Govan Guthrie..does he inspire you or is it just noise?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sharedEQ, Dec 26, 2019.

1. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

He is a fusion shred master. But all of his songs that I've heard are just backing tracks for his pyrotechnics.

I am inspired by his chops, and apparently his repertoire of styles is vast, but at what point is enough enough?

Im not disparaging his musicianship, and I "get" what he's doing, but as a guitarist I just have to say a players value is so much more than how fast he can play or how many styles he can copy.

I think my objection is that he's not original, he just woodshedded more and gained more facility with fusion tropes. Not feeling it.

I'm actually a yngwie fan, go figure. But I'd much rather listen to Guthrie than bonnamassa.

2. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

There’s plenty of music to fit everyone’s taste. I like his improvisation and phrasing. If you don’t like it, I’m sure you’ll find other music that inspires you.

fps likes this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Meaning you like Bonamassa even less?

My guess is that you just dig classical stuff over jazz or blues. Yngwie is neo-classical. So my guess is that jazzy shredding doesn't sound as good to you as classical.

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

There's no denying that Guthrie is an incredible player, though i find myself more inclined to watch than just listen. I'd rather hear cool guitar parts in more of a band (w/ vocals,"songs", etc..) context if i want to enjoy the music. I thought he was a good fit on that Steven Wilson album a few years ago. It takes a lot for me to get into wanky instrumental "music for musicians" stuff. In Guthrie's case i'd rather watch his hands and goofy faces on youtube.

Sidebar: Anyone know what Guthrie's been up to lately? feel like i haven't heard much from his camp the last few years...

5. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Aristocrats was on tour all this year and he did a solo tour last year that I went to. It was my first time seeing him live and it was amazing. He brought an awesome band with him too.

Leviathus likes this.
  6. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I would listen to erotic cakes 100 times before I’d listen to any other shred album barring guys like Bret Garsed or Shawn Lane

Masoo2, JSanta, Blasphemer and 8 others like this.
  7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Funny that this thread is here now. I was just talking to my other guitarist about Guthrie a minute ago. I am in the “big fan” category; and he’s in the “talented, but not my sound” category. I though he was crazy, but apparently there are others. His solo on Regret#9 from that Steven Wilson album is still my favorite little snipet of music ever.

8. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Neither. His music doesn't interest me but it seems pretty good.

9. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Great solo for sure, probably my favorite thing he's done.

Runner and DudeManBrother like this.
  10. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Neither really. Listening to his stuff doesn't particularly inspire me, but I see the talent in what he does, so it's not mere noise to me. He's one of a vast array of musicians whom I respect for their talent, but won't be buying any albums anytime soon.

GoldDragon and Hollowway like this.
  11. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

He's the best guitarist in the world right now IMO, I love his tone and phrasing, which I find instantly recognizeable, and Erotic Cakes is my favourite instrumental guitar album of all time. So yeah, saying he's inspiring would be underselling him.

Doug N and aesthyrian like this.
  12. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

To be fair, this is a djent / chug forum so a guitarist like Guthrie is probably outside of the wheelhouse for many listeners here. I think he's an incredible musician. Guitarists with real improvisational abilities seem to be quite rare these days.

aesthyrian likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What Govan does is not really best suited for listening to recorded, and he knows that, which is one of the reasons why he tours so relentlessly.

It's meant to be showcased live with a real backing band/rhythm section.

As big a fan as I am of some of these absolute monster players, I really can't listen to much of it without being bored or getting serious ear fatigue.

Live, it's a completely different beast.

So go catch him when he's on tour. He's got great stage presence and his rapport with the other musicians is very organic. There's an energy and immediacy that doesn't translate into studio recordings.

14. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Of course he inspires me. His wealth of knowledge and ability to teach make it almost impossible to not get inspired IMO. Great example is this short video , he can honestly not say much at all and there is so much to learn in those 3 minutes.

C_Henderson likes this.
  15. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Wonderful Slippery Thing is the best guitar instrumental ever and it has almost no wankery apart from the two ridiculous legato runs.

Masoo2, StevenC and C_Henderson like this.
  16. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’ve said it before.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

+1 to this. I saw the Aristocrats when they were in town and it was probably the best show I saw this year.

I'm not someone who really likes "shredders" all that much, but I like Govan. Lots of people can play fast, but he can do so while still being very expressive. It's good phrasing, it's all the little bends and noises in the right place, it's understanding your place in the song as a whole, etc.

^ IMO a comment like this is much better applied to the usual suspects on this forum. Your Tosin Abasi and Jeff Loomis types. Loomis in particular, I find, is a great player but has very little sense of phrasing and no ear for tone.

18. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

The only annoying thing about Guthrie is how he makes it all look so bloody easy.

Vyn, MIL8, JSanta and 10 others like this.
  19. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Yes, he inspires me, and I personally think that if he had a stronger back catalogue (although as has been pointed out he's more of a live guy) he'd go down as an all time great. I'm really not one for shreddy instrumental stuff, I never got into Steve Vai or Joe Satriani or Paul Gilbert or Yngwie, but I could listen to Erotic Cakes all day and not get bored. I find it interesting to see his playing described as "pyrotechnics" because although he can undoubtedly shred and has unbelievable technique, the thing that sets him apart for me is that I find him to be an incredibly "musical" player, he's got a great ear and comes up with fantastic melodies. Knowing that he's improvising 90% of the time also makes listening to him that bit more special.

Not that OP is talking nonsense though, some mentioned Steven Wilson and there's an interesting interview with him around the Hand Cannot Erase album where he says the one thing he had to do with Guthrie all the time was tell him to slow down because left to his own devices he would just shred. Steven must have been onto something because Guthrie's solos for him are amazing. Go on youtube and find the isolated version of the Drive Home solo. It's breathtaking and knowing that it's improvised and done on the first take I think puts to bed any argument about Guthrie being just another shredder. There's some videos of him on tour with Hans Zimmer too which are fantastic.

Unrelated but the only other shreddy guitar instrumental stuff that ever interested me was John 5, dude is amazing and I'd never listened to country before.

aesthyrian likes this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

John 5 is a fucking national treasure. Absolutely amazing player who happens to make fun, engaging, enjoyable to listen to music that's stupid fast. Not that he doesn't have some great slower tracks.

I'd actually put Govan and 5 in the same boat. They share a versatility combined with technicality and writing ability that's hard to match.

Both are absolutely built to play live.

It's easy to listen to a song or single album from players like this and pigeon hole them as copycats or shredders, but the breadth of their work says otherwise and you see that more in a composed live set.

sirbuh, JSanta, fps and 1 other person like this.