Guitar Strings for Metal

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BMFan30, Mar 24, 2021.

1. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I already placed my order so I got basically every pack of strings everybody mentioned, especially those that got mentioned more than once. Next time I'm buying bass strings, I'm going to add a couple more guitar strings from this thread to my next order.

Thanks to all for coming to my aid! :pops::rocker::pops:

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  2. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Personally, I would say to use the thickest strings that you can plausibly be comfortable with in your normal tuning. That depends on your guitar's scale/stringedness but I definitely urge people to go with higher tension and thicker strings than they think they need at least on the bottom strings.

Two important things for playing metal are chuggability and tuning versatility.

If you want to do fast, accurate picking patterns on an open string, you need the string to always be where you expect and not be flapping around. You want more tension to make sure you get that; and enough more that you can actually feel it not just see it in a string calculator.

Also metal uses a lot of different tunings, and typically that means tuning down. If you have the perfect set of strings for D-standard then you will be flapping when you go to Drop-C. It's just more practical to have at least some scope to turn down a half-step or go to drop.

On my 27" 7-string, which is tuned to A-standard I use Daddario EXL157 Baritone strings as my bottom six, then add an extra 11 or 12 as my top string. That gives me a 68 as my low A, and the tension is good, certainly much better than the 59 or 64 I had on before.

However, I am still thinking of changing up again. I think I would be happy with a 70-something on the A, and maybe a 60-something for the second string.

Playing 7 has also made me re-evaluate the strings I like on my 6s because I've realized that I now play those fast rhythm lines much much better on my 7, and that I want to get the same kind of tension on my 6s.

BMFan30 likes this.
  3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I’ll also say that you don’t necessarily want thicker strings than you actually need, unless a thicker, less clear tone is what you want. You’ll get a duller tone, which could be desired, but in most cases isn’t.

Neon_Knight_ and BMFan30 like this.
  4. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Elegant Djentleman

Right - You always need to look at what you need. But figuring out what you need is the real pain.

Like you say, you shouldn't put on thicker strings just for the sake of it. But equally you shouldn't be so precious about your tone that you won't put on the right strings for your guitar and tuning. You're looking for the sweet spot.

However, I do think people are too squeemish about using thicker strings. Your amp has knobs on it, you know? There is almost nothing you can do to adjust how a set of strings plays but there are loads of options to adjust the tone.

BMFan30 and Blytheryn like this.
  5. danbox

danbox SS.org Regular

Are they? Am I just too weak over here complaining about 10-52s being too hard to bend tuned a full step down on 25.5 :lol: it always seems like everyone recommends way bigger strings.

Except Jason Richardson, anyone else tuning down to g# (f#?), 58 gauge on 25.5”?

BMFan30 likes this.
  6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex SS.org Regular

Whatever is cheap. Gauges are more important than brand to me. I will say i've really grown to love wound G strings, though. I recommend everyone try it at least once if you're downtuned. If you're a C-standard or lower, you need a wound G string. Im surprised wound g sets are not more common for the heavier strings.

BMFan30 likes this.
  7. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

My 5 packs of strings came in, the 6th pack is still on the way. I got D'Addario NYXL, D'Addario Pro Steels, Ernie Ball: Ultra Slinky, Super Slinky & Regular Slinky. The Dean Marley Steels are still on the way.

This NYXL packing is smoother than suede, shit could detail a car into it's shiniest state.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  8. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

I went to go change my strings but realized the fretboard was in need of a cleaning and polishing so I ordered me a kit for that. I don't even want to put new strings on that dirty fretboard.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.