Guitar World Announce their Guitarist of the Decade as voted for by the readers

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Louis Cypher, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Does it matter much though? Realistically, nobody is going to share exactly the same set of "qualifications" for what they think is significant in being named a "guitarist of the decade".

2. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

From the article itself:

upload_2019-12-6_13-13-20.png

TL;DR: chops, influence on guitarists/guitar scene, level of success, pushing guitar further, cultural relevance, visibility.

Splinterhead and TedEH like this.
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I agree with your basic point here, and there are some crazy-good technical players in your list - Zappa and Beck being the two notable ones, though to be fair Jimi is probably better than he's given credit for among "technical" guitarists (who IMO tend to under-rate him a little because of how over-rated he is in popular culture - people seem to think just impossible things came off the guitar when he picked it up, but that's hardly the reality)...

...but you lose me in a BIG way with a few of those names, most notably Angus Young who would be the first person to tell you he's not a technical player (I once read an interview with him where he described his band as "music for people who just want to go out and get fucked", which IMO speaks volumes to how much thought he's giving technical considerations). Page is a little questionable too, and had a reputation for being sloppy live (probably in no small part because he was in a band with John Bonham, whose substance consumption habits were legendary).

There's absolutely more to technique than playing simple lines incredibly fast, though, I'm with you to that point, and Jeff Beck's bar work is fucking unreal, in particular.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Kind of same... general traits of a female body don't fit to playing guitar as well as male. It's mostly due to it's somewhat physical nature and how instrument is constructed or something like that. You really need hand muscles to do that, and in some cases long fingers and big hands. Of course anyone can work their way around some physical barriers and develope their whole style around which feels comfortable enough. So, I think there is reasons why things are how they are.

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Realistically, I don't think the size of a person's hands plays much into it. I know lots of tiny dudes with tiny hands who play perfectly well. Tons of people learn to play at a young age where their hands aren't adult sized yet.

You know what I think the difference is? Nita is presented as guitarist first instead of a woman first. There's no shortage of "guitar chick" sex objects, so to speak, but we're seeing more and more women being treated as musicians first. Her praise is earned via her playing instead of her outfit.

6. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

Thanks for the post!
    Looks like a comprehensive list of qualifiers.
    I guess after the views/likes/streams are added up it all comes down to opinion eventually...

stevexc likes this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

So the picked 20 guitarists, and just four for the covers (of course they can't do 20 covers).

Their criteria seem to largely make sense. I guess the complaints in here boil down to terminology. "Guitarists of the Decade" maybe implies some sort of competition and ranking. This list might more be 20 guitarists who are representative of prominent genres of guitar-driven music over the last decade, which doesn't quite has the same pithiness.

c7spheres and Spicypickles like this.
  8. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Am I the only one who thought "Tremonti" was just some PRS model name and not a real person? Creed was fine, but wasn't that like 20 years ago?

vilk, Adieu and StevenC like this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So Tremonti did just jump the gun and thought he was the guitarist of the decade? That's pretty funny.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wait people actually don't realize Alter Bridge exists and released a shit-ton more music than Creed? That and a solo career? This place really is a bubble.

stevexc, sirbuh and XPT707FX like this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I didn't know he is long before I got to this forum. They have the McCarty, so I figured Tremonti was just a model name too.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I remember PRS marketed the fuck out of the Tremonti model in the early 00's. Multiple full page ads in all the guitar magazines.

I remember being shocked it was the dude from Creed. :lol:

vilk, sirbuh, XPT707FX and 2 others like this.
  13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

A friend had one in like 2008 or 2009 and the heaviest his music taste ever got was Rory Gallagher, so I just figured it was a guitar.

14. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Not everyone pays attention to every possible culture and genre of music. I know that may sound surprising, but it is true. Aside from my preferred music, I listen to various types of pop music on the radio whenever my wife is in the car. I'm not completely oblivious. I still don't think I've ever heard an Alter Bridge song or connected the band name to a song. I have seen their album covers before, but how am I supposed to know they are that famous and related to Creed if I didn't really follow Creed closely?

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Yeah and I think their brains can overheat if they try to play above 110 bpm sixteenth notes.

16. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

fucking

"hand muscles"

17. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Yeah I thought they already proved back in the 1800s that men were best at things because we have bigger brains or something? Or like the bumps on the head or something like that? Anyway, the science points to men being superior guitarists than women. It's not their fault, it's just the way God made them.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  18. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

I actually had no idea mark tremonti was still an active musician until i opened this thread

19. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

But PRS always does that

Remember back in the day the named all their licensed Korean stuff after some Santana dude for no apparent reason?

20. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I didn’t know anything about him other than he had sig gear with PRS before this thread cropped up.

Adieu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.