have never shot an actual rifle other than pellet guns though, so I'd really like to give that a go for deer season later this year. Also, I'm a bit of a noid, so anything from home defense to the commies coming and stealing California, which is also what makes the .308 preferable :pp

2. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

Understandable. I don't have a lane set up on the farm for over 600 meters. It sucks :lol:

So, you need a few guns :lol:

.22 for plinking
    12ga with 24+" barrel for pheasant
    .308 for deer
    either 12ga with 18" barrel for home defense, or a decent handgun.

I don't think I'd want to use a bolt-action rifle, with a high-power scope in a home defense situation. :lol: Might have to grab the 30-06 and see what it's like.

3. Transmissions

Basically. Youre right, a rifle isnt going to do shit in home haha. I could get a nice shotgun cheap too, but i dont really desire one at all.but do you know of any good and affordable .308s? like $5-$600 max? Else im just going to get a 10/.22 because of the price

4. Chickenhawk

I didn't say a rifle or .308 wasn't great for home defense weapon. I'd trade my shotgun for an M1A or FAL for home defense in a second. I also rotate my shotgun and AK (7.62x39mm) out for bedside duty. I wouldn't want a bolt-action for home defense. Important difference. :cool:

Get a 10/22. They can be had for fairly cheap, ammo is cheap (hovering around 5-6 cents a round right now. Was less than 4 cents a couple months ago), and the little sombitch is reliable.

If you get real froggy, you can get the new Takedown version. I went with the tried and true, plain wood stock 10/22 Carbine.

The only hickup is finding the 25rnd mags right now. I don't truck Butler Creek, so I bought the actual Ruger BX-25s. Think I paid less than $50 for two of them, but prices have jumped quite a bit.

5. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

Yeah, the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 60 are both great little rifles. I've been shooting the Marlin since I was about 6. Pretty accurate, very reliable and again the ammo is cheap.

6. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

7. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

My dad bought me a 22 when I was six.

8. Chickenhawk

My 9 year old had her Savage Cub .22 when she was 5 or 6. Our 4 year old has a bb gun, and she'll be getting the Savage Cub .22 on her 5th birthday. Hopefully our 9 year old will have grown out of her 10/22 and moved on to the ARs and AKs by the time the youngest is ready for the 10/22 :lol:

The reasons I buy quality:
    I hate cleaning weapons.
    I hate buying things twice.
    So, if I can get a reliable firearm that will last long enough to hand down, then I'm happy. :lol:

9. Transmissions

If the M1A was at all in my price range I'd have that. That thing is the sex. Thats the gun I actually want, I'm just trying to go with whats in reach atm. They're going for what, 1.9k?
    10/22 Is probably gonna be it, that price is so good.
    And I was looking on their website, and I really couldn't tell the difference between all of them, except one might be this wood, or have this trigger style. And the take down folds up. But other than that, it seems it's more of aesthetics/where you plan on using it.
    I'm gonna have to find a larger capacity mag before they all disappear, the prices probably skyrocketed.

http://shopruger.com/10_22-BX-25-MAGAZINE/productinfo/90361/ not bad.

10. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

I see nothing wrong with a child having a gun given to them as long as the parent teaches them responsibly and makes sure they are ALWAYS supervised. My dad always was close to me.

11. Choop

Choop n______n

Could definitely recommend the 10/22, very fun rifle. I've used it for squirrel hunting, but it's a great plinker (that's what I've used it for most actually)! It's been super reliable and just generally really solid.

12. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

I've had H&K, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Desert Eagle 50AE and many others. You know the only thing I have now and you know why? Several Glocks because of their design they give me the smallest pattern on the target and I love the trigger safety. Pull the slide back and shoot. No thinking and fumbling with safety levers and hammers, just point and shoot.

13. Transmissions

Not old enough for a handgun yet :( le frowney. Don't really have much use for one other than home defense. A concealed carry permit would be nice though. Everyone seems to love glocks. I guess that's why the cops have them. Same reason they drive crown vics too.

14. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

I'd rather have a safety lever, but I'm paranoid about NDs. Interested in the Ruger SR9c, but don't know if the safety is easy to reach. The LC9's safety is in the perfect position (for my hand) and requires the perfect amount of force to use. Just need to shoot one now.

How did you like that DEagle? I saw one at a gun show and it was like trying to hold a small child one-handed.:eek:

15. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

I was a cop,I saw a LOT of ND`s with glocks,hence the term "GlockLeg"
    I can`t recomend a glock for anyone but a very very experenced shooter.

16. Chickenhawk

I had a Ruger SR40C, exact same as the 9mm. The safety was easy to each, but then again, I have huge hands.

The ONLY time a Glock goes off is when you pull the trigger. I can promise you that every time someone shot themselves in the leg, they pulled the fucking trigger.

A real good friend of mine works for my dad. They carry Glocks at work, and he shot himself a while back. This man is a former Marine, current LEO and firearms instructor for the State. He drew his duty weapon while at the range, and pulled the trigger. His own damn fault.

I carry a Glock 19 every day, and do a handful of dryfire drills, and have never had an ND. Not saying it won't happen some day, but it won't happen because it's a Glock. It'll happen because I pulled the trigger.

It is more likely that the safety will mechanically fail on my 1911 an allow the hammer to fall on a loaded chamber than it is for a Glock to fire without the trigger being pulled. If you do some digging around on the internals of a Glock, you'll see that the weapon has no way of firing, until the trigger is pulled, which, for a lack of a better term, charges the striker.

17. mr_rainmaker

ooops your a glock defender :)

like I should have said OPERATOR ERROR,a lot of people can`t keep their damn fingers off the damn trigger,this includes LE,the general public has this concept that all cops are superduper operators,but in reality most barely qualify....

here is how a glock works ;)
    [​IMG]

18. mr_rainmaker

for those who are reading that don`t know anything about the "gun culture" there`s a long standing debate Glock VS 1911 debate,which gets heated and funny at the same time but we are all good with each other,its in good natured fun so.....

[​IMG]

Chickenhawk likes this.
  19. Chickenhawk

Yea, I know. I own two Glocknades.

I own a 1911, it stays in my truck. I carry a Glock 19. My girlfriend has a Glock 17 in her car.

I also have an AKM, but will be getting an AR soon.

I enjoy straddling the fence.

I used to be a diehard 1911 fan. I refused to look at anything else. Then I bought a Ruger SR40C, and noticed that polymer isn't all bad. I sold it, bought a Glock 19 and now will willingly accept the fact that Glocks serve a purpose, and serve it very well. I now carry a gun that is reliable, accurate, and handles well in my hand.

The Glock vs 1911 debate is just like the 9mm vs 45acp debate. Factoring in modern practices (ammunition, technique, and build quality), the gap is so small between the two that it doesn't matter.

Put me in WW2 with only ball ammunition and a cleaning kit, then yes. 1911 wins all day.

Put me on the streets today, with modern hollow points, then a 9mm Glock does the job VERY well.

EDIT:

AND I get to carry more ammunition. Anybody that says "I don't need more than 7 rounds" is a moron and has never properly trained with their method of self defense. :lol:

20. mr_rainmaker

BUZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!

9mm vs 45?

we all know 10mm wins

[​IMG]