Govan Guthrie..does he inspire you or is it just noise?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sharedEQ, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

ITT: someone who is convinced personal taste isn’t personal.

2. Hollowway

Hot Take: Satriani just wrote dumbed down pop tunes where the vocal melody was played on guitar. Was later eclipsed by his student Steve Vai who embraces crazy shred technique but put it in a pop rock band setting to appeal to a larger audience.

Hot Take 2: OP just blew a vessel in his brain from hot take #1.

Hot take 3: Jason Becker is better than all of them.

(just messing with you, sEQ! I’m just bored and feisty)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Worse, they need to quantify just how wrong everyone else's opinion is using completely arbitrary, biased, and made up "data".

Because we can't just have different taste, somebody has to be wrong.

Soya, Blasphemer, couverdure and 3 others like this.
  4. Hollowway

Tony Robbins: Find something you’re really passionate about, and make that your life’s purpose!

OP: (furiously typing) GG sucks and you’re all wrong and I will defend this to the death!

AxeHappy likes this.
  5. GraemeH

GraemeH SS.org Regular

He inspired me to switch to private dental care instead of the public system in the UK.
    Also The Aristocrats were amazing live but I'd had like 6 pints of Guinness so you could have replaced him with that pig they have with them live and I'd not have noticed.

Who the hell even classes him as a "shredder" anyway? Does that word mean literally nothing now? Is it just short-hand for "someone who can play shit I can't"? If a jazzy fusion-ey noodler is a shredder we might as well call Yngwie a fucking gangsta rapper.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Doesn't inspire me.

99.99999% of shredders don't inspire me, though. :lol:

Hollowway likes this.
  7. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Tony Macalpine can play piano better than anyone mentioned in this thread can play guitar.

USMarine75 and Hollowway like this.
  8. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

But guitar is cooler!

Hollowway likes this.
  9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I was all ready to be like "yeah, Guthrie can play but he's never written anything cool" and then I listened to Erotic Cakes for the first time in forever and I'm now convinced of the opposite.

This guy is the business.

10. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Bullying is not very metal.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Yeah, not trying to be a dick, just messing with you cuz you’re so committed to this. Tbh I’m a big Yngwie fan as well, and am not super into jazz.

12. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Guthrie is my favorite modern guitarist. One thing I don't think I've seen anyone directly mention is his work with The Fellowship. The one album they put out is just as good (if not better IMO) than Erotic Cakes, with the latter being the only guitar-based instrumental album in the past decade or so I can tolerate.

13. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

"Erotic Cakes" is an amazing album that seems like it took a long time to write and was a labor of love for the musicians that recorded it. The entire three-piece is so tight it's almost unbelievable (Guthrie's brother played bass IIRC) and I find virtually all of the songs catchy and inspired. His work with the Aristocrats, however, was definitely not my cup of tea... the last time I tried to listen to them it sounded like three music majors locked in a room trying to wank over each other. I'm not a huge fan of Yngwie and find him to be a one-trick pony stylistically speaking.

As for the Satriani thing: Satch definitely plays more in the rock idiom whereas Guthrie is more "outside" and fusion-y. You probably think Gin (read: real, OG) Martinis taste bad too. It's okay - they aren't for everybody.

JMO, YMMV, XYZ PDQ

14. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Huge GG and Aristocrats fan here. His musical vocabulary is second to none, his technique is obviously top-notch, both his phrasing and tone are amazing. He is incredible live as well, and a great teacher. Spent a weekend at a masterclass thing he taught, learnt so much stuff from him in a short period of time.

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

As a weird dweeb, Buckethead appeals more to me than any of this. But I can't deny GG is a phenomenal (literally) musician and also a top shelf guitarist.

I am like @sharedEQ when it comes to pop music, though. Some things, in my mind, don't deserve the attention they get. But I'd never put any jazz or metal into that bucket. 99% of non-guitarists have no idea who GG is, so why doesn't he deserve every ounce of status he can get at this point? If you want to be angry about music, you probably shouldn't, but might as well go on a crusade against something stupidly stupid instead. I mean, you have R&B that went from Stevie Wonder to Rhianna being most popular, then you have guitar fusion jazz rock that went from Al DiMeola to Guthrie Govan. I'd say it's almost entirely subjective, but musicianshipwise, I'd say that it's clear that this genre doesn't have many weaknesses. :)

Spicypickles likes this.
  16. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

This song is catchy AF.

And regarding Satriani he hates being called a shredder. Guys like him, Angel Vivaldi, and Nick Johnston are all about the melody and the tune, and then layer the pyrotechnics on top. Whereas, guitarists like Jason Richardson (seem to) write a song around their shreddy pyrotechnics. Ymmv.

The906 likes this.
  17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Sweet jebus this song was stuck in my head for months. And somehow the people I showed it to couldn't understand why.

18. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val SS.org Regular

Saw Guthrie with The Aristocrats, in Sacramento, earlier this year.
    SUPER impressive display of chops an’ tone. Jeez, they are such amazing musicians.
    But, it wasn’t super entertaining.
    I’m not sure why.

19. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I loved Erotic Cakes and The Fellowship album when they came out. Listened to them for years, but when the 1st Aristocrats album came out I listened to it maybe twice and was done, haven't listened to anything they've done since. I was playing a ton of jazz during that period, like 2006-2011 or so and while I enjoyed playing it, listening to it became a chore. The Aristocrats took everything that I liked about Guthries playing and threw it away. All the cool phrasing and licks and tone was replaced with boring standard improv jazz that sounded like a continuation of Kind of Blue.

20. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

While he's not a prolific writer, just credited for 3 aristocrats tracks per album, I do enjoy what he puts out. Also, seeing him in a live setting significantly raised my opinion of him. I've seen him several times and am impressed/inspired each and every time. As someone that actually purchases some of the jam tracks that he's put out on JTC's website, I get where you're coming from, but it's not like there's no themes, melodies, or motifs involved in the music he releases on regular albums...he has his shred moments, but there's still song structure there. Waves, Bad Asteroid, Kentucky Meat Shower, are all enjoyable tracks that I can listen to over and over.

I used to enjoy Yngwie from ages 15-18 but kind of outgrew his style.... to each their own.

Tuned likes this.