Guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Atomic Ass, Mar 16, 2009.

1. The Atomic Ass

The Atomic Ass Redefining Sound

So I went out shooting Sunday with the cousins. 6 people, 15 guns, much lead and brass was dispersed. :D No pics as nobody brought a camera. :rolleyes:

But now I've really got a hankering for a .357 mag revolver. Which is weird because I'm really a semi-auto whore by nature. :nuts:

So now I'm wanting to put one on my to-get list. But there's a LOT of .357 mag revolvers out there. :squint: I appeal to the gun owners here, what are some GOOD ones?

2. MFB

MFB Banned

I've always fancied Smith and Wesson for revolvers, and my dad has had several different S&W pistols all of which were fine instruments

3. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

Not a gun owner (yet), so take it for what it's worth, but I've always been a fan of the DE .50 :)

4. MFB

MFB Banned

Not only is it totally unnecessary and showing off, but also illegal

5. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

well i assure you it is not illegal. there are many brand new ones in my local gun stores here in colorado springs. also at my hometown gun stores in florida. although it is a bit much guaranteed. i owned the 44 mag version and sold it. its just too damn heavy. like a boat anchor. i will take a 45 1911 or a sig sauer 9mm thank you :)

the desert eagle was designed for long range taget shooting. and it used to come with a choice of the standard 6 inch barrel along with a 10 and 14 inch option. my dad owned one of the old mark 7s in 357. basically it was some people tinkering with a way to fire the large and long magnum revolver rounds from a semiauto. as such the grip is most uncomfortable because its very skinny but very very long from front to back so its very hard to wrap your hand around it. not to mention the recoil is excessive.

6. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

I would imagine they're pretty damn clunky to shoot.
    You ever try the longer barrel versions? I saw some pics of it with a scope and a long barrel on top and thought, holy hell can you snipe with that thing?!?!

7. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Nope. They're not. Neither is S&W .460 or SW500 (.50)

I'm a big fan of revolvers. I own two, a Taurus 669 (.357 Mag) and a Taurus Model 44 SS4 (.44 Mag). Great shit. .44 is fun as hell to shoot.
    If you're looking for something inexpensive and reliable, try a used Taurus revolver. Had no issues whatsoever with either of mine. Try a Taurus Tracker or Model 66.

The Atomic Ass likes this.
  8. MFB

MFB Banned

:scratch:

I could've swore that .50 cals were illegal to own? Guess I'm outdated on my gun regulations

9. HamBungler

HamBungler Lord Zorgatron

50 cal rifles maybe, but pistols are open game.

I also agree with the S&W and Taurus sentiments, they're a blast to shoot.

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Banned

I personally own a .40 Sig Sauer P226 (best handgun ever made in my opinion), a Remington 870 12 ga., and a .357 Mag. Taurus 850 CIA Revolver. I absolutely love my little revolver. Its totally blacked out, has a caliber entirely too powerful for the size of the gun, and a barrel entirely too small for any kind of decent accuracy, and that = A fucking blast to shoot. Just imagine a revolver small enough to fit in your sock, that takes a .357 Mag....Exactly! The Taurus has been nothing but reliable, and will eat literally ANY .357 mag. round you throw in it! I need to get mine powder coated black though, as some of the paint on the grip is starting to fade, and i have a thing for flat black, totally blacked out guns.

Taurus revolvers come highly recommended as extremely reliable moderately priced revolvers! Dont let the prices fool you, they are very well made, and eat pretty much any quality round you throw at them.

And to the original poster, i do the same thing every other weekend, except when we all get together it looks like some kind of gang war is about to start, tons of people, tons of guns/rifles/shotguns, and tons of beer! All makes for a great time. We all meet up at a friends farm, where there are acres upon acres of hilly land where we can just shoot whatever and where ever we want, for as long as we want. We all are at least 23yrs old and older and show respect to the guns, each other, and how the alcohol effects you while shooting, so we've never had ANY problems/injuries in the last 4 years straight of getting together. I highly recommend it to anyone as a great outlet for your weeks aggression. Theres nothing like having a fucking shitty day/week/weeks, then getting together with a shitload of friends and blasting off rounds, shooting random shit, and letting all the bullshit in your life just melt away.

I dig this thread, so if anyone else has some guns, tell us/show us what you got!

11. Metal Ken

My roommate has a Sig P229 in .357 Sig, its hella fun to shoot. Great gun, really accurate. Apparently, its the standard issue Secret Service gun, from what i hear (My roommate is into that kind of stuff).
    As far as Taurus goes, my only complaint is the stock grip on my M44. Im gonna change it to a hogue Monogrip ASAP. The Monogrips make the gun fit your hand SO Much better. My M66 has a monogrip and it fits so awesomely. I'd actually suggest a monogrip for your gun, too, if you can find it in that size. They're all black \m/

12. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Depends on where you live to own a .50 BMG

Some its not legal what so ever
    Some require a class III license
    Some its legal with no restrictions (unless full auto then requires Class III)

as for .357 Mag I would choose either Smith & Wesson or Ruger

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Banned

Yeah, from what i hear the P226 has always been the standard issue, but now some of them are using the P229. The P226 is also the standard issue for the Navy Seals, as well as used by FBI agents, Ohio State Highway Patrol, Michigan State Police, Texas Department Of Public Safety, as well as used by soldiers in live combat all over the world. You cant argue with that kind of proven reliability. You just cant.

Actually, ANY Sig Sauer is a great gun.

And about accuracy...i even had an ex girl of mine (all 115lbs of her) that had never even shot any kind of firearm before, shoot my P226 for the first time from about 6 car lengths away from a beer bottle target. She popped that bottle on the very first shot!! Then proceeded to shoot two more in a row! So yeah, very accurate, even for people that have no clue what they are doing with a firearm.

Yeah, i might have to check out these grips you speak of. My Taurus' grip sucks and isnt that comfortable. Course, i have big hands and maybe nothing will make this tiny little revolver be totally comfortable for my giant hands, but who knows.

14. possumkiller

ok lets see. well when i got divorced i had to sell all my guns because you cant have them in the barracks in the army. i USED to have a remington 870 20 inch barrel with iron sights and 8 shot mag extension. the usual walmart marlin 30-30 from my dad. my sig sp2009 9mm, 2 ww2 era yugo mausers (DAMN good and cheap!), kimber 25th anniversary .45, kimber custom 2 .45, uberti peacemaker .45lc (with cowboy holster rig, and i totally practiced my quick draw with it!), cz550 .458 elephant rifle, weatherby vanguard in .300wby, remington 700cdl in .280rem, sig p226 9mm, sig p232 .380acp, HK USP combat competition .40, USFA 1911 .45, desert eagle .44 and i think thats about it. oh yeah i had an italian over under 12 and a turkish SxS 12 also. but yeah, i LOVE guns. any of my friends can tell you my mind is like a firearms and ammo library. my dream is to own a B Searcy double in .600NE like Roland from The Lost World movie. yummy. around 60 grand though. (yeah and you thought a prs was expensive)

ah and as far as i know the only place where .50 cals are illegal is the great state of california. and its only the .50BMG rifles and machine guns not handguns or smaller .50 cal sporting rifles like a .505 gibbs safari rifle for instance.

15. Metal Ken

Yeah, the hilarious thing about that, is they seemed to think making .50BMG Sniper Rifles illegal would lower crime, for some reason, even though no one's ever been shot in a crime with a .50 BMG sniper rifle. Go Figure. I guess no one wants to take a 5 foot rifle to a convenience store robbery.

16. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

I dont actually own a gun, yet, but theres just something about the Magnums that really appeals to me... i think its the length of the barrel, it reminds me of the huge Civil War revolvers i've seen :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Revolvers look so much more fun than semi-auto's as well.

17. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 Contributor

If you want a .357 I would go with a S&W,Taurus, or a Ruger super black eagle.

18. Variant

Variant Banned

Handguns are the most satisfying to shoot IMO... I went to a big machinegun shoot back in Arizona and found myself having much more fun with a .44 Magnum and an old Browning made 1911, than with all the Thomson's, M-16's, AK-47's, and 8 mm Mauser's. :shrug: I guess I liken it to drag racing a ridiculously powerful car to actually driving something like an MX-5 on a real racetrack. While fun, strafing the desert with a M-60 isn't really quite the same amount of fun in the long run as a tactical run with a .40 S&W. :cool:

:agreed: Proof that douchebag Democrats can be just as fucking stupid as inbreed Republicans, when they don't think.*

*Variant adheres to his anti-democracy stance for just such instances of agenda over fact & the application of thought.

19. possumkiller

well said, sir

20. Metal Ken

The thing that sucks about those guns is the bullets are 2.00$ each :lol: