Guitar masterclass, please explain...

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by OmegaSlayer, Aug 4, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

So...I never went to one of those masterclass.
    First I am in Italy, and guitarists I'm interested in rarely visit my Country.
    Incredibly, when they visit Italy, they usually go to some town lost in the middle of nowhere, and skip Roma...
    Sometimes someone came to Roma but held the masterclass in the afternoon while I was working and couldn't attend.
    So yeah, 38 years old, 25 years of guitar playing and have never seen a masterclass :lol:

But things might change, as Steve Vai is helding a masterclass in Rome, September 20th at 9 PM, so I will be able to attend.

What can I realistically expect from a masterclass?

2. Jeesan

Jeesan Regular

I think if I could I would kick your behind if you missed this one!

To be honest, one of the guitar players I know through others had the chance to participate in one of those Alien Secret Masterclasses. Surprisingly he got invited to go up and jam with Vai on stage. So he put up all those photos and what not on social media.

Not that I'm jealous, but I've been a fan of Vai for such a long time, and I missed such an opportunity because of, same as you, work and obligations.

As a fan, I'd really take the opportunity to see Vai in person, and even to exchange a few words if possible.

---

That being said, I've met the other 2 of my favs, Guthrie Govan while he was running to catch his bus, and just shook my hand, and Satriani, he definitely has the vibe of an alien from some crystal planet in person.

It wasn't necessarily a remarkable exchange - it was a short handshake and a few sentences, but, at least I can share this story with you and other friends with whom I identify with in terms of music.

---

In terms of learning music and all of that theory....ehh...that's your call. Steve Vai is definitely very good at it though! It'll surely be one of the more interesting experiences as Vai goes into a lot of other topics that is inspirational.

3. Fraz666

Fraz666 SS.org Regular

I've seen a few in Italy and I always had the impression to learn useful things: some times more, other less, it depends on how the musician sets the masterclass.
    example: my favourite was Petrucci, very 'teaching' like a lesson.
    The worst one I've seen was Friedman, something like "first let me play my songs, then ask me some questions" and nothing more

edit: in Italy there is one another factor to consider: the live translation can be a pain in the ....

agree

4. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

I hear Alien Master Secret is pretty damn Expensive, but I'm sure It's worth it. Saw Vai at the G3 concert on July 2nd and he was on fire :shred:

It's true, in Italy nobody really stops for that kind of stuff, like a 3 days guitar camp thin gand Steve is Steve so yeah, You should not miss that if You're near.
    :agreed:

5. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Alien super doopa secret is € 59,00.
    Actually I really want to go even if I'm not usually the "I met mr. x kind of guy" as I have a particular (maybe very presumptuous) stance..."Mr. x was able in some way to put more time and devotion than me in doing what he likes, but still he's human"...well, maybe not Mr. Vai...anyway.
    I intentionally skipped G3 in Rome this year as I thought that listening 3 guitarist playing for like 4 hours in an "arena-like" envyronment is not the most enjoyable way.

But this time the masterclass should be something more "initimate", it's in a close-ish small-medium size venue where I played with my band sometimes in the end of the 90s.

(I would have abandoned my job and everything to meet Nita Strauss...)

6. mdeeRocks

mdeeRocks SS.org Regular

That depends on the player - usually it's good amount of gear/technique chat, these guys are no different than the rest of us, other than that it varies from a mini gig to just hanging out and jamming some tunes. More often than not you will have a chance to jam with the artist.
    I am sure you will enjoy it - it's definitely worth going to every clinic available, even if the music style is not your cup of tea.