Greetings from cold grim and frostbitten New Jersey!

DarksomeOrigin

Reaction score
Well, its pretty cold and frostbitten outside right now anyway :)

My name is Matt. I've been playing guitar since I was 13 (I'm 30 now). My main influences are progressive rock bands from the 70s like Genesis, King Crimson, and Rush, and into tons of metal, of course. Some of my favorite bands are Symphony X, Edge of Sanity, Nevermore, Opeth, King Diamond, Carcass, Death, etc. Guitar playing-wise, I'm really inspired by guitarists like Michael Romeo, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Allan Holdsworth, and Jeff Loomis, as well as some of the newer youtube dudes like Tom Quayle and Rick Graham.

I played ESP and Schecter for a long time, but I'm a proud Vigier endorser now, and I'm currently rocking two Supra 7's. For about 9 years, I headed up the songwriting, lead guitar, and death growls for the progressive/power metal band, Dark Empire. I've since disbanded Dark Empire and am concentrating on demoing a new project right now that is more in the progressive/melodic death metal realm, akin to Edge of Sanity, Opeth, and various other Stockholm Swedish death bands.

I also teach guitar for a living and really hope to contribute my knowledge in that area to the forum :)

In case anyone is curious, here is some video of myself playing:

More current:

"Hey bro, you sure do tap a lot."

I know. Over the years I developed a condition known as focal dystonia that makes it extremely difficult for me to use my 2nd finger in faster or more technical passages. I already predominantly favored the legato sound as it was, so it wasn't a weird transition for me to start relying on right hand tapping to execute 90% of technical/fast/shred passages. Actually, it allowed me to stop struggling against things I could no longer do and instead allowed me to be even less concerned with my technique. I don't like to make a big deal about this since its just simply a part of who I am as a player these days, but I am posting on a guitar forum and I am well aware how guitarists scrutinize other players, so I figured I'd just get that out there right away :)

Wow, I hope I didn't write too much here, but thanks to anyone who bothered to read all of that. I look forward to contributing to this forum!

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
Welcome to SSO Matt, and please don't feel you have to justify your techniques :) As long as you're happy and it helps your fingers, all is well \m/

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Hey Matt, welcome to SSO!

Awesome playing too, holy crap...you know Christian Muenzner has focal dystonia and he's my absolute favourite guitarist :shred:

DarksomeOrigin

Reaction score
Hey Matt, welcome to SSO!

Awesome playing too, holy crap...you know Christian Muenzner has focal dystonia and he's my absolute favourite guitarist :shred:

Thank you, Basti! Yes, Christian is a friend of mine and he's definitely been really inspiring to me as far as working around the FD condition :hbang: