Guitars you really wanted, but turned out to be a disappointment

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Jan 7, 2018.

1. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Jackson USA SL-2H

Twisted neck and uneven frets. Scared me off of Jackson forever.

alessandroarzilli likes this.
  2. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Im not a Gibson guy...went through a Les Paul phase, I’ve had 6 of ‘em...custom, traditionals etc...I did find a beautiful ‘97 wine red studio that was the nicest sounding/playing of all of them and had surprisingly better build quality than my 2 traditionals. In the end I replaced the shitty tuners and bridge and swapped out the pickups but I couldn’t get over the archaic heel joint and clunky feel -I don’t mind the weight, I just grew out of the design...WAY overpriced, Gibson “tone” is BS, their “nitro” clear and wood quality claims are also BS..my mid-level Ibanez ARZ800 is a far nicer les paul style guitar in every way...I guess the Gibson voodoo didn’t work on me...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Kyle Jordan likes this.
  3. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

*dblpst

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Every single guitar at my local long and mcquades! I dont know how but they managed to make all of the guitars play like pure shit. Corrosion, terrible action, intonation, bowed/ twisted necks etc.

I sold them my old beautiful JP7 once when I was hard up for cash, a month or 2 later I didnt even recognize it covered in corrosion, all the frets were oxidized, bridge was cocked off at like a 30° angle...

I know this isn't exactly the purpose of the thread but I had to rant somewhere.

Matt08642, AirForbes1, Edika and 2 others like this.
  5. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

L&M in downtown Vancouver is pretty good but the ones in the suburbs are absolute shit. Most the guitars are completely unplayable.

Wolfos likes this.
  6. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i have to say, the L&M in mississauga is BRILLIANT! great guitars and service.
    L&M in burlington is alright.
    L&M in london is decent, but could be better.
    L&M in brampton scares me...
    L&M in st. john's, Newfound land is surprisingly really well kept.

surprised i haven't gone to the one in toronto yet....

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I've just never got along with the upper fret access on Strat-style guitars. Sitting down it is fine, but standing I always feel like my wrist has to twist and bend and can't reach the notes properly.
    This led to unfortunately me getting rid my Ibanez Japan RG and, later, an ESP Vintage Plus.

8. Kreprn

Kreprn SS.org Regular

Jackson ke-2

I have been a jackson guy all my life, but first time i got my hands on a real U.S.A model, it was a huge letdown. The build quality was great and everything was top notch spec-wise, but the guitar just didn’t fit for me. Chunky neck, couldn’t get the action right, VERY dark sounding, little bit muddy even. Also it was heavy as shit.

I actually had it for a basic setup for a customer alongside with a korea-kelly and how much i hate saying this, the cheaper one just felt better for me. Clearer and brighter sounding, thinner neck and got the strings to the same 2mm level as the usa one.

Also owned a professional soloist from the 90s’ and didnt like the neck or the tone of it either. Such a shame as i kinda loved the guitar for some odd reason.

Maybe im just a dinky-guy. Slimmer necks and brighter tones!

9. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

...I don't get it. There's a HUGE difference in upper fret access on all the different SS shaped guitars with there being SO many on offer.......what shape, in your opinion, inherently gives better fret access?

EDIT: or am I misenterpreting "Strat-style guitars" as Super Strat shaped guitars and you actually mean Fenders and Squiers?

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Ovation acoustic guitars with the rounded back.

I was like Oh neat! Ergonomic! until I tried to play it in the classical position. BTW, you can't play Ovation guitars in the classical position. Maybe if you paint your thighs with rubber cement first?

11. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I learned guitar as a kid with my dads old ovation with the larger rounded back. I dropped that thing so many times because it slid right off my leg lol. I ended up sticking grit paper to the bottom of it!

vilk likes this.
  12. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

LTD KS-7, bought it from gear orphanage on reverb. I always liked the aesthetics of these guitars and I was really eager to try the evertune. The evertune turned out to be a big disappointment since it made the guitar have zero sustain. I compared with my Ltd mh1000nt which is very similar guitar but six string, and it was just night and day sustain wise. Weird you barely hear anyone mention this big flaw with evertune. It was also a b-stock and accordingly to the guy at gear orphanage the only issue was some small scratches on the back. The big issue was the nut which was too low and caused the high e and b to buzz no matter action or neck setup. It also had quite a lot of paint bleed on the binding, which my mh1000 have none of.

13. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

On a Les Paul, the neck joint falls exactly where my hand will be if I go along the neck. On Strats I have to twist my wrist to the left.
    It might be due to the longer scale and the position of he strap button on the upper Strat horn, because I don't have the problem with SGs either.

14. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Ah ok, brand specific I can fully understand. I just thought at first you meant all Strat-shaped guitars, which had me baffled ;)

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I've recently gotten my hands on a USA Kelly and I did notice the chunkier neck myself in comparison to a Soloist. The one I got is lighter than what I expected it to be if you take into account the shape of the guitar. I even think is lighter than either of my Soloists and doesn't sound muddy. It has the classic JB/59 combo but sounds a bit brighter/airier in D standard than the Soloist I have with the same pickups in E standard.

I've noticed though that the letdowns I have are usually on the specific guitars I've tried. I think I mentioned in this thread before that I couldn't get the Jackson SLAT 7 I received to sound "right". It just sounded muffled and undefined. I had tried another one of those in the past and it sounded brighter and more focused.

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Based on what he just wrote and you just replied to I think he does mean that lol unless you can think of many 24.75 scale strats that don't have the button on the upper horn?

Dcm81 likes this.
  17. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Sadly, as it turns out, I'm not happy with my Skervesen Mirage, after an accumulated build time of 21 months... What shows once more that I should play guitars before I buy them and that the longer the wait, the higher the expectations. The guitar is too heavy for me, the neck is too wide and the scale is too long. I will sell it again soon. But, I might very well write a NGD before that.

Though, the guitar itself is the most close to perfect guitar I ever had, regarding concept, craftsmanship and build quality. It's just not for me.

[​IMG]

yuri_1973 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  18. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Ibanez JEM.

The build quality was good, but I had never played a guitar with a middle pickup and I absolutely hated that. The guy I took lessons from when I was in high school was a huge JEM fan, but I thought my $250 (used) Jackson DXMG was easier to play, as was the prestige Ibanez (I forget the model number) I had at that time.

19. alvo

alvo SS.org Regular

Don't mean to revive a dead thread, but my 2 cents.

I saved all my money some years ago to acquire a Mayones Multiscale/Fan Fret Regius 8. It was the Zebrano one with maple fretboard and wenge neck. Well I got it, but it's bridge PUP tones were just bad. The angle of the pickups are just poorly designed and improperly spaced IMO which makes the bass side strings sound more like middle position tone. I got better grind and djent from the closer to bridge bridge PUPS out my straight baritone Carvin DC800 and Ibanez M80M.

The "mid position" bridge tone probably isn't as bad on the multiscale Mayo 7 strings, but still there's more space between bridge PUP and bridge than regular baritones.

20. RiksRiks

RiksRiks ERG Player Wannabe

Caparisons in general. They have killer specs and looks but I felt like I was playing a very plain guitar, it's just my taste though, the neck profile didn't do it for me and the fretboard didn't felt any kind of specially flat or round. I really wanted to like them since I'm a huge fan of their looks and heard of their quality, but they're just not for me!

MatiasTolkki likes this.