Green Day St Jimmy - GUITAR COVER - OWNHAMMER HH VOL.2

justinjcm900

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share another cover of mine which is St Jimmy from the Green Day record American Idiot.

All guitars are Axe Fx and cab sims are Ownhammer from the heavy hitters collection. Specifically, I used a 121 IR for this from the Zilla Fatboy cab.

As always, thank you to everyone who takes time out of their day to watch/listen to what I do, it really is appreciated.

Thanks again for the constant support!

RHEX-7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
dude can i please have that patch? ive been trying to dial in an American Idiot tone for weeks now. the closest ive ever gotten was with a jcm2000 patch. i subbed to your channel and gave the video a like

goldflex

Reaction score
The cover is perfect and the sound is good for its purpose.
Also, you play with passion and you are enjoyng the music (that is always the most important thing)
The video has a nice multi-cam editing and a good quality also.

Do you use a "backing track" without original guitars or do you play over the original song?

If it's the first case I think that guitars volume is a bit too loud (if you listen carefully they are masking the vocals and are over the snare volume) and they need a different dB level or a slight different eq to cut still through the mix when lowered. Try do some quick A/B comparison with the original.
Instead, if you are playing over the original guitars then it is just good enough as it is now.

justinjcm900

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
dude can i please have that patch? ive been trying to dial in an American Idiot tone for weeks now. the closest ive ever gotten was with a jcm2000 patch. i subbed to your channel and gave the video a like

Thanks man!

I don't have the patch but I'm happy to breakdown the patch and explain it if you want?

Thanks again

justinjcm900

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The cover is perfect and the sound is good for its purpose.
Also, you play with passion and you are enjoyng the music (that is always the most important thing)
The video has a nice multi-cam editing and a good quality also.

Do you use a "backing track" without original guitars or do you play over the original song?

If it's the first case I think that guitars volume is a bit too loud (if you listen carefully they are masking the vocals and are over the snare volume) and they need a different dB level or a slight different eq to cut still through the mix when lowered. Try do some quick A/B comparison with the original.
Instead, if you are playing over the original guitars then it is just good enough as it is now.

Thanks very much for this detailed comment, I appreciate how in depth you are!

This was actually played over the original track with an EQ over it just to make a little space for the guitars. I still have the guitars a little louder so it's clear that it's me playing over the top.

Thanks again

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Fantastic cover dude! The tone is 100% spot on and makes me wanna go buy an Axe FX! ;) American Idiot is one of my all-time favorite albums of my childhood. Badass. Cant wait to see what else you come out with.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share another cover of mine which is St Jimmy from the Green Day record American Idiot.

All guitars are Axe Fx and cab sims are Ownhammer from the heavy hitters collection. Specifically, I used a 121 IR for this from the Zilla Fatboy cab.

As always, thank you to everyone who takes time out of their day to watch/listen to what I do, it really is appreciated.

Thanks again for the constant support!

RHEX-7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks man!

I don't have the patch but I'm happy to breakdown the patch and explain it if you want?

Thanks again
I would love that bro. Ive been struggling for real trying to find that twangy high end marshall sound that they have. I know its mostly his pickups but still.
I have the ultra also

justinjcm900

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fantastic cover dude! The tone is 100% spot on and makes me wanna go buy an Axe FX! ;) American Idiot is one of my all-time favorite albums of my childhood. Badass. Cant wait to see what else you come out with.

Thanks so much man!

Yeah stay tuned for more stuff like this and feel free to shout some covers you wanna see!

Thanks

justinjcm900

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would love that bro. Ive been struggling for real trying to find that twangy high end marshall sound that they have. I know its mostly his pickups but still.
I have the ultra also

Ok cool man, I'll try and get a breakdown of the patch written up in the next few days, post on here and hopefully that will help you.

First thing I'll recommend is getting the Ownhammer heavy hitters vol. 2 because that is more than half of the tone!

justinjcm900

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the ultra also

Hey man,

Sorry for the delay but as promised here is the patch breakdown on the Axe Ultra...

going from left to right on the blocks - compressor - (gate if needed) - drive pedal - PEQ (rolling off some low end before hitting the amp) - amp (solo 99 LD, drive 5, bass 4, mid 5.5, treb 6 and brt switch on, pres 5.2, depth 1.1, damp 5. sag 2.8, master at 2.8 - cab (either engage on the unit or use a cab impulse in your DAW)

I personally use only Ownhammer impulses and i like to use them through space designer in logic pro so that i can switch them/audition them as i want.

I hope that helps but please feel free to ask any questions?

Justin

RHEX-7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey man,

Sorry for the delay but as promised here is the patch breakdown on the Axe Ultra...

going from left to right on the blocks - compressor - (gate if needed) - drive pedal - PEQ (rolling off some low end before hitting the amp) - amp (solo 99 LD, drive 5, bass 4, mid 5.5, treb 6 and brt switch on, pres 5.2, depth 1.1, damp 5. sag 2.8, master at 2.8 - cab (either engage on the unit or use a cab impulse in your DAW)

I personally use only Ownhammer impulses and i like to use them through space designer in logic pro so that i can switch them/audition them as i want.

I hope that helps but please feel free to ask any questions?

Justin
what compressor settings do you use? im curious why you use it