Good Tube amp for Metal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Mendez, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mendez

Mendez SS.org Regular

Whats a good tube amp in the $400-600 range? I was looking at the 6505+ 1x12 combo amp, but i just wanted to know if there was anything else out there. I'm kinda new to tube amps so i wanted some knowledge/advice. :metal:

2. drenz

drenz SS.org Regular

Anything 6505 related is a great place to start. Or if you want to go a bit cheaper, look into Bugera :)

3. Tones

Tones Red paperclip trader

always gonna recommend the Peavey xxx or the ultra +.
    5150, and as stated above, bugeras are great bang for your buck! 333/333xl/6262

4. Mendez

Mendez SS.org Regular

The problem with getting an amp head would be having to get an cab though, sorta why i was thinking in about something in a combo. Whats a good combo amp from bugera? I played one a guitar center a while back, sounded pretty good but i didnt pay much attention to it since i wasnt looking for an amp.

Edit: just did a google search on the 333/333xl/6262 and they have combo versions.

Thanks for the help guys.

5. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

I really liked the 333xl combo when I played on it.
    It's really worth checking out.

6. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Any used Peavey.

7. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

i loooove my 6505+ combo. great little amp, especially for as cheap as you can find them. if you can find one, get the older 5150 model. its a 2x12, and it is built a little bit better, but the 6505+ is no slouch. especially with a simple speaker change, it makes a great 1x12 for any extra heads you may have laying around

8. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

JCM 800 2204
    EDIT:
    Peavey Butcher
    Ibanez Tubescreamer head (I guess? The gain channel certainly is nice, but might not be "metal enough"
    I guess you could make anything a metal amp if you exchange a few parts and put the right pedal in front.

9. hxcdeathcore

hxcdeathcore SS.org Regular

Used 5150 or Bugera 6262, 6260, or 333XL

10. Kali Yuga

Kali Yuga SS.org Regular

They're only in that price range when you come across a steal.

Maybe Peavey VTM 120/60. It depends on what you play, really.

11. hxcdeathcore

hxcdeathcore SS.org Regular

Ibanez TBX 250 head kicks ass for metal as well.

12. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

Boss Metal Zone...hehehe

13. geofreesun

geofreesun SS.org Regular

if you don't need to play loud or with a drummer, i suggest gsp1101~ it's a great unit for practice, u can partially load impulses too. im getting so many cool sounds out of it and they are all very usable.

14. beneharris

if you want to go really cheap, you could get a jca20h (or the 22h when it comes out). i can't say enough good things about mine. boosted it really gets mean.

or the blackstar ht-5. a lot of people are getting more than passable metal tones from both of these

15. Mendez

Mendez SS.org Regular

Ah so many amps for cheap :eek:. Out of curiosity is the jca20h versatile? I see its real cheap brand new (amp head+ a 1x12 cab), what would be a good speaker to replace the stock ones with? For 350 its sounding pretty good :agreed:

16. beneharris

I wouldn't say its incredibly versatile, but i don't use it for much. i boost it, and use it for cleans mainly. then for a light crunch. you could get a nice bluesy sound out of it too. its WAY more versatile than a 6505+ would be for sure. and i actually prefer the distortion on the JCA. its clearer, and more "fluid" for lack of a better word.

i've got it running with a V30 and it sounds great. if you have one near you go to guitar center and fart around with one. be sure to bring the pedal you will boost it with, and see what you think. for the price the heads cost, you really can't go wrong with it.

just keep in mind that the amp isn't a high gain amp. but it pulls off incredible metal tones if you push it. just don't expect the same bite you would get off of a peavey.

anyway, just try it, i think you'll see what i mean. its a sweet amp :drool:

17. Mendez

Mendez SS.org Regular

Damn now i have to try one...i saw one at a GC near me once, I'm going to have to go test one out. I don't really need full blown gain. Although i liked the tones off of the 6505+ i played, real nice. But as long as the amp can pull off a nice heavy crunch for chugs and pull off decent cleans, then its worth to go test it out, especially for the price. Hmm, i dont have any pedals to actually boost an amp tho, what pedal do you recommend?

18. beneharris

i boost mine with a bloody murder, but that isn't really a readily available pedal. i would check a ts9 or ts7.

do yourself a favor and read some of the overdrive threads that have been popping up around lately, there is a lot of good information in there. better than i could regurgitate here. guitar center should have some pedals lying around that you can use i'm sure.

Mendez likes this.
  19. Mendez

Mendez SS.org Regular

Alright guess ill look around. Either way ill go test the amp and see how my ears like it. If anything i could get the 6505 combo if i don't like it. Im just real curious how that amp would sound boosted now. Thanks for the help :wavey:

20. Dead Undead

Dead Undead New again

I tried a Blackstar HT-5 and to be totally honest, I disliked it greatly. It just didn't sound right to me, no matter how I tweaked it. It had a slight fizz that was just noticeable enough to make me turn my attention to other amps. Personally I think the ISF control is just stupid. What that reminds me of is a modeling amp, trying to do too much at once. They list those amps as all tube, but I swear I think they're hybrids. The cleans are "meh" too. Hell I've gotten better cleans AND distorted tones from an AC15.