Govan Guthrie..does he inspire you or is it just noise?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sharedEQ, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

I don’t even think of Erotic Cakes as shreddy pyrotechnics, that’s a weird take to me.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's not shreddy like an Yngwie album, but I can see folks calling it "shred" shorthand for the mix of styles it is.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

There’s tons of ridiculous guitarists out there that can shred... the thing most of them lack is how to write a song.

More specifically... There’s a lot of guitarists these days that can mimic the techniques of Jason Becker and Marty Friedman... but most of them lack their ability to write songs.

So for me, there’s very few that have both the talent and the songwriting skills of guys like JB, Friedman, Satriani, Andy James. I find most of it is wankery that is all over the place.

With that said, if you don’t like jazz, you’re probably not going to love fusion - Guys like Holdsworth, Gambale, Lane, Quayle, and Govan probably aren’t going to do it for you.

ymmv

sharedEQ likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Big fan of Guthrie as a player and as an instructor, but I never thought his solo stuff was much to write home about. The Aristocrats was a nice step up but his peak writing is definitely the Steven Wilson stuff.

More soul in this solo (4:30) than the entire rest of his catalog combined.

USMarine75 and StevenC like this.
  5. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Great player, but doesn’t do it for me

sharedEQ likes this.
  6. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

This. Listening to him speak is delightful; it gives more context to his music rather just listening to his incredible facility with his guitar. Maybe that’s just my experience however.

Oddly enough, I actually don’t enjoy The Aristocrats’ music all that much and truly just enjoy studying his playing. I even felt the same when I went to his show in Atlanta this year. He didn’t do much insane shredding but that is the point of his band, like Max said above, their shows are more organic and e interplay between the three of them is what makes the experience special.

He is certainly one of the most advanced guitar players around right now. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea admittedly, and that’s ok too. But good God almighty, he almost *never* misses a note. It’s a fun exercise trying to search YouTube to find a live clip of him flubbing anything. Not to say that’s what he’s only good for - definitely listen to him speak about music. He has a way of explaining things in a way that makes the most complex concepts seem so simple.

aesthyrian likes this.
  7. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

Guthrie Govan is God. His tone is godly. His technique is godly. His solo on PII made my girlfriend sit up and ask “who is that? His tone is amazing!”

The only reason he’s not as huge as Vai or Satriani is there’s too much competition for attention now.

8. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

To me, its because GG hasn't "written" anything memorable, afaik (And if someone can correct that impression, I'd take a listen.) Yngwie at least worked in a pop context and fleshed out the neo-classical genre.

Everything I've heard of GG sounds like he is improvising over a stock jazz backing track. This may be the issue of jazz/blues where they keep playing the same progressions which I've already heard a zillion times. Granted he is *better* at fusion shred, but afaik he hasn't created anything new, he just does an existing form of music "better".

Contrast that to someone like Satriani who has demonstrated an ability to write catchy instrumental tunes.

Satriani: 80% of time spent writing, 20% of time spent on chops
    Guthrie: 20% of time spent writing, 80% of time spent on chops

You'll never be as good a technician as GG, but there is a chance you can write better music.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. MaxOfMetal

That's all completely subjective.

10. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Kinda sorta.

11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

He's such an amazing player, and I love his lessons and technique videos, but I'm not a fan of most of his recorded stuff. He has some awesome guest spots on other people's songs, but yeah, it mostly sounds like some dude jamming over a standard backtrack. Same reason I can't get into Nick Johnston. He's fun to watch, and has excellent phrasing, but nothing that makes me want to come back and listen to any particular song again after it's over. Love both guys tone and touch, though.

Yngitty Malamateen is boring AF, though.

12. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Back in the 80s he was groundbreaking.

Then the 90s came, Grunge hit, metal/shred went underground, and YJM buried his sorrow in a box of doughnuts.

Things might have played out different. I remember in the late 80s hearing YJM on the pop/rock radio station. With the right environment, his style might have evolved. But his niche style survived in asian markets.

sirbuh likes this.
  13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I don’t really like “blues” playing, and so tend to not like Jazz/Fusion unless the song ends up being more traditional/poppy anyways. The more out there someone is on time signatures etc, the less likely it is to be my thing. But that’s cool, because many players I love look up to music I’m not into so it all washes out in the end.

sharedEQ likes this.
  14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Very! For example the theme to Fives by GG gets in my head a lot and I don't even listen to him really. Where'as I've never heard any Yngwie or Satch that is catchy for me.
    I don't really feel like GG fits the 'backing track progression*' thing at all and find his music quite original.
    *In terms of the actual music, and progressions. I can certainly see how it feels like jamming on backing tracks vibe/form though, but I'd say the same about 99% of guitar 'shred' music I've heard.

15. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yngwie - The intro to Far Beyond the Sun

Satriani - Midnight

Say hello to my vibrato and my tapping inspirations respectively.

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Fives is completely forgettable. Maybe I've heard too much jazz for it to tickle my ear.

No Satriani that is catchy to you? Your are in a minority. He has a slew of successful albums and he's famous for melodic/approachable instrumental rock.

Fives, it is obvious, is a backing track that was written to support certain techniques he was workiing on. At least Yngwie wrote songs (even if euro-pop is not your thing.)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  17. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

GG > any other shredder other than Shawn Lane. Everyone else just sounds like guys showing off techniques over elevator soft rock backing tracks or boring generic rock/metal backing tracks. Erotic cakes as a whole is a great album but Uncle Skunk is the catchiest song he's written IMO. I've never had the chance to see Govan live but I can't imagine it'd be boring at all. I've only seen one shred player live and that was Satriani which damn near put me to sleep with ho boring it was, thank god I didn't pay for that ticket.

18. MaxOfMetal

Pretty much.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. TGN

TGN SS.org Regular

I really like both Cakes and the Aristocrats albums, but as mentioned earlier I find him/them best enjoyed live.

20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Someone wanna change the thread title to "I think Yngway is Better than GG"?

Blasphemer, AxeHappy and Hollowway like this.