Graphic Novels Recommendations

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Skyblue, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

So I've been on a graphic novels kick lately, but I need some recommendations.
    I read Watchmen which I really liked, just finished Neil Gaiman's The Sandman which was AWESOME :)wub:) and I'm currently reading Preacher.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to what else to read? If possible I'd prefer not going for the 200 volumes ones, but feel free to offer anything.

And of course, if anyone else is reading graphic novels do share! :metal:

2. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

Read The Boys.

[​IMG]

3. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

4. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

If you liked *Sandman*, definitely read *Lucifer* - different creative team, but it's the same Lucifer and associated characters, and it's amazing. For more superhero stuff from *Watchmen*'s Alan Moore, read *Top 10* and *League of Extraordinary Gentlemen* (do not, for the love of all gods, see the movie version of the latter). For assorted Alan Moore WTF-ery, read *From Hell* (meticulously researched Jack the Ripper tale - again, skip the movie) and *V For Vendetta* (very different from the film in many ways, though both are good for a change).

Further off the beaten path: having read *Watchmen*, you might want to read the other two graphic novels in that 1986 trifecta that established the form as a serious medium: *Maus* and *The Dark Knight Returns*. You should also investigate Neil Gaiman's non-graphic fiction, starting with *American Gods*. And watch *Mirrormask*, which is a fantasy film he made with Dave McKean, who did the *Sandman* cover art.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn SS.org Regular

One of my favorite series is 'Transmetropolitan' by Warren Ellis.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Y: the Last Man

7. canuck brian

If someone suggests "Crossed", evaluate your friendship with them. ;)

A great standalone graphic novel is "Black Summer", another one by Warren Ellis. Absolutely spectacular.

I read mostly GN's with either Ennis or Ellis writing them.

8. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

The white lama by alexendar jodorowsky

Superman Red son

Johnny the homicidal maniac and co

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Oh yeah, Superman: Red Son is a great novel. Probably the best Superman story I've ever read.

10. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I liked "A History of Violence". It's much better than the movie.

There was a Sandman one I read awhile back where satan gives up hell. It was called Seasons of Mist, if I recall. Not sure if it technically is a graphic novel, or rather a collection of a few issues in one book. It was cool as hell though.

An old school X-men one to check out is the "Asgardian Wars". Not the greatest artwork but a great story.

11. asher

asher So Did We

Between Sandman, the Lucifer spinoff (which follows Seasons of Mist, which is vol. 4 of the series), the Death stories, Watchmen, V for Vendetta (I rather prefer it to the movie), Maus, and Transmetropolitan, all my good suggestions were hit already.

12. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

spawn is about to go digital next month

13. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Well of course there's the two Death spin-offs, also written by Gaiman -- read anything and everything by Gaiman.

I've actually really been enjoying Fables.

Buffy Season 8 and Angle After the Fall were both excellent if you're a Whedon fan.

The Sin City series is excellent...unless you've seen the movies first, the movies were actually really faithful. I mean, they were practically the comics brought to life. Animated, even.

Niles/Templesmith's (well there's half that question answered) 30 Days of Night Series, but especially the first three: 30 Days of Night, Dark Days, and Return to Barrow.

I actually love Templesmith's art, so anything that he touches, including the next level Dead Space one-off (the things he did with colors in that one was amazing). And Fell. And Singularity 7. And Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse.

And everything Niles writes is outstanding, too.

14. canuck brian

The movie isn't that bad if you haven't read the book...but i read the book first and expected one of the most horrific reveal scenes ever in a movie....very disappointed.

15. asher

asher So Did We

I actually really liked AHoV on screen, having had no idea there was a graphic novel. I love Ed Harris and Vigo, and the film made great use of horror style cinematography and framing to keep tension up the whole time.

16. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys! Lots of suggestions to keep me busy for the time being :yesway:

I'm pretty sure I checked it out the last time I was at the comic book store, looked rather cool. Definitely going on my list.

I'll look into Lucifer- Sandman, as I mentioned before, is amazing IMO, so I'll check anything related to it. Gaiman is definitely one of my favorite authors- American Gods is one of my favorite books. I also read the Death spin-offs of course.
    I'm actually not really into superhero stuff all that much- I mean, I like batman just like every other guy, but all in all it's not really my cup of tea. Still, I'll give it a try- Alan Moore is Alan Moore, after all.

Pretty sure I've seen this one in the comic book store as well... I'll give it another look, thanks!

Also, is it really worth getting V For Vendetta considering I've seen the movie? How big is the difference?

17. asher

asher So Did We

IMO, the V book is a pretty big departure in tone from the movie, some plot points are a bit different, and V is more appropriately anarchistic. I liked the movie for sure, but I think the book is stronger.

18. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

19. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Oh, and a short -- but powerful -- one, especially for people who love animals: We3.

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Superman: Secret Identity...talks about what if Superman actually existed in our world....dude named Clark Kent (parents thought it'd be funny) wakes up one morning after years of Superman jokes and actually has his powers and what he does next. Loved it, great read from Busiek.

The Dark Knight Returns and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. Incredible stories...worth it for the appearance of The Flash alone. Nuff said.

Invincible, from Walking Dead writer Robert Kirkman. Funny, poignant, lot of different stuff here and it's a good original story.

The Superman/Batman team up books are great. First couple years of it Jeph Loeb wrote it and he did it great. This is some of the best writing I've seen outside of Frank Miller and Neil Gaiman, with characters I've always loved. Batman is just written as a HUGE badass like he should be, and Superman is completely confident in himself and his partner, both of them just awesomely powerful and at the top of their game, convinced they're right and doing something about it.

When literally every hero and villain shows up to take them on for the $1 billion reward in 'Public Enemies':

S: "We're surrounded you know. I can hear them all."
    B: "I think we can take them. Do you think we can take them?"
    S: "You ALWAYS think we can take them."
    B: "Yes. I do."
    S: "THEN LET'S DO IT."

Just good cool stories and some of the best art I've seen in 35 years of reading comics.