Guitar of my dreams

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by anthology, Sep 23, 2020.

1. anthology

anthology SS.org Regular

I am not posting much but reading mostly
    But lately I have been thinking what might be the ideal guitar of my dreams
    BTW I have ibanez rg7420 and some 6 stringed PSR + Dean

So guitar design and specs goes like this:

* Of course 7 Strings
    * Headless neck
    * Scalloped fretboard (Ritchie Blackmore style but half way, scalloped more on top strings and dives closer to bridge side of the frets)
    * 24 or 27 frets
    Fanned frets
    * Through neck body
    * Foldable body (Like ALP guitars)
    * The body is actually a whole neck with knobs and switches in 1 piece
    * Pick up configuration, HSH shape but at the neck Sustainiac with single pick up as neck humbucker.
    * Floyd Rose or Edge Pro with integrated Piezo
    * 5 way switch with extra sustainiac and Piezo switches, plus tone knob can be risen for splitting pickup effects from humbucker.

Basic idea goes so.
    is this doable or already exists
    what do you think guys

Drawde and Strobe like this.
  2. dmlinger

dmlinger PepperFox Guitars

When you pick that many non-traditional features, we can't tell if this is a legit question or a trolling gimmick. How in the world do you expect to do a "neck through with a foldable body?"

To answer your question, though, this is a terrible idea that is not available in the open market and will be full custom. Expect to pay out the ass.

3. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    In order to combine Fanned Frets with a Floyd Rose, the perpendicular fret MUST BE at the bridge line, you are aware of that, right?

The HSH pickup config may not be compatible with 27 fret, unless you're going with baritone scale lengths for the smallest size.

The Sustainiac+single coil as neck pickup will require additional work on the Sustainiac driver, since the 7 string one only comes as a humbucker size, with the 2nd coil being a dummy coil. Also, as for your information, the Sustainiac driver can work as a single/humbucker active pickup when not in sustain mode and can be mixed with passive pickups as well, but only in parallel.

The Sustainiac+ piezo thing is doable, I've got it done in my super modded Ibanez RG7321.

As for your specs, afaik, there is no "of the shelf" guitar, so consider a high dollar bill in the end, but you can find some compromises at the Schecter guitar line up (some 7 strings with floyd and HH pickup layout)...

anthology likes this.
  4. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

Keep dreaming!

anthology likes this.
  5. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Headless and Floyd?

anthology and odibrom like this.
  6. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Besides what people have pointed out (that this would pretty much have to be a custom, but I think that's implied), there's a couple of things that should be mentioned in the specs:

Floyd and Headless will only work if you go for a Floyd Speedloader trem, and those require proprietary strings, and I don't even know if they make the strings and bridge anymore. It didn't do too well for that particular reason. Other option here is going with some other kind of headless tremolo system. Not to mention that the only way a Floyd can work with a multiscale is if the bridge is the "straight fret", like on the Ormsby RC-ONE.

Sustainiac's 7 only exists as a humbucker size, as was mentioned by odibrom.

In all honesty, if you can live with straight scale, you can probably just buy an ALP ADS7-201 when they go back in stock and just mod the hell out of it. Only thing is Sustainiac and Piezo need some space to install, and they need separate power supplies (i.e. double batteries or Fishman rechargeable plugs, as far as my understanding).

anthology likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

With the Sustainiac humbucker, the only active part is the driver coil. If the luthier is good with some slght metal work and willing to go the distance, they can remove the dummy coil, cut the baseplate in half, and install new tabs.

anthology likes this.
  8. anthology

anthology SS.org Regular

Thank you guys for great feedback
    I was trying to see what was doable and what's not
    BTW I have all tools and CNC skills to build my own guitar
    so this was also one way of asking what will I need as ingredients for the final version of the DreamTar XD

odibrom likes this.
  9. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

In that case I'd suggest making a few different examples as test runs, e.g. make one fan fret, then decide if you want that; then make one with piezo and sustainer, see if you definitely want that etc etc etc then you will also have the parts to scavenge for future builds.
    Also, you've mentioned wanting it headless AND folding, presumably for travel guitar purposes, but if you are careful with the dimensions you can make a headless pretty small, see the Kiesel Vader for inspiration.

anthology likes this.
  10. anthology

anthology SS.org Regular

This is kinda basic idea of what I was thinking, only needs to be developed on some minor features

Attached Files:

JimF likes this.