Guitar Magazines

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by AK DRAGON, Feb 3, 2010.

1. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

I have pretty much had a subscription to Guitar World and other US made magazines before their demise for a while now. I find them severely lacking. Well, Acoustic Guitar (before their demise) was decent. I recently picked up Guitar Techniques (UK based) and was amazed that it wasn't the same ole drivel that US publishers shove down our throat. It was actual instruction and theory. Not you gotta buy this or that reviews and the latest tab from untalented bands etc, etc, etc.

Anyone else know of any other magazines similar to Guitar Techniques (please in English) that actually would be beneficial in learning technique and theory? Any other guitar magazines worth looking at?

2. Variant

Variant Banned

Brit mags are almost always better than their shitpile US counterparts. Compare Evo to Road & Track, for instance. Or so far as TV programs go, Top Gear to... um... Motorweek I guess. :rofl: I don't know what it is, but stuff made here in The States is terrible.

I've found the same true with the world of music. I haven't touched a Guitar World in years, it's all bullshit interviews with few useful questions being asked. I, however, have a quickly building pile of Sound On Sound mags amassing on my shelf right now. Fucking great publication! :yesway:

3. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Guitar Techniques is brilliant and has been for years. The two other mags worth looking at are (IMO at least) Total Guitar and Guitarist. Guitar for the Practising Musician used to be good but I think that one is sadly defunct?

I have to agree about Guitar World and Guitar Player - the worthwhile articles seem to be hidden in a sea of advertising and dribble.

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I second guitar Total Guitar and Guitarist. They are both very, very good publications. The lessons are well written and the selections are always diverse. Some issues will have everything from Celtic tune to shred-fests, starring Paul Gilbert.

I know you want English language magazines, but I have to throw Young Guitar out there. It's Japanese and top-notch!

5. White Cluster

White Cluster Gives Life Meaning

Premier Guitar is a good one also.

6. asmegin_slayer

asmegin_slayer cali-cornia bluffer

I still like Guitar World... mainly just for the love looking at pictures of guitars/amps/what artist uses...etc. There dvd's are pretty cool too. I've never really used it as a means to learn something, though every now and then they do something.

Primeir and Guitar Technique is awesome!!

7. vontetzianos

vontetzianos SS.org Regular

Guitar World is hopeless for improving your playing, and the reviews of gear on the cd-roms are often terrible. Some of the artist spots and interviews they do are quite interesting.

Guitar Techniques, on the other hand, is wonderful.

8. AfterTheBurial8

AfterTheBurial8 Sir. Casm

personally I stopped buying Total Guitar because I thought it was utter shite.. I know it's me being an arsehole but I wasn't prepared to pay £4 to read about 'how to use a pick & which one to use' or 'lets look at how good Gallows guitarists are' or 'let's look at James Hetfeilds downpicking and see how he does it'.. I don't really care to be honest, the only thing I looked forward to was Paul Gilbert's section at the end.. but other than that TG is for beginners and non-metal guitarists!

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Admittedly, the best thing about Guitar World = the Vulgar Display of Power section. Full gear rundown of whoever guitarist.

10. EvolDerek

EvolDerek BEADGBEG

Agreed:hbang:

11. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

I pick up Guitarist whenever I can, great mag.
    I fucking hate Total Guitar

12. courtney2018

courtney2018 Contributor

It's funny this gets mentioned. I just got the new Guitar World magazine yesterday in the mail. Looked at the front cover and said, "Great! The same regurjatated crap."

It's true though. I've noticed this for a while now. GFTPM used to be awesome. Back in the late 80's it was my main magazine. Then it disappeared and I think that Guitar One kinda replaced it. Then it went under so now there are only 2 left.

The Brit mags are awesome though. They're so much better than anything put out in the States. I don't really count Premiere Guitar or Vintage Guitar comparable because they're really for a different audience. However, even those two mags out trump GW and GP. If it weren't for the high price I would subscribe to them instead of GW and GP. I will pick them up at the mag stand every once in a while.

13. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

It doesn't matter where it comes from as long as it is written in English. As I only know English and Bad English.

bout the only section I enjoy.. and definitely not worth paying a subscription for since you can go to guitargeek.com and get the same thing

edit.. Guitar for the Practicing Musician went under years ago. I did enjoy reading that one. And I collect a back issue off the bay every now and again

double edit... At this point money doesn't matter to me.. as long as the quality of the content is justified. I am at a point in my playing where I have plateaued and looking for the next level of my playing.