Guitar sounds weird when using my interface

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Gmork, Mar 26, 2020 at 3:36 PM.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I use a steinberg ur22 and often use preamp and distortion pedals into it with cab sims but no matter what i use the recorded sound sounds as if i was using my neck pickup, fat fuzzed out and dark.
    Is this normal? Ive always just compensated for it by boosting 3k/5k to get it to sound more like it actually sounds but would preferit it just captured it more accurately to begin with.

2. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh Deathgrind Demon

How much are you boosting that EQ at? Do you run a power-amp sim between the pedal/preamp and the cab sim? And how hot are you running the input level in? I'm sure you have experimented with many things. But a lot of producers run pedal/preamp -> power amp off a amp sim -> cab sim/IR. I wonder what difference this would make. Wall of Sound has a good free 6L6 emulation.
    EDIT: I noticed pedals sound much darker the higher you turn up their volume - especially Muffs

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 7:30 PM
  3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

"Poweramp off a amp sim" not sure quite what u mean, mind explaining please?

Its not as severe as i make it sound but to get the point across my explanation works.

I use a 2db mild bump at 3k and again at 5k (and a narrow cut at 4k for the yuckies)..
    So nothing extreme.

I make sure my input isnt clipping. Ive tried with the ignite poweramp sim > cab sim. And tried without the poweramp sim.

4. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

Yeah I meant pretty much the same thing you did with the Ignite just using a different plug in for power-amp and bypassing the preamp. So basically the sound is not as bright as it is when you hear it from the cab?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 8:01 PM
  5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Yeah, like if i was using all the same setting, whether its my tightmetal, vhd, ANYTHING. through a real amp/poweramp/ cab etc itll sound normal but plug into the interface (with good poweramp sim and good cab sim/IRs) and it just sounds darker and mushier.

6. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

It's subtle, but noticeable. There's something about micing a real cab that gets that crisp high end. I've got a Reload and with Wall of Sound I have to use the EQ in there to tailor the sound. And use way different settings on the amp head to Reload most of the time to computer. It's a different world indeed. I think you are doing the right thing with the EQ, using it as a corrective EQ. I am paranoid about boosting vs cutting :lol:
    In this case the monitors, IRs, how you are listening, are mega critical to the effect of the final tone.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 9:43 PM
  7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Well im still trying to work on getting right going in, which i think im very close but theres just no getting away from it, and there seems to be only a tiny sliver of usable gain, too little and it just sounds weak and just a tad more and it just sounds like way too much, almost like a fuzz. Tough getting that perfect little spot.