Guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Atomic Ass, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

just wait a week...

2. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

The decent dealers still have normal prices, but are out of everything. Glad I have a whole bunch of mags. This is going to throw the whole AR world into a spiral for quite some time. Parts and ammo are going to be hard to come by and the prices are going to go way up with the demand. If i were you I would hold off for a while. That said if you still do it, I would recommend against building your own upper. A monkey can build a lower, but an upper requires specialized tools and more know how. Unless you plan on doing various builds it's really not worth it.

3. yellowv

Primaryarms.com has a limited amount of p mags in stock at normal prices.

4. yellowv

5. mr_rainmaker

ya better jump on those lowers quick.

6. Blake1970

Blake1970 SS.org Regular

Picked this baby up this morning :hbang:

Attached Files:

7. avenger

avenger SS.org Regular

Why does everyone want to buy guns? Are you going to shoot some schools up?

ERAGAHGAWD!

:coffee:

8. Transmissions

Transmissions Well-Known Member

So, I've been thinking about purchasing my first gun for a while now.
    I live in the US, and we're having some turmoil over the issue, and I
    really want to get something before prices skyrocket and availability
    drops. I don't want to make this thread about gun rights, so please,
    keep those comments to yourself. What I am asking is what type of
    gun would you guys recommend/what are you into?
    Personally, a Ruger .22 semi auto seems like it's going to be my choice, seeing as it's semi-auto, and a small caliber, I could learn to shoot a real rifle, rather than just my pellet gun. Other than the Ruger, I wanted a .308 Winchester sporter, but they are about $900 vs the Ruger Sporter or some line of semi-auto that's $370
    So, what would you guys recommend?

9. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

thee is a huge gunthread man...search it.:yesway:

10. mr_rainmaker

a .22 bolt action will do the same job as a semi-auto,great trainer till you get a bigger rifle,but with the currant panic going on you can expect to pay double to triple or more for a semi that you want,its a tool like a fork not some WMD Deathray like some would have you believe.

before the panic you could have gotten a nice bolt action pretty cheap like the steven`s rifles for around 300bucks,you might just wait for a semi auto till you aquire the safety/skill for a good semi rifle/pistol :)

11. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I'm hoping the current bump in gun prices will bring down the price of swords.

Just sayin'....

12. Transmissions

Transmissions Well-Known Member

Yeah, the panic is kind of killing me right now. .22's are pretty low power, I know that. A bolt action should be fine for now

13. mr_rainmaker

don`t underestimate a little .22 even at 1100 yards fps is still over 300...
    still enough to get the job done with shotplacement.

14. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/off-topic/220602-gun-shopping.html

<-- SSO's Resident Gun Nut.

What are you wanting to do with this rifle?

My 9 year old daughter had a Savage Cub (.22lr, bolt action) as her first rifle. I wouldn't suggest that to an adult, since it's so small :lol:

She now has a Ruger 10/22 (.22lr, semi-auto). Fantastic fucking gun. We've put a couple thousand rounds through it without any sort of lube or any cleaning whatsoever. More than accurate enough for a plinker, and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt varmints and small-game with it.

If you're wanting to be accurate at any sort of distance, you'll need something bigger (or a .17 HMR, but that almost falls into a specialty category). .308 is a great round. Plenty of stopping power against anything you'll run up against in North America, and it's a common round. 30-06 is also a great round. I know a LOT of people that swear by the 30-06. Personally, I lean towards .308 (7.62x51mm), since it's a NATO round, and availability is an factor for me.

If you were wanting to buy a firearm before prices skyrocketed, you might have missed the boat by a few weeks. I bought my 10/22 a few months ago for less than $250 out the door, brand new. I see them going used for over $350 now. The only rifles that don't seem to have been affected too much by the panic are bolt actions in .300 winmag, .308, and 30-06.

Soooo, before I can suggest a rifle, I gotta know: What are you wanting to do with it?

15. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

Agreed. A .22 is deadly beyond the range it can accurately be fired.

16. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Everything that Chickenhawk said about the Ruger 10/22 is absolutely true, it's a fantastic weapon, great for anything from target shooting to rodent hunting. I went squirrel hunting with it a couple weeks ago, and it performed excellently.

17. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

:/

18. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I never really enjoyed shooting rifles as its too easy IMO. Shooting handguns is a lot more enjoyable. I have no clue what you can get down south compared to here.

19. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

What? 'Her' rifles are rifles that either her grandfather or myself have purchased, and keep. It's not like I handed her a rifle and said "here ya go.", although I have no doubt in my mind she would be perfectly fine with it. She was raised properly, and knows how to handle a firearm safely.

As a matter of fact, when we go shooting with other families, she is the one that teaches her friends what to do, and what not to do while the parents supervise. Every single visit to the range (which is actually my father in laws farm) begins with a safety brief. Everybody knows how to be safe, but it's never a bad thing to refresh memories, and the 9 yo has been the one to give those briefings, lately.

Ever try hitting a 6" plate at 1000 meters with a .308? Ever try doing it 5 times in a row?

Ever try engaging a moving target at an unknown distance? Shooting a rifle can be extremely challenging. If you're at a public range, sitting on a bench, hitting a target at 100 yards...then yes, that's boring as fuck.

elq likes this.
  20. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Not everyone lives in the middle of nowhere though man. Driving 3-4 hours to somewhere where we can shoot like that isnt practical.

The closest decent gun range here is like..a 1-2 hour drive from me and aren't all those things you listed way more difficult with a handgun anyways? :fawk: