Guitar finish that changes the color of the wood the least

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Pimiboj, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:51 AM.

1. Pimiboj

Pimiboj SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I need some advice on finishing. So I've finished my first guitar with some automotive 2k lacquer, but this changed the color of the wood badly. This bugged me so much that I decided to sand it off and try it again with a different finish. Now I'm looking to find a finish that changes the natural color of the wood the least.
    I know all finishes change the color but this stuff made all the contrast in my Wenge disappear and turned my white limba into some amber color.
    So now rests the question, what finishes do you guys recommend for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. atracksler

atracksler SS.org Regular

I just got this finish called Osmo. It is fan flipping tastic. Makes the wood glow.

Pimiboj likes this.
  3. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Water based finishes will have the least yellowing effect, at least from my experience so far. Have had good results of non-yellowing with Solarez UV epoxy as well.

Pimiboj and spudmunkey like this.
  4. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Generally speaking most any oil based finish is going to darken and/or "amber" the wood color to varying degrees. A good waterborne finish will give you a more natural look, but does not typically impart the kind of depth-of-finish look you get with oil.

Water based finishes are fine to use, that's what I put on the ukulele I built for my son, but they are also generally not as durable as oil based finishes either.

Pimiboj likes this.
  5. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

I figured a good 2k would be crystal clear

6. Pimiboj

Pimiboj SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice! I'll try a few waterbased finished on some scraps, I will let you know how it goes.

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

8. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

9. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Rustins plastic coat has been the best hardwearing non yellowing finish ive used sofar (cures fully in about 5 days)

Solarez UV is also non yellowing (has a slight blue tint ive found) but a year after finishing one of my guitars in it it has become very brittle and has started to chip away from areas were screws have been tightened (neck plate/rear covers ect) i would'nt using it again

1k Automative clears ive used have also been/stayed clear but these can take 4-8 months to fully cure for flating.

Super glue/CA is also a great clear hardwearing finish but is super nasty to apply.