Green Russian vs IC Muffs

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Great Satan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

So i'm always looking for interesting high gain textures & don't have any fuzzes, i'm wondering what preference anyone has between one of these versions of the muff over another?

The originals are $200+ these days so i'd be going more for a high quality/accurate clone but still, the basic sound is there.

Preferring the more distortion-y character of the muff over other fuzzes, the green russian is supposed to be a favorite but the op-amp/IC version is supposed to be higher gain'd.

Any muff aficionados out there?

2. amonb

amonb Les Paul Fever Contributor

I own and play almost daily with a lotta muffs (Skreddy, SUF, Tym, Way Huge etc etc) so think I speak with some experience. I personally think they sound very very different, and I much prefer the IC muff sound. To my ears, the Russian is much smoother sounding, which some prefer for soloing. They are also great for bass as they have a huge-sounding bottom end. I know with my bass I use a Mojohand Russian clone and it works great. For guitars, I like using muffs for rhythm and find that the IC muffs sound like a muff that's exploding and therefore make a more exciting rhythm tone (for me).

You are quite right that the IC muff is higher gain, but remember that there are also "normal" muffs out there that are similar in that respect, such as the Skreddy Zero.

Also, remember that when using muffs mids can be a real issue... rather the lack of them. A muff I like to use a lot is a SUF Red Menace, a triangle variant, as you can dial mids back in and still have a "muffy" sound.

If you are also after higher-gain fuzz may I also recommend a Burns Buzzaround clone? I own two (a rather brilliant Klinger Buzz Fuzz and a Ghost Effects version that used to be owned by Roanne of the awesome UK band Mums) and highly recommend them. Have a look online for sound clips.

3. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

That's very cool info thank you.
    Yeah i feel i was leaning towards the IC too, but you know how it goes; doesn't matter which one you get just which one you get 'first' lol

4. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Clones-wise i've been mainly looking at pre-built BYOC 'beaver' ones (there's about 3 different versions floating around; green russian, op-amp and version 3's with modified tone switch) people seem to think pretty highly of them.

5. amonb

Yeah, those BYOC ones have been around a long time and I haven't heard anything bad about em, especially for the money. Just for ....s n giggles have a look at the Made By Mike ones too. His IC muff is meant to be great.

My go-to IC muff is a Stomp Under Foot Pumpkin Pi. It's the only IC muff I own now. I am curious to try out the Tym version, but they are pretty expensive.

6. amonb

Oh, and just to confuse things Taylor from Superheaven used an Arc Effects Green Russian and it sounded H U G E.

7. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

You seem like a pretty good authority on this so just wanted to ask you;
    what thoughts do you have on Way Huge's Russian Pickle

i believe these droppped only recently, they seem fairly close to the original russian to you or is it more a case of 'their take' on it?

8. amonb

I unfortunately don't know much about those, but based on my experience with their normal Swollen Pickle I would imagine it would be "their take" on a Russian muff. I would be interested in seeing if they have those ridiculous internal pots inside like they do with the swollen pickle. They are frustrating pedals to say the least.

But as I said, I don't know too much about these ones. And Andy can make any pedal sound really good.

If I was dead-set on getting a Russian, I would probably end up with a Stomp Under Foot, because I can afford it and like the quality.

I always seek out as many vids/sound clips as I can before I get a pedal as, living in Australia and just being a home musician, real-life try-outs are impossible.

9. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Yeah i used to live in Australia but this was pre-internet age :p
    But even now living in Cali i still do the same thing.

I'm pretty set on an IC Muff its just a case of finding the clone i like (the byoc ones seem a good bet).

10. amonb

You'll become addicted and have more than one... we all do. The BYOC is a great start.

11. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Truth.

I have a Rams Gate clone and a Green Russian tall font clone for Muff's with Arik Roper artwork on them :D I want a 'Civil War' someday as well. And a Pharaoh which is a hot rodded muff...

One day I want to try that Fuzz dog - Pus$yking pedal which is a Pro-co Rat with a Tone bender mashed into one pedal. Because dat name alone makes it work spending 120 bucks on it :lol:

I have a kit clone of a Fuzz face with mods to make it more sludge friendly. Anyway point being is Fuzz's can become seriously addictive and with all the variants in Muff circuit there are many variations on a theme to choose from.