Guitar Tone Changes When Armed

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Stephenar19, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Stephenar19

Stephenar19 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    I'm pretty new to self-recording but I've been trying to self-teach myself the ins and outs of Reaper and I can't figure out what's going on here.

I'm running my guitar to a pod HD500 and then to my pc via usb, and then my output is back through the pod to two studio monitors. When I go to arm and record, however, my tone changes quite a bit. It sounds muddy and almost like it's saturated with reverb. When I unarm the track, everything sounds as it should. I checked my FX in reaper and I don't have anything active on the track I'm recording on, so I'm assuming this is probably something with my playback settings?

Does anyone know what would cause this? My preferences are as follows:
    Reaper Preferences - Device.PNG

Reaper Preferences - Device ASIO config.PNG

2. Joshua

Joshua 6 Strings Only

Since you're playing through your POD, you need to disable record monitoring on your track. It's playing back the same signal your POD is, but with the delay from the buffer size you have set, so it's effectively just smearing your sound all over the place.

In Reaper, when you press the Arm Track button, a little speaker icon appears next to it. Click that so it says "Record Monitoring: OFF: and you should be all set

3. Stephenar19

Thank you so much, this has been driving me crazy. So what I was essentially hearing was two signals?
    guitar>pod>speaker + guitar>pod>PC>pod>speaker?

4. Joshua

Joshua 6 Strings Only

Exactly. When you were monitoring through reaper, you were hearing the sound your POD was already outputting when you play guitar. Then, you were also hearing the exact same signal through reaper, but delayed by several milliseconds, giving you that gross, smeared sound. Monitoring is useful when using ampsims, or running vocals through an FX chain, but not so much if you're already monitoring through something like your POD.

5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

.....I thought he was talking about playing while having a gun. I was so confused until I read through this

6. Stephenar19

Ah good to know. I still have a lot to learn with Reaper