Guitars = constant wall of noise in my mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Slavocracy, Apr 20, 2018.

1. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

in the mix on the first post, I think your guitars don´t as bad as you think, just feel a lot of low end, maybe hi passing higher,

Are you using new strings? dull and muddiness are problems that old strings bring on

Check balances, one thing I make is "testing or mixing" in mono, if guitars in mono are clouding the rest of the instruments, something is wrong

Honestly, I think in your mix you have more problems on drums than guitars

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    fps likes this.
  2. rezafelayati

rezafelayati self-claimed ERG nerd

I love that "less mid" reference track, to my ears it sounds more balance than the more mid one. The latter sounds like the guitar is kind of overpowering the other instruments and I can't really hear the snare and the bass guitar

3. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Nice! I'm looking forward to acquiring some outboard gear. Mics and outboard gear are going to ruin my wallet :(

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, I don't want to give the wrong impression, you can definitely do great work with the preamps in any decent interface these days, and for any sort of digital input it becomes way less important...

...but yeah, differences that at first seem pretty subtle start to really jump out at you as you work with better pres. When I grabbed my BAE, I spent the first week or so doing test tracks here and there and everything sounded somehow more "solid" through it. And the CAPI V28s I grabbed recently, while I don't like them as much on high gain guitar (they sound very "modern" as you start to push them), they're fucking spectacular on my acoustic. I guess bigger picture this stuff matters less than 1) good source sound, 2) good mic placement, and 3) good mic (and, well, let's go back to the source and start with a point zero, something worth recording in the first place), but since a lot of recording is chasing diminishing returns, these are pretty clear returns nonetheless.

5. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I didnt see anyone mention it here, but it seems like you are trying to get everything to stand out front. Automate for what you want to be in front and pull back what you dont want to be. Also, dont be afraid to low pass the guitars more, since you have so many synth elements. Let the synths ride the top end for air.