Got my lip pierced!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Lip piercing on both sides, not just one side like budda.
:)

Two on the same side = spiderbites

the piercer actually suggested 2 rings on the same side, after she had marked the places where she could pierce me.

im actually giving it minor consideration *sigh* but i plan to stick with just one lol.

and all of a sudden, 1PM friday cant come soon enough. even though i have 2 tests the day before :wallbash:

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
If/When I get my snakebites back professionally I'm going to get them with thicker rings. The size of the labret in your lip is a 14G and I didn't like how that thin of a ring looked so I'm going to get 10G rings (2 sizes up) and possibly spiderbites on both sides but 14G and LITTLE ball ends instead of rings so it doesn't look like too much.

Even though many of you will think it's too much as it is :lol:
I just really like piercings, I also might be getting microdermal anchors soon.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
crazy rat bastard lol.

i just want ma hoop, dammit!

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
i think semi-stretch lobes are cool, but i feel bad for the dudes when they dont want 'em anymore.

The size that mine are at are still not past the point of no return. If I were to take mine out right now, they would go back to an itty bitty hole in time BUT my goal is at LEAST an inch. :)

part of the reason i want the hoop sooner is because of the nice little pit being dug into the inside of my lip lol. im worried it'll grow over the bar somehow. with the hoop, i wont have to worry about that. same maintenance and everything, just it'll be Done.

Dude, that EXACT same thing happened to me so when I get mine done again I'm gonna ask for a longer labret if they have one. I have a kinda big bottom lip so when it swelled up from the piercing, the back of the labret dug into my lip AND because of the tight fit the ball would come off while I was eating or talking so it was a pain in the ass.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
thing is, she did give me what seemed to be a fairly long one - until it started swelling up.

im going back down tomorrow for the hoop, i talked to my friend about it (yes she has her lip done too).

and hopefully eating will be a bit easier now too :) haha. 4pm tomorrow i hop on a crowded bus to finish this sucker!

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Helpful Tip: As tempting as it is DO NOT bite on it or mess with it too much as it's fairly new. It will turn into a habit and can possibly affect the healing of it. Like you might get a funny piece of skin trying to grow over the ring and it looks GROSS.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah im trying damn hard not to (i dont bite it at all), but i do keep moving it to make sure it doesnt get under the skin on the inside, cuz im not 100% sure that's a safe thign to have happen. especially since when i looked at it at one point, it was fairly covered.

i am hoping that with the hoop, i can just leave it alone and it'll be fine. that's the game plan, at least. touch as little as possible (dont have to worry about the end of a stud getting grown over anymore..) and clean it.

marv, you said the same thing as the piercer. and she also said "you will play with it, but try not to do it as much as possible". yesterday wasnt too bad (until the inside under skin thing.. then worry set in a bit lol) and today was all the worry-check-push thing.

as i said, i get the hoop, i just clean it, things are fine. if anything, i'll have to get the hoop replaced with a smaller one in a few weeks.. but my lip really doesnt look that swollen.

it seems to be bigger in the morning, especially today since i woke up because my pillow pushed it or something. glad im going in tomorrow evening to get the hoop. my buddy is comin with me, so i'll update the pic.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
was that tip for the current labret, the hoop, or both? for clarification lol.

im guessing both.. i hope they dont mind that im coming back this early for the hoop. i think the swelling still has to go down a bit, not sure how much. i dont want a huge gap between my lip and the ring when it's done lol, which may be the case.. and another $10 for the sterilized hoop *sigh* (which would be a total of $55 for this!)

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
was that tip for the current labret, the hoop, or both? for clarification lol.

Both.

Dude, look at it this way... my bridge piercing cost me $70.

Total rip-off but...
1. fuck doing that shit myself
2. business was going slow for the shop lately
...so I totally understood and paid anyways.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
$70 actually isn't a terrible price for a piercing from a reputable shop.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
Well when I went there for something one day, I asked the guy "So how much would it cost to get my bridge pierced?" he answered "Hmm... you're chill so we can do $55 with everything." and I replied "Awesome, I'll be here in a couple weeks for it."

So I come back later and he says $70... $55 to $70 is a pretty big change in price. But I'm happy with it, no complaints other than the price.

thedownside

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
marv, you said the same thing as the piercer. and she also said "you will play with it, but try not to do it as much as possible". yesterday wasnt too bad (until the inside under skin thing.. then worry set in a bit lol) and today was all the worry-check-push thing.

when i got my lip done, the little flap of skin thing happened to me, but it's kinda normal. my gf (she's a piercer) has seen it a bunch, and it went away after a few days, it's no biggie. i wouldnt rush for a hoop, i'd just let it heal as is

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe (probably :lol:) im just trying to justify the hoop, but i know i can get one w/o it being that big a deal - some (most?) people dont even get the bar first.

i think i'd have better luck having the hoop heal simply because i dont have to worry about it getting stuck behind a tooth.. which means not pushing it every 5 minutes to keep it out of the skin hehe.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
laura skipped the bar entirely, stitch got the bar then waited for the hoop... i'll be the inbetween dude lol

It's like some strange science experiment. I'll be the control -- with no piercing(for now). :lol:

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
maybe (probably :lol:) im just trying to justify the hoop, but i know i can get one w/o it being that big a deal - some (most?) people dont even get the bar first.

i think i'd have better luck having the hoop heal simply because i dont have to worry about it getting stuck behind a tooth.. which means not pushing it every 5 minutes to keep it out of the skin hehe.

Seriously dude, leave it a while before trying to have the hoop put in. Yeah, you want it now really badly, but if you don't want for it to heal properly you risk damaging the piercing. The swelling will go down, and as long as you clean it after every time you eat or drink, it should heal up nice and quickly and then you can have the hoop put in safely; having the bar pulled out and putting a hoop in is only going to aggravate the wound, causing it to swell up more and making it more prone to infection and scarring, so be patient and wait :wavey:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Lip piercing on both sides, not just one side like budda.

Also known as, rather deliciously I must say, cock rails.

I'll let you figure out why they are called that on your own. ;)

i almost want a black one. but will get surgical steel like i should lol. i'll leave the emo-black-lip-ring to stitch :lol:
:wub:

Ahem. I have real metal. :squint:

If/When I get my snakebites back professionally I'm going to get them with thicker rings. The size of the labret in your lip is a 14G and I didn't like how that thin of a ring looked so I'm going to get 10G rings (2 sizes up) and possibly spiderbites on both sides but 14G and LITTLE ball ends instead of rings so it doesn't look like too much.

Even though many of you will think it's too much as it is :lol:
I just really like piercings, I also might be getting microdermal anchors soon.

JJ, the singer from my band, has a ring and a bar right beside each other, and I love how they look. It looks like he has a spiral, but of course he doesn't, and he can always play about with other combo's if he fancies...

Helpful Tip: As tempting as it is DO NOT bite on it or mess with it too much as it's fairly new. It will turn into a habit and can possibly affect the healing of it. Like you might get a funny piece of skin trying to grow over the ring and it looks GROSS.

Can't agree with this enough - I did and its a habit I'm really struggling to get rid of. Doesn't affect my gums but I'm wearing one of my incisers from playing with my piercing.

Seriously dude, leave it a while before trying to have the hoop put in. Yeah, you want it now really badly, but if you don't want for it to heal properly you risk damaging the piercing. The swelling will go down, and as long as you clean it after every time you eat or drink, it should heal up nice and quickly and then you can have the hoop put in safely; having the bar pulled out and putting a hoop in is only going to aggravate the wound, causing it to swell up more and making it more prone to infection and scarring, so be patient and wait :wavey:

I've got him sorted. he knows I'm right. :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score

The neat thing about hoops as far as maintenance is that cleaning is a lot easier. It's slightly more difficult to clean the bar part of a stud, but with the hoop you just have to spin it around to clean every part of it. For a new piercing, though, the stud is probably better. I say this mainly from experience having had labret piercings heal both ways. The hoop is a lot more likely to get tapped and jostled around. It will get messed with every time you eat or speak, and even when your mouth is closed, your upper lip will be applying slight but constant pressure. It doesn't take long for that to make the piercing pretty sore if it's new.

Another reason to wait on changing out the jewelry is the type you have in now. I'm assuming your stud, like the vast majority of them, is externally threaded. By that, I mean that if you unscrew the ball on the end, you can clearly see the threads on the outside of the bar. Externally threaded piercing jewelry, be it a stud, bar, or horseshoe, is kind of bad for the piercing. This is because when you insert or remove said jewelry, the threads basically rip at the flesh in the hole. Once you've had it a while and developed skin where the hole is, it's not as bad if you're not removing it regularly, but for new or irritated piercings, it's best to avoid it.

While I'm on the subject of things to be aware of concerning that stud, be conscious of the backing. Aside from getting caught on your teeth, it can also fuck up your gumline and tooth enamel. If you notice the backing rubbing on your teeth or gums, try to stay conscious of it and minimize that. It can do real damage over time. Some people have to have oral surgery to fix things, though those are the more extreme cases. I switched to hoops and horseshoes at one point because my studs were bothering my gums a bit, and I wanted to avoid those problems. I've got studs again now, but they're made of bioplast.

Anyway, I think my original point was that you should wait until you heal up a bit more. :)

Latest posts