Guitar pro 6 copy paste guitar track to bass track

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by ZeroS1gnol, Mar 1, 2019.

1. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Hi,

If I didn't shave my head, I would've probably pulled my hair out by now. I want to copy some guitar riffs from the guitar track to the bass track of my GP6 project. When I do, the fretting on the bass track is changed so it matches the octave of the guitar track. FFS why?! I just want to copy over the fretting to the bass track. How do I do that?

Thanks!

2. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

I don't think there's a direct way to do it, sadly. I guess you already know, but you can use the transpose function to adjust the note values one octave down - fretting still won't necessarily be the exact same, though.
    Another way (that I haven't actually tried but maybe(!) could work), would be to temporarily set the tuning of the guitar to be one octave lower, and then copy.

3. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Thanks. I saved a tuning for an octave higher, so I can paste in notes, then detune it an octave again.

4. golliathh

golliathh SS.org Regular

How well does this method work for you now? Do notes still get shifted in the tab?

5. ShieldsCW

ShieldsCW SS.org Regular

The problem with this method is that it also copies the clef, so your bas track changes to treble clef, but just for that section that you pasted. Maybe not a big deal for some, but it just looks dumb to me. I guess I could just make the entire bass track treble clef, but that just seems dirty. Treble clef on a Bass track?!

If only there were a "paste rhythm" function that just places rests in the same pattern of what's on your clipboard, so you can just fill in the notes without having to tap dance on the + and - keys to change note lengths.

JimF likes this.
  6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

that would make my life so much easier!

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a way more functional guitar pro. The market is there for it.

JimF likes this.
  7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I know it's a slightly different thing, but watching Tantacrul's videos on Sibelius, Dorico and Musescore says the answer is "very hard".

I would kill for a "paste rhythm" option, maybe it is in GP7.5 and I just haven't looked, and like 2 or 3 other things, but honestly, there's not much that can't be worked around efficiently. The answer to this problem is copy, paste, highlight, press shift down a semitone 12 times. It'd be neat to transfer patterns between guitar and drums, but who actually uses complicated enough rhythms regularly enough to care? Even between instruments, you can copy a part maintaining the rhythm and just put in the right notes then delete the wrong notes.

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ Used a similar method myself. Duplicate track, change strings to 4 and press Keep the fingering. Done :)

StevenC likes this.
  9. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

I'd love to see a better tab editor. GP is a piece of shit, and GP5 was the last usable version, 6 and 7 are UX disasters. Copying rhythm is just the tip of the iceberg really. Being able to record rhythm by punching spacebar (or whatever else) to a metronome would be incredibly helpful (as well as being able to quickly change the note value so that you could tap in fast stuff slowly). Turning chords into arpeggios is another super useful one. Generating a chord based on a root note and then being able to quickly choose a voicing/inversion (imagine a riff consisting of power chords - . A quick way to input scale runs/arpeggios. Robust and completely user-assignable keyboard shortcuts and clever vim-like input methods.

Tbh, I've actually been toying with the idea of at least trying to implement some kind of basic tab editor just to see how much work it actually is (and because I've grown to hate GP just because it's so incredibly dumb and shitty). I have some basic programming experience, but I don't know shit about GUI.

JimF likes this.
  10. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You guys should check out Sibelius if at all possible. It can seem like a PITA at first but it has a LOT of advanced features like that and you can create custom tab for anything like 9 string, 10 string etc if desired. I initially moved to it in 2012 because it was the only option for 9 string tab at the time, and admittedly I am into proper music notation too, but quite quickly there was no going back for me.
    Note it doesn't have any of the real sound engine features GP is invested in these days but I've never been interested in that stuff anyway.
    I moved to Dorico recently which is also fantastic but I'm not comfortable to comment on advanced features yet.
    Probably not the answer for most guitarists and way more featureful than necessary, but definitely worth trialing

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    StevenC and JimF like this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I hate Sibelius with a passion.

Do you find importing GP files into it works? I always had a compatibility issue in music classes of I did any composition work at home, but that was long enough ago it may have been resolved.

I've always found Sibelius to be less useful as a composition tool than Guitar Pro and strictly a notation drawing tool. Could just be me though.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I have a template I use to speed up writing but I've been trying to get myself out of the habit writing bass around the guitar parts and locking it in time with the drums more. A copy rhythm from guitar to drums would be a godsend. I take a photo of the guitar tracks and then sit my phone under my screen to go back and forth. There's so many little things that would speed up workflow.

I would throw a lot of money if someone set up a kickstarter for a really good tab program. Pair it with an online user base section and commercial tabs you can pay to download(which would also solve the problem of blocking tabs on ultimate guitar).

StevenC likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

:rofl:

Winspear likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Wait til you hear about the guy who does all the Chase Bliss demo videos.