Guitar World Announce their Guitarist of the Decade as voted for by the readers

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You're the only one who has gotten offended enough to start name calling.

Folks just think you're wrong. No need to project accusations that had not been made.

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I read about couple of really passive aggressive comments before that. Something about men having bigger brains and times before modern science... At least Bostjan agreed to some degree (maybe I think), and have possibly thought about this too.

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

You are drastically overselling what I said.

I said that the only evidence going one way is either anecdotal or based on logical conclusions from other studies (therefore inferred) and the evidence going the other way is nothing, so you can't say this guy is wrong, based on evidence. Scant evidence tips the scale against no evidence.

And what valuation do we put on the width of someone's vibrato anyway? The entire base of the argument is meritless. If width of vibrato is a gauge for a musician's worth in some way, then Ethel Merman is the Greatest Singer of All Time. :lol:

It's like trying to argue about whether a shiny new penny is worth more than an old dull one when pennies are virtually worthless either way.

4. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Cant believe I have started two threads in the last couple weeks that have descended in to how women/girls cant play the guitar as well as men! Dunno whether to laugh at the complete stupidity of it or feel down about how narrow minded this forum is at times

I have nothing to add on this strange left field deviation to this thread other than I am so happy for Nita that she has been recognized with a cover as she is a monster of a player and I agree completely with Max, Prigmnr and others comments on this men are "scientifically" better than women at guitar BS

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

[​IMG]

Misogyny is unfortunately hardwired into the internet.

brandon7s, CTID, XPT707FX and 2 others like this.
  6. Metropolis

Why it's wrong to say that, and we are talking about top minority level of guitar players here. Women are better singers in their field of doing with their high notes, and in some cases they just sound better. Is that un-equal because women do them scientifically better? It's not even being narrow minded, pretty much the opposite to think possibility why things are how they are. There is always a "why". Oh.. that stupid Fender thread was started by you too, I see... Calling someone sexist and misogynistic is just an easy way to out.

7. Louis Cypher

Seriously, are you actually listening to yourself?
    Tbh you are completely within your rights to convince yourself you are correct bout this and that you are in no way being sexist or misogynistic, I'm not gonna argue with you. Good luck to you.

vilk, XPT707FX, StevenC and 1 other person like this.
  8. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

With respect to physiology and finger dexterity, have you ever tried to play a violin, viola, or cello? It is considerably harder than guitar. Somehow, classical musicians seem to be pretty balanced gender-wise. I can't think of anyone assuming a female violinist or flautist is worse than a male when talking to orchestra musicians. I would throw out there that girls avoid guitar to avoid being sexualized and marginalized by the community.

As I said before, if you have concrete evidence that women cannot play guitar as well as men due to physiology, present it. Your singing / voice range analogy isn't evidence. That one is actually pretty common sense and supported. It doesn't make sense to say vocal chords have any relation to fingers.

To why is it bad to say? I know someone who has been fired for making similar comments. I took your stance at the time with my coworkers. The result, my manager said I needed to stop because several female coworkers found the conversations uncomfortable. So I talked to them and realized that I was being extremely sexist under the guise of thinking I was pushing for some open-minded middleground. Once you realize that the affect of your comments alienate people, you need to accept it is sexist, even if it was not your intention.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    vilk, XPT707FX, Vyn and 2 others like this.
  9. Louis Cypher

Speaking generally, the main problem when someone is expressing such discriminatory opinions, in the case of this thread sexist and misogynistic views and they are being made in an apparently thought out, educated way claiming unqualified unproven scientific facts and quoting random unverified sources like a youtube video or a Facebook post that cant be quoted or referenced they have seen as proof they are right, others engage in an educated thought out way because they believe they are arguing on a level playing field which unfortunately just allows for the discrimination to continue as though it is a suitable side in the argument. When what should happen when someone raises such opinions is it should be called out for what it is and either ignored or treated with the complete contempt it deserves not as a valid side to an argument that should have been consigned to the distant past

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. Louis Cypher

Sorry to double post but, this quote is brilliant. End of. No point in having a mind if you never change it.

And if you still feel you arent being sexist or misogynistic after reading that post then do as Fantom did and be brave enough to discuss your opinions face to face with either a female guitarist or just another female and see what they say

11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Sincerely, I looked back in the thread and I'm not seeing it. Where are the sexist, misogynistic and disriminatory views and opinions?

12. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

In this new world of justice and unity and acceptance, deviant opinions simply tend to.... vanish.

Quietly.

Presumably, without the deviant opinion holders' consent. Just poof.

And no, we don't want to be seen talking about this, lest we too.... poof.

13. MaxOfMetal

All posts are still up and in their entirety. :yesway:

vilk likes this.
  14. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

Martyr complex has entered the chat

vilk likes this.
  15. Louis Cypher

Anyone who thinks there is no sexism or misogyny in this utterly random "debate" (yet again) on how women are incapable of playing the guitar as well as men feel free to voice your reasons face to face to an actual woman and let us all know what they think of being told they are physiologically incapabale of playing as well as a man, ie small hands etc etc, and how they should stick to singing..... in the meantime is there any chance we can all get back to the original reason for this thread

16. MaxOfMetal

Is this issue even on shelves yet? Anyone have an e-sub to GW?

I used to subscribe to all the mags, but it's been several years.

17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

OF COURSE women are unable to play the electric guitar

Bein barefoot and pregnant all the time = risk of electrocution & ergonomics issues galore

Like, DUH

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My immediate thought is "do people even read magazines anymore?"
    How has the internet not completely killed that industry yet. :lol:

c7spheres and Adieu like this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

Oh it has. I give it another decade before magazines are practically extinct.

Which is why it's weird folks are going all goofy over this. :lol:

TedEH likes this.
  20. Metropolis

So what's the real reason there, is it culture related? Why there is no female Yngwie, Vai or Satch? Or maybe some more modern guitar heroes like Tosin, Misha or Plini? Is it too manly thing to do, play in a rock... metal band? And no, Nita Strauss isn't one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.