Guitarmory fakemachine

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by diagrammatiks, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I’m not a fan of people stealing other’s designs, but if the original design owner isn’t doing anything with it, then I’m not sure how I feel. I don’t think it’s fair to just sit on a design and do nothing - that’s almost like the technology patent trolls. And I’m definitely against knock offs of companies like Strandberg, who are out there actually selling guitars and trying to come up with a business that meets market demand. Overall, I’m personally more into new and unique designs, but I know a lot of people want a more conservative looking guitar.

LeviathanKiller and c7spheres like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

At this point the perceived and expected outrage over these things is bigger than the actual reaction to them.

The fact that most folks don't even really know the back story is testament to that.

No one cares about Blackmachine anymore. At least anyone outside an incredibly small bubble of folks.

Basically, unless you're a "close personal friend" of Doug, looking to sell one, or trying to relive the halcyon days of 2013, this is just another pseudo-RG/Soloist.

3. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Under $1000? Maybe I buy one. Is it chambered and compound radius fretboard like the real deals?

4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Nope to being chambered but yes to the radius and... it's also a real guitar.

5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

1K for a guitar made in China starts to be an awful lot given the excess money isn't going to go to the workers.

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The market and means was all there if Doug had given the go ahead. It could have been strictly a UK size shop like Mayones or had a Korean line alongside expanding the same way as Strandberg. It had the potential to be huge and others jumped on that market when things weren’t moving.

Another Blackmachine clone line just joins alexipress, Ormsby, skervesen and a countless others. It is a throwback to see all the “headstock will snap”, “body is to thin” etc comments again after gutarmory was posted.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Did they have headstock snapping issues with Blackmachine type heastocks? They do look a bit thin. Reminds me of when I had my Parker Fly Deluxe. It's one of the things that was always in the back of my mind.

8. LeviathanKiller

These are just protos, the originals are pretty beefy as well so we'll see what comes out in the end. Too thick and it looks hockey-stick-like. I think it's going to depend on the woods used too.

Maybe we should throw one of our protos at a couch and make a post about how it should have never left the factory as part of a formal testing event.

GunpointMetal and The906 like this.
  9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Nope, rock solid. Even invictus said they ran theirs into a wall one time and it didn’t break(which might explain the state of their guitars they shipped out!).

The headstock are single piece as far as I remember, maybe if they were multiple laminates they could come apart with the tension? But I don’t glue wood together so it’s not my area. Just growing, cutting and occasionally burning it.

c7spheres likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

multi-laminates are stronger than single pieces of wood, unless you split them directly along the seams (which is extremely unlikely).

narad and c7spheres like this.
  11. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Well, as one of the local Blackmachine nutters, I'm in on this. Looks sick. Is there an ETA on when these might hit the market?
    I'm assuming the included pickups will be Guitarmory sets?

12. gunch

gunch chungus

Might be cool if they're not firewood

13. LeviathanKiller

I don't have an ETA yet. Pickups included will be Guitarmory sets afaik. I'll follow up with more details after I talk to the rest of the team later this week.

14. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Have you thought about neck woods yet? I know roasted maple is popular right now but I'd love a Blackmachine-esque 7 with a wenge neck.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  15. LeviathanKiller

• Pickup sets will be Guitarmory sets (as expected)
    • No ETA, it's just when get everything together decide the manufacturing of them is good-to-go en masse
    • US line, customers can pick the woods. Import, right now we're thinking maple + wenge stripes.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  16. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

you forgot to add:
    "BOO HISS You're ripping someone off and we don't like it and stuff
    .....just get an used Prestige"

yet everyone is happy to buy a Dingwall NG

if the quality is there, the materials, the build method, the time and the QC, then the price of a factory would hike up eventually reaching that. Just because its made in one country doenst mean it has to be X price.

Those factories work a la carte, you get what you order. If you want the bare minimum specs and time, then yes, you can build a 300$ guitar with them, but if you want good material, fancy specs, and them to take their time, its gonna cost more, eventually reaching a higher price. Yes, China is "cheap", but that only means that if you make the exact guitar in a different country, lets say Korea, that guitar would cost more. Quality would be exactly the same (ideally), you just have to pay more to get it done

people think that because its "thin" and they see the strigns going trough the air, like on a Parker", but think about the straight pull of each string, and how many strings are actually pulling out the thinnest part of the headstock. EVeryone says the same with the Ormsby Hype headstock, but if you look closely its only 2(almost 3) strings pulling out after the thinnest part, all the other strings are pulling a part of the headstock thats directly connected to the neck. Never heard of anyone snapping the headstock, so this guitar should be fine

c7spheres likes this.
  17. narad

narad Owned a Zune

At this point I just kinda think... how hard is it to make a more original design? If going through the hassle of launching a guitar model, why not put your own personal stamp on it in a way that wouldn't be negligible if one looks at it from across the room with less than 20/20 vision?

Didn't know the guitarmory guy was here and frankly the pickups look great and wish them all the best, but think it'd be cooler if someone would actually want a guitarmory guitar, and not want a blackmachine-but-cant-find-or-afford-it-so-this-is-it-i-guess guitar.

StevenC, xzacx and c7spheres like this.
  18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That people actually might want to buy? Very.

That's why folks are willing to put up with some shitty builders and wonky guitars, they really want that cool looking guitar.

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

So consensus is that copies are fine as long as it's not east asia or weird eastern european country.

except for narad who sticks to his principles.

Adieu likes this.
  20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Copying is a de facto and historic thing in guitar manufacturing. The fact that BMs are just thin superstrats with a headstock that isn't original either also doesn't help.