Great guitar builders that are also Great guitar players?

downburst82

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just what the title says.

I'm wondering what guitar builders out there are also really excellent players as well. :shred:

I know there are a few I should be able to think of right off the bat, but its late, i'm tired and am drawing a blank. I'm sure you guys out there know of all sorts.

Also vid's of luthiers playing would be cool to see.:yesway:

ps: Mods please move if you think there is any better sub-forum (I figured either here or maybe general discussion?)

Benjamin Millar

Guitar Maker
Reaction score
Les Paul is the only one I can think of (in terms of historical significance anyway), But he wasn't really a guitar maker by profession.

It's difficult to master both building and playing, since it takes many years and a fair amount of devotion to become great at either.
Almost all makers are mediocre to good players, and there are a few players who can build guitars (Brian May for example).

shikamaru

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
wonder what’s behind the term guitar builder, as opposed to luthier, I suppose it means anyone who’ve already built a guitar even though they don’t do it professionnally right ?

there’s one guy I can think of immediately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV1U-cUo5CM

As far as luthiers playing, check out Ben Crowe and his awesome 7/14 based on John Petrucci’s double neck guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVP1ViwYMME
I want a guitar like this so bad :)

Those are off the top of my head but I’m sure there are many others :)

Benjamin Millar

Guitar Maker
Reaction score
I figured that by "great" Shikamaru referred to hall of fame type guitar players, of which I can think of none.
Plenty of really good players / makers out there though...

WiseSplinter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ron Jarzombek

Not sure if he's a "great" builder, but he does build his own guitars.
He is a great player though, that's for sure.

RonJarzombek09Guitars.jpg

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Doug Campbell(Blackmachine) is a monstrous player.

I'm sure most guitar makers are or were really good players. To build a guitar you need a lot of patience, experience and determination. All three of those are big factors in being a good guitar player so I can see most lutheirs putting in the endless hours needed to learn guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doug Campbell(Blackmachine) is a monstrous player.

I'm sure most guitar makers are or were really good players. To build a guitar you need a lot of patience, experience and determination. All three of those are big factors in being a good guitar player so I can see most lutheirs putting in the endless hours needed to learn guitar.

Some of the best luthiers throughout history were actually very poor players, if players at all.

As already been said, the need to master one art usually takes away from the ability to master another.

The best example is probably Leo Fender. He couldn't strum a single song, but he was a great designer and builder. Have you noticed that most luthiers, even smaller ones, don't typically make their own demos?

Some of the most influential designers of instruments were never musicians either, like Ned Steinberger, who never really cared for instruments until he thought he could design better ones.

Xanderdad

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
John Dell'Isola from Dell'Isola instruments is not only a skilled guitar player but also an excellent drummer. Pretty talented in all areas.

UnderTheSign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some of the best luthiers throughout history were actually very poor players, if players at all.

As already been said, the need to master one art usually takes away from the ability to master another.

The best example is probably Leo Fender. He couldn't strum a single song, but he was a great designer and builder. Have you noticed that most luthiers, even smaller ones, don't typically make their own demos?

Some of the most influential designers of instruments were never musicians either, like Ned Steinberger, who never really cared for instruments until he thought he could design better ones.
Yeah was gonna say this. Especially a lot of the oldschool guys were much more into building than they were into playing. Most of them will be able to jam some good tunes but nothing you'd consider great.

max3000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually think Paul Reed Smith is a great player. He's not a virtuoso by any stretch of the word, but he's got great feel.

capoeiraesp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These two Aussie builders give the international ones a run for their money.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score

I've only been sitting down to practice for more than an hour at a time for the first time in almost 10 years. :( You just end up feeling guilty when you start playing because you should be sanding or fretting, or wiring.... :wallbash: