Guitars sound distant.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by wretchedspawn, Nov 5, 2007.

1. wretchedspawn

wretchedspawn Conquering theThrone

How do I make the guitars in my mixes sound more upfront? I know they need a healthy dose of mids and reverse for the low end. But it seems like no matter what I do they are lacking a bit of presence.

I have been recently recording through my DI due to the fact I don't have a decent imstrument mic. Could this be my problem?

If any of you are interested I could make put up a small clip so you can hear exactly what it is I'm attempting to communicate.

Thanks for any help.

2. Beowulf

Beowulf The Archimedes Codex

Tell us what you do at the moment to mix and what instruments you are mixing the guitars against - any keyboards in there? It may be that you need to tweak them, not the guitars! Mixing is a funny old beast. More info dude! The clip will be a good idea with that so that we can hear, and hopefully it can act as a 'before and after' snapshot of your song.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A clip would be huge, but yeah - depending on what you mean by "DI" that could very well be the root of your problem.

4. Leec

Leec Woopah! Contributor

What Line 6 product are you using? I thought nearly all the Line 6 bits had good recording options.

5. wretchedspawn

I'm just mixing them against drums and vocals. No bass or keyboards.

Without going to far into detail with what I do to ruin my mixes....There are 4 rhythm guitar tracks panned 100:75:75:100. I high pass the guitars at around 60hz. Usually a slight boost by about 3 dB or so somewhere between 700-1000(roughly) and to cut out a bit of the fizz I find the lowest frequency I can before I can notice it affecting the sound then cut a little higher than whatever frequency that is. I try to make the kick and toms a bit more full sounding to help provide for the low end more due to the lack of bass. For the cymbals I boost around about 11-12khz or so for that "sizzle." For vocals I usually cut were I boost the guitars and a boost at about 3khz thay seems to them a bit more crisp and clear.

By DI i meant Direct Injection or Direct Out...I've heard different folks call it different things......but like the fellas with the Pods do.

I'm currently stuck with the shitty end of the Line 6 products. I use a Spider II. I'm saving up to grab a 5150.

Here's a link to the clip. I can't seem to embed the player.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=759603&songID=5942436

6. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Is it bad that the moment I saw distant guitar tone, I immediately thought before I opened the thread which Line6 are you using?

They have made some great advances with the XT and later, but the Spiders, POD 2.0's etc always sounded like they were being played in another room to me, no reverb on them at all, just nothing ever sat right.

I'm glad I got rid of the POD 2.0, and am quite surprised at how decent the XT is too.

7. motaboy

motaboy Active Member

ohhhh, dude, upload that clip to a simpler place to download from (try Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire)

So without listening to the clip ,

1. yes - the DI might very well be your problem. You need to at least put them thru some modeler, like NI Guitar Rigs or a pod like ^^ said.

2. Guitars has presence in the 3-6KHz area too, but you would probably shoot for a narrower Q than that when EQing a track.

8. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

I think when he says DI, I think he means the Spider direct out, rather than just going direct in.

9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Hmm. It definitely lacks speaker cab "presence". Upper mids, say in the 1-3K area, with a narrow Q, as mentioned, might help some, but it also might make it so think and nasally that you get nothing useful.

What's your audio host? If you can, try running the guitars through a convolution processor with a good speaker cabinet impulse - it should definitely help give some of the real phasing and presence of a mic'd speaker.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Do you have a mic? I messed around with a buddy's Spyder once, and it actually didn't sound that bad mic'd up. I never tried it direct, but the mic'd sound, in a mix, sounded more like an amp than the amp did in the room. :lol:

11. Leec

Leec Woopah! Contributor

That's what I was gonna suggest. If you can use it, download Sir1 and put your guitars through that.
    If the Spider can do it, turn off the AIR modelling (it'll sound awful as you play) and record that, then put that through Sir with a decent impulse loaded in it.

12. wretchedspawn

I fiddled with the 1-3khz area a bit and it helped some but it also did as you said it might and made it sound a bit nasally. And my audio host is mackie Tracktion 2.

13. eaeolian

You should be able to drop a VST convolution host like Sir1 and a decent cabinet impulse in, and play with the results. I'll bet it helps a lot.

14. wretchedspawn

I downloaded Sir1 and I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Would you mind giving me a bit of guidance please?

I had completely forgotten. I grabbed 2 pg57s froma friend about a week ago. How noticeable is the difference between that and the sm version. Or is it even worth trying?

15. eaeolian

Go here and pick up a cab model. Add Sir1 in as an effect, and load the convolution wave into it, then play back.

16. wretchedspawn

Wow. The difference is like night and day. Thanks dudes.

17. nbarts

nbarts BipolaredrosiD

Get a mic.

18. HotRodded7321

HotRodded7321 SS.org Regular

Just layer your tracks and mess with panning and volume. You can also eq multiple tracks to create a more 3-d sound when recording. Just remember, subtle changes.

19. Leec

Leec Woopah! Contributor

Cool you like impulses. I live and die by 'em at the moment.
    Check out Andy Sneap's forum on Ultimate Metal. There are some very good impulses on there.
    I also have hundreds of guitar cab impulses. I could upload 'em if you want.

20. eaeolian

Glad it worked out. :yesway: