Got A Couple of Amps Modded

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BadSeed, Jun 12, 2021.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Took two of my amps to my tech this week, and he returned them with my requested mods, both of which have me smiling.

First up is my 3 Channel Triple Rec. I had the 100k resistors in the preamp portion of channels 2 and 3 bypassed to tighten the amp, and had the stock 250k gain pots replaced with 1 meg pots. Results are a tighter amp with a more liquid feeling gain, less stiff, a little easier to play. Chugs are still big but the bass reacts quicker.

Second is my Jet City JCA50H I had the SLO and Depth mods done to this one. Big difference here. Gain is no longer over the top, a little more clarity, rounder, nicer sounding mids and not nearly as bright as before. Depth mod improves the low end as the amp in stock form is a little light in that area. This amp always punched above it's weight, but now it's just stupid.

Edika, 4Eyes, DielonKilo and 6 others like this.
  2. jwiltz2072

jwiltz2072 SS.org Regular

I just picked up a 3 channel Triple Recto myself. Can I get details on that mod?

Thanks!

3. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Do you have a head switcher device? If not you really need one man!! Can’t imagine having that many heads in one room without one. I only have a few and it drives me nuts unplugging/replugging cables, I’m paranoid one day I am going to power one up accidentally without a load and blow a transformer.

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I only have three amps and have been thinking of getting a head/cab switcher just for the convenience. The bad part is that they are really expensive for the good stuff like Ampete and KHE. It's often easier to just buy another cab and have a dedicated cab for each amp that matches it best. Of course when you have a lot of heads then having a cab for each becomes a significant space issue.

Elric likes this.
  5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

There's no way I can afford one-to-one head to cab ratio lol. Is there a recommended lossless switcher and does any have an ABY option? The wife has already spec'd a studio (for our new house that's being built) and she wants me to do the clean amps and cabs in the wall rack setup. I'm not going to argue...

6. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Well, the ampete stuff @laxu had mentioned was the one I had seen; they look pretty amazing. The 4x4 switcher is like $1400 or so. But if you have ton of expensive heads it might be worth the cost. I am considering building some silent loads with like 8 or 16ohm 100w-200w resistors and always have them attached or something just in case. I am paranoid….

USMarine75 likes this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

If anyone has been to Axe Palace (or I think DCGL has it too) I want something like that. Ability to switch input to different heads and switch heads to diff cabs.

But for $100.

J/k :lol:

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I haven't seen anything that allows for Y option (two amps at the same time). You'd probably have to use two switchers for that. If I were to buy one of these I'd probably go for KHE because they are MIDI switchable and cheaper than Ampete.

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

How would you say your JCA compares with your actual SLO II now?

11. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Quite similar now, but I have to reserve final judgement until I compare them side by side.

At first blush, the Jet City now has a little rounder mids, less gain, less harshness (stock form, they're damn bright) and WAY more low end. It seems to lack a little clarity, but then again I played it right after playing my modded triple rectifier and KSR Orthos, so it may just be tough competition as far as those comparisons go.

Fully plan on doing a shootout video of both the amp in it's stock form vs the slo mod and against the SLO itself.

12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Sounds good!

I have a JCA100HDM I have considered modding forever. There are tons of mods, but I keep thinking the SLO mod would make the most sense. It doesn't make sense to try to make it something that it is not. I might as well optimize the SLO'ness, while fixing that stupid useless loop.

BadSeed likes this.
  13. skullfxr

skullfxr SS.org Regular

Radial Engineering Headbone VT $150 used. I have four rigged up.

14. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I will actually be having the Predator Mod done to my currently Stock JCA50H after I do these shootout videos, as that was another popular one.

It's a shame these don't sell for $200 used any more, as ou could pick up 5 or 6 for the prices of one dual rectifier used and have each one modded to a diffirent spec. LOL