Graphtech ratio for 7 string?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Merrekof, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

As the title says, I'm hearing and reading nothing but good things about the ratio tuners but I can't seem to find a 7 string set. Did I miss it or don't they make those for 7's? Is there a similar alternative? Maybe I should buy a 6 strings set and a single tuner for the low B?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire chasing the tone dragon

they only make them for 6 strings currently. the hipshot locking tuners are quite good ime

3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I thought so.. the hipshot locking tuners indeed are on my list but they are a bit more expensive. On the plus-side; I can order them as singles so no hassle with looking for the right set. Still considering the 6x ratio + 1 single option.

4. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Graphtech more expensive than Hipshot? Must be the import exchange...

I don't know if they ship out internationally but check out "SportHiTech" - they've got shops on ebay and Reverb as well as their own site and have all sorts of combinations/quantities/finishes of Hipshot tuners.

P.S. Graphtech does sell direct (in the states anyway) so you could contact them to see if they sell singles (and will ship to Belgium).

WhiteLightOfDeath likes this.
  5. WhiteLightOfDeath

WhiteLightOfDeath Hidden Sword

Honestly EVERYTHING graphtech makes is excellent, great company, and unique products
    That’s my experience

I know the owner, he is Sport HI tech onreverb

6. KR250

KR250 Build addict

I've also been struggling to find a 7 string set of the graph tech tuners to try out. As others mentioned the Hipshot's are easy to order in any configuration and/or as solo's. They've been my go-to and I haven't been dissapointed. The open gear grip-lock are awesome.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Talk to GraphTech or an authorized dealer, they can more than likely make you a 7-string set. As long as there is a SKU for a single tuner (there usually is) they can do it.

8. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Hello! Graph Tech is a great company, I love them. Their customer support is simply perfect.

Answering your question related to 7 string ratio tuners then:
    GrapTech: To stay within the concept of Ratio we simply repeat the #6 tuner (39:1) to accommodate both 7 and 8 string custom sets.

It's the official information that we got from them.

We (Skervesen Guitars) are going to test them really soon and who knows, maybe this will be new standard for us.

WhiteLightOfDeath and Merrekof like this.
  9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Yeah, I was goung for the same approach. An extra low E tuner for the low B.

I'll contact Graph tech or a local dealer soon!

Thanks for the response, everyone. :)

10. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

I put the graph tech ratio locking tuners on 2 of my guitars and they are amazing. It REALLY helps make the tuning of the sensitive strings easier. Like the G string and E. #3 and #6 I would just contact Graph Tech direct and ask them to sell you another low E / 6 string tuner with the set for string #7. I'm sure they would help as their customer service has been good with me in the past. Good luck.