Got a $100 gift card to guitar center for my b day. What pedal do I buy?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Aug 16, 2018.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Title is pretty self explanatory. I'm willing to throw down another $100-$150 for the right pedal.

Not super into chorus, flanger, etc. Mainly just looking at delays/reverbs (hybrids & 2 in ones are cool) as long as they can do "post rock in a box".

As far as OD's/distortions go I don't really care for tube screamer style pedals, and I've not found an HM-2 variant that I really bond with. Fuzz pedals are often to muddy for my taste as well. I really liked my OCD and kinda regret selling it, but I feel like I could find better, and my boss OS-2 works great on bass, but doesn't really do it for me with guitar imo. I like a fair amount of distortion/OD, but of course it has to be tight and articulate, with lots of attack (but NOT NECESSARILY DJENT). I really like Kurt ballou's tone, obviously, as well as band's like birds in row, portrayal of guilt, respire, Gillian Carter, etc. I know Kurt has said he used the Providence Stampede OD (what his business card PCB is based on) on you fail me & axe to fall and GC has a used one for about $130.

Also, I'll be using it in either stero or mono configurations with either my Sunn concert lead, peavey musician 400, or valveking head going into either a Sunn 610L, 1 or 2 silverstripe peavey 2x15's (both replaces with eminence betas), or a peavey oversized 412.

2. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Maybe pay a bit more and get the Avalanche Run?

broj15 likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

A used Earthquaker Dispatch Master should run you $120-140 if the GC used site has any. I had one for a while and it was a pretty nice one-stop-shop for ambient sounds into a clean channel. I only sold mine because I already had a handful of other pedals to cover those sounds :2c:

EDIT: if you don't want to add any cash on top of the $100 gift card, it's hard to go wrong with an MXR Carbon Copy or TC Hall of Fame

broj15 likes this.
  4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am thinking MXR 10-Band EQ. Incredibly useful pedal in many different situations.

broj15 and skmanga like this.
  5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Used keeley caverns. Like the eqd except you can run reverb and delay seperate or together.

broj15 and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  6. Soya

Soya Poor person

Two different tuners.

broj15 and mnemonic like this.
  7. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Earthquake devices afterneath. Its amazing

broj15 and The906 like this.
  8. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

broj15 likes this.
  9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Wow, thanks for all the responses y'all! I've been interested in the afterneath for quite a while, but have waiting for more used ones to pop up/prices to drop and it looks like a viable option rn. I've my bandmate had a dispatch master, which I've used quite a bit, but imo it does alot of things well but it isn't super great at anything (no diss on the pedal, that just means it's hella versatile and a good all in one. Just not as unique as the afterneath).

I've never looked into any of boss' rv stuff, but I'll check it out. I had a dd20 for a time, but I felt overwhelmed by all the options and found myself doing more tweaking than playing, but maybe one of thier smaller note affordable pedals would be a better option for me.

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Just make sure to get the silver newer one. The black one I have is too noisy, and I've heard that's an improvement on the newer version in silver with the blue LEDs.

11. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

My two cents. If I were to get a new verb pedal, it would be the Ocean's 11.
    If you happen to get an EQD Avalanche Run, absolutely plan on using an EXP with it.

12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I would look at mini pedals for that price range

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Buck the trend here and buy a SM57! :lol:

14. Kaura

Kaura bum

Two Metal Zones. Double the fizz!

Edit: Oh, wait. They still cost almost $100 a piece. Well, just one then.

15. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Thankfully we already have a couple but that's a good call. I was thinking I could be practical & buy one of those solderless diy cable kits and some strings but that's no fun at all :lol:

16. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Ok, so after some thought and watching some demos I think I'm feeling the boss rv6. Looks like third a few for $99 plus shipping. Plus the stereo outputs would be a plus so I can still run 2 heads without the need for an ab/y pedal. At the same time though the afterneath is still really tempting.... Every demo I've heard of it sounds perfect for what I wanna do, but is It capable of more traditional/conservative sounds? I'm not looking for anything that's gonna sound "cheesy" after a while.