guitarist who are actually good, but get a bad wrap

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by M3CHK1LLA, Sep 5, 2020.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

It depends on the circles you were in at the time. I've always been a bigger Winger fan than, say, Metallica :D but when you make the one of the biggest selling albums of all time and feud with Kip, Winger will get pissed on by a lot of people. That said, Winger made killer music and had a lot of chart success. Their Pull album is overlooked, but I think it is outstanding. That said, the mid-90s didn't do them any favors.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Just let me bring up how awesome Reb Beach is without clogging another 5 pages of this thread. :lol:

Jonathan20022 and Louis Cypher like this.
  3. ArtDecade

Gotcha!

[​IMG]

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  4. ArtDecade

And if you dig Reb, check out his side project with Jeff Pilson, Robin McAuley, and Matt Starr - Black Swan.

mmr007 and mikah912 like this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Does Jeff have any projects where he sings lead vocals? Dude's an underrated as fuck singer.

Louis Cypher and ArtDecade like this.
  6. ArtDecade

He sang lead vocals on this Lynch & Pilson project.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  7. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

He wouldn't be mentioned in this thread if it wasn't for Stewart from Beavis and Butthead...that alone torpedoed his band's status

8. mmr007

mmr007 CIA Fraud Investigator

Reb Beach was the easily the worst guitarist in Dokken

9. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Right. John 5 is a great guitarist, but also one who works with big personalities (David Lee Roth and Rob Zombie too) that tend to get most of the attention. Which is why he's almost certainly underrated in the public consciousness, even though I know he has his own little tribe of fans.

10. STRHelvete

STRHelvete SS.org Regular

QUOTE="mmr007, post: 5327611, member: 27955"]Reb Beach was the easily the worst guitarist in Dokken[/QUOTE]
    At least he isn't John 5...then he'd really be terrible amirite?

11. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

LOL!!
    Reb is incredible. Saw him a few years back with Whitesnake shortly after Doug had left and Reb had taken over that band leader slot. He was just incendiary that night, tbf so was Joel Hoekstra. Hell of a guitar duo. All his Winger stuff tho is awesome, I still play Pull & In the Heart of the Young loads! I do feel for Reb a little as the whole time he has been with Whitesnake Coverdale has favoured Doug Aldrich and now it seems Joel when it comes to writing new material.

As Ive mentioned him I will throw Doug Aldrich out there, he's been the hired gun too many times and prob most know him for being in Dio and Whitesnake but his band Burning Rain is fantastic and Doug just rips it up like no tomorrow. Revolution Saint's his "Super Group" with Jake Blades & Deen Castronovo is tight as well but a bit more AOR'y than the straight up hard rock of Burning Rain

ArtDecade and mikah912 like this.
  12. Louis Cypher

Don't think anyone has mentioned any female guitarist yet, generally by dint of them not being male they tend to get a lot of sh1t when they are actually really really good.
    Couple of my favourite ones that immediately come to mind are Courtney Cox & Nikki Stringfield (The Iron Maidens & Femme Fatale) they generally get dumped on & dismissed coz they are in a tribute act but they are both amazing. Michelle Meldrum (Phanthom Blue and Meldrum) sadly passed away a few yrs back but she started out at like 16 in Phanthom Blue when they were pretty much a female Racer X, she was incredible. Got a lot more metal with Meldrum along side the likes of Gene Holgan on one album, but she was an insane player. Also married to John Norum till she passed away. Berit Hagen (aka The Commander-In-Chief). Her Classical Crossover album with classical guitarist Craig Ogden is one of my favourite guitar instramental albums. She is SO good. And (lights the touch paper and stands back....) Nita Strauss. Incredible guitarist and from all I have read of her and seen poss one of the nicest people in rock considering all the insane amount of BS she has to put up with just coz she is a success and getting the recognition she, and a lot more women guitarist, deserve.
    Nil Brosh too. If Tony MacAlpine, Paul Gilbert & Guthrie Govan can see it then everyone else should too

XPT707FX and ArtDecade like this.
  13. STRHelvete

STRHelvete SS.org Regular

I'm currently watching a 2017 Alice Cooper concert on Youtube and Nita is damn near the star of the show. She is absolutely breathtaking and I instantly became a fan. As amazing as she is, it's sad to think there are guys in the crowd nitpicking her playing or assuming someone's behind a curtain playing her stuff instead of her. Female musicians in general are super underrated.

XPT707FX, gabito and Louis Cypher like this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Winger was generally disliked because they debuted in 1988, when hair metal was already about to burst its bubble, with song lyrics like this:
    Impressive guitar riffs, but calling the lyrics stupid would be an understatement. I guess that's kind of like the vast majority of metal, but when you are making a song to try to appeal to the masses, you have to put a little more thought into it and try to be less, well, you know...

15. ArtDecade

Yeah, but Mr. Big debuted a year later with equally stupid lyrics and gets a pass because they weren't targeted by the biggest selling metal band of all time.

bostjan likes this.
  16. LostTheTone

The ghost of Lemmy has entered the chat...

bostjan likes this.
  17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Howso? Outside of Japan, is Mr. Big more notable than Winger? To put some perspective, Winger's debut album peaked at #21 and Mr. Big's at #39. Winger's follow-up peaked at #15, and Mr. Big's at #16, in spite of the "hit" single (honestly, though, that song is more famous for being included in the Monster Ballads compilations than it ever was when it was new).

I'll admit I own two Mr. Big CD's, but I became a huge Paul Gilbert fan after first hearing Racer X around 1999-2000, and I wanted to check out his mainstream act. I honestly only listened to them maybe once or twice, even thought I was spinning Technical Difficulties multiple times a day for a while.

ArtDecade likes this.
  18. ArtDecade

That's exactly the point. They debuted around the same time, both had tremendous musicians, silly lyrics, rockers and ballads, and charted roughly the same. The reason Winger gets so much crap is that Metallica (again the biggest selling metal band of all time) took shots at Kip in the media and in their Black Album documentary. If they decided to target Eric Martin instead, we could have expected his face on a dart board and a Mr. Big shirt on Beavis and Butthead. Winger was no different than most of the spandex-clad wearing glam bands of the late-80s, but they found a massive enemy in a massive band and that hurt their image more than a lot of the others.

Also, I love Mr Big, too. And Winger. And even Metallica. It was all silly.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  19. Louis Cypher

I agree, between Metallica Nothin Else Matter video and the Black album doc and then Beavis and Butthead (the irony being all anyone really remembers of that show is ripping Winger and blowing up White Zombie) Winger didn't stand a chance they were always gonna be, even now, "That Band". Which as you both said considering the talent and chops & experience in both Winger & Mr Big is so chuffing harsh! (we're talking ex-members of DLR, Racer X, Talas, Dixie Dreggs, Alice Cooper & big name session players like Reb & Pat Torpey). Who ever Metallica picked on at that point, they were gonna feel it big time in reputation and then on in to sales etc.

Having said all that, the lyrics to 17 havent aged well at all.

ArtDecade likes this.
  20. LostTheTone

Well, whoever she was she's 40 now, so she probably hasn't aged wonderfully either!