Got Our Full Length Mix Back Today....

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BadSeed, Oct 16, 2020.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

My band has put out two EP's in the last 2 years. We did both with professional producers, one being a pretty well known guy in the hardcore and metal community. We weren't really happy with how either came out. They sound good, and professional, but really failed to capture "our sound"

We recently recorded a 9 song full length, and went with a completely new guy to do it from front to back. Tracking, mixing, mastering. We got our first mix back today, and damn. It sounds like how we'd always wanted it to sound.

Guitars a thick and saturated, yet clear, bass fills in a lot of the low end, but isn't overpowering. Drums are the hardest to get right, and he nailed them. The drums are samples taken from our drummers kit that he recorded with, so it is real drums and not samples used from a library.

Anyways, take a listen and let me know what you think! See if you can guess what amps may have been used for guitars. There were 3 total.

https://soundcloud.com/kyle-bull-760574723/bc-am-mixed

DISTORT6 and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  2. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

I feel the guitar tone is the weakest part of the mix, too undefined on the chuggy bits and too spiky on the high end. It's also kinda 2d sounding and sitting outside/on top of everything else, maybe something to do with midrange eq. Drums and bass sound great, but it's sorta a big contrast between the processed sound they have and the sorta raw midrangey anemic guitars. On the parts where there is only one guitar playing, it sounds kinda demo like rawness compared to the rest of the recordings. Disclaimer I know nothing of recording or mixing at all and this is much much better than any of my efforts to date, just honest critique.

No idea on the amps... Some kind of Orange, some Mesa?

broj15 likes this.
  3. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

Yeah the guitar sounds very weak in the mix. How many tracks were recorded?

4. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm personally not digging the tone of the guitars. It's honestly sounds like a tone I've dialed in with the virtual guitar rig that came with FL studio to make scratch tracks (though that's subjective so take it for what you will) but the most noticeable issue to my ears is that the guitars sound loud (like disproportionately loud when compared to the drums) but they don't sound thick at all & don't really mesh with the drums well. Like sonoftheoldnorth said, it sounds like the guitars are sitting on top of everything else, which is really different that cutting through the mix. Also I could barely hear the bass at all.
    When you recorded did you just mic the cab or did you mic the room as well? What kind of mic's were used? Just asking cuz ime I've gotten the best tones through mixing the cab the more traditional way (sm57 1/4"-1/2" from the grill cloth, slightly off center from the cone, adjust axis to taste) and then setting a mic about 6-7 feet away and probably 4 feet off the ground. Of course the room itself has a huge effect on best positioning. Then I try and blend the 2 separate tracks together until I get a balance between the two that I like.

sonoftheoldnorth likes this.
  5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Your band is cool with you posting their album for critique?

6. MiPwnYew

MiPwnYew SS.org Regular

I personally like the guitar tone in the mixed song and overall it reminds me of some Sylosis, but I do agree that it feels like they are sitting on top of the mix a bit

7. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I actually really dig the guitar tone, echo the Sylosis remarks, clear tight and aggressive, but agree that it doesn't feel well meshed into the mix

Maybe the bass guitar isn't doing enough? I normally expect a louder bass that blends with the guitars well, where as this bass is pretty low in the mix

8. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I don't think this mix is all that bad, honestly.

I think the guitars need some excitement and the bass could be brought up to blend it better but it's not bad as is. Maybe I'm used to metal bands with horrible production but I can hear everything and it sounds decent.

Mind you I'm listening on studio monitors, so maybe that's why. I'm wondering if everyone else is listening on normal speakers..which honestly would be the deciding factor since obviously everyone won't listen to this through a studio setup.

c7spheres and BadSeed like this.
  9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I think that the box overall is actually nice, just not a fan of "Cookie Monster" vocals, otherwise, lot's of punch & energy.

10. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

Maybe if I was listening on a super hi-def setup, I'd feel differently, but on my laptop with old Apple earbuds, it sounds great. I love the old school death metal guitar tone. Really love the bass tone, too.

11. fps

fps Kit

Honestly, you’re just going to get people bitching by posting this here. Sorry! Ignore the haters if it is what you want then it is what it should be! I think it kicks! \m/

FILTHnFEAR, bostjan, BadSeed and 3 others like this.
  12. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Yeeeah....I feel like this is kinda the truth. I don't hear anything really wrong with the mix and it sounds good.

Choop likes this.
  13. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

I'm listening this on my Sony WH1000XM3 and it sounds pretty good to me. I would crank that bass guitar though!

14. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Listening the song with ear buds on my mobile phone, it sounds great.

15. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Yep, we're not dickheads.

DISTORT6 likes this.
  16. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the impressions guys, even the bad ones. I honestly posted to see what the general public would think, not expecting a pat on the back.

I agree, I think the guitars are a tad bit too out front, and it actually buries the vocals a bit. I don't believe that they sound thin by any means, but I think the way they are mixed in is just a little too loud or cutting in the upper mids. If you listen in a car with a decent sound setup, or on a real stereo vs earbuds or computer speakers, the guitars have a nice low end chunk to them that doesn't step on the other frequencies.

As far as the bass, if you're listening on something that carries the low frequencies, the bass is definitely present. However, it doesn't grind enough in the highs for my liking and that's what makes it seem not so present.

Overall I'm happy with the drums. Sure they've been processed, but they're still 100% our real kit and the tones coming out of it translate nicely.

DISTORT6 and Masoo2 like this.
  17. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:hbang:

Sounds kick-ass to me. Might just be my system, but lead guitar is more present than I am used to hearing. I can still make out everything else (even the bass), though, so I don't think that's necessarily a negative thing.

BadSeed likes this.
  18. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Sounds pretty damn good to me OP. Jammin.

c7spheres likes this.
  19. Redwind

Redwind WhatisthisIdonteven

Well, if you’re going for that old school death metal production sound, then this sounds fucking great!

And if you’re looking for a more modern sound or something different altogether, then maybe don’t, because this sounds fucking great!

Given I’m listening to it on headphones on my work computer, but I don’t hear any problems with the guitar, and the bass blends well with the gits. Good stuff!

20. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

Sounds pretty good to me(listening on high quality headphones). But yeah, I do think the guitars are just a bit too high in the mix. Tone wise, it's top notch.