Guitar Rig 2...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mikey D, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Well-Known Member

Anybody had any experience with this or own it? Or even guitar rig 1, is it worth forking out the extra for 2?

I am looking at making the smallest set up I can for recording and gigging and this seems to suit my ideal. One guitar/bass, one 2 channel combo amp and one small bag of effects.

Currently I use a rotosphere, pigtronix envelope phaser, hao rust booter, cry baby wah and marshall distortion pedal for guitar and bass microsynth for bass.

There seems to be a lot of praise for the Guitar rig and it has lots of good souding effects which i can switch between easily, not sure if it will do all the effects I currently use...but we'll see.

So my setup would be:
    8 String Wes Lambe (hybrid guitar/bass)
    >
    Guitar Rig
    >
    Apple Powerbook
    >
    Phil Jones 300w (4*8") Suitcase combo or Mesa Boogie 300w (1*12") Walkabout

Any opinions would be good.

2. Mikey D

I guess you lot are into 'real' pedals...nobody use this?

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I use Guitar Rig 1 and 2. I use Guitar Rig 1 for my scratchpad guitar recordings and 2 for my scratchpad bass recording as the bass is better in 2 yet the plugin CPU drain is smaller for version one - hence why I still use it for guitar. Guitar Rig is simply amazing, it can do a shitload! But, I really don't use it for much other than cabinet sims now as I get all my effects from my Boss GT-8 and from VST effect plugins. Guitar Rig takes a lot of CPU resources so running many instances of them for effects on a number of tracks just isn't as practical as running VST effects. I plug the direct out of my Mesa Triple Rec into my mixer which goes into into the PC. Then I apply a cab sim consisting of two cabinets with two different mics. Sounds great. You can check out my Myspace page to hear what the sound is like doing it this way:

http://www.myspace.com/rev2010

Remember, the streaming quality of audio at Myspace is low quality. Anyhow, it's worth it depending on what you plan to use it for. Also, you should have a fast PC with a good soundcard so you can get really low latencies.

Rev.

4. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

I haven't used it that extensively, but my experience with GR2 was great. Even the presets sounded good, and I generally expect presets to sound like crap on anything. Depending on what you're doing, GR2 is probably about as good as Line 6's stuff. It just has a slightly different aural "flavor" if that makes any sense. If you can get it going through a system with a low latency sound card, preferably ASIO, and a transparent amplification system, it should work all right. There's one guy in another forum I'm in that uses GR2 live, and he loves it.

5. Mikey D

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. As said above, I am looking for the smallest live rig i can for my 8 string but with the ability to have as many sounds as I want at my fingertips and this just seems the best way.

6. Tymon

Tymon SS.org Regular

I like it but it doesn't hold up to PODxt modeling imo.