Guitar Center etc. insanity

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Adieu, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Youtubers and influencers are the rockstars these days and the average Joe wants to do the same, it is wise of a music store to try to cash in on that.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think it's more about how cheap a computer rig is now and how good plug-ins like Neural DSP and Helix Native are. On top of that everyone is playing at home and need a quiet solution.

3. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Yeah, because they're cheap and sell quickly, and supply is heavily limited so they aren't able to restock as quickly. More expensive items will stay in stock longer, people don't usually upgrade interfaces once they have a reasonably high-tier one.
    The being bored under lockdown thing is definitely also a factor as to why the demand is growing. Growing demand+lower supply = shortage.

I'm moving and wanted a laptop to bridge the gap between having my workstation shipped + it actually arriving. It's not a huge deal, but it's still annoying not being able to do serious work until my stuff gets to the new place.

4. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    If I was going to sell something to them I’d first ask them to take my temperature rectally, followed by a cigarette and some gatorade.

5. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Honestly, I've seen a HUGE uptick in various forums I visit over the last couple years of absolute beginners asking for beginners mixing tips and more "how do I use my interface" questions that I can even recall, which - hey, everyone starts somewhere, just learn to use the search function.

Couple the low cost of computer/interface/software along with COVID and everyone being stuck inside, as well as streaming suddenly becoming a legitimate income, and it totally makes sense that lower cost devices are being scooped up left and right.

6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Are people actually using them for creative shit, though?

Or just "to plug in a mic that won't suck"?

7. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I mean, probably both. I'm sure there are lots of emerging artists who are trying to record vocals for the first time and looking for a cost-effective solution. On the other hand, I saw a person on Reddit recently who was asking what the difference between a preamp and an interface was, and if they needed either of those to start recording their new microphone. Turns out their new microphone was a Neumann TLM103, which costs $1,100, so some people definitely have more money than sense.

8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

$1100? Damn