Good soy sauce?

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So since this chinese place opened up a mile from my house I've been eating there a lot and use WAY more soy sauce then they give and I don't feel like asking them for a separate bag for the stuff.

So I bought some random one at the store but it tastes NOTHING like the stuff you get from the little packets, its very bitter and awful.

Anyone know any good soy sauce brands that taste more like what you get in the packets or are just not disgustingly bitter?

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
kikkoman-low-sodium-soy-sauce.jpg

Kikkoman is the be all end all of soy sauces.

EDIT: You probably bought some cheap ass store brand swill that isn't even actually fermented.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I use Kroger (my local grocery) brand and it fucking rules. And I'm in the boat of "how do you even survive using that much soy sauce" group. :lol:

The Munk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I too, like my food to do the back stroke in soy sauce.
My preferred brand: Silver Swan
0079809719451.jpg

groph

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd definitely go with naturally brewed, fermented stuff. VH makes soy sauce, it's a pretty standard brand around here, and it's shit. It tastes like abrasive, salty rape on the back of your tongue.

Kikkoman is good, Rooster brand seems decent as well. Naturally brewed is a lot more complex in flavor, less salty and fuck it smells good.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
:yesway:

Will look for one of those two brands, so is the big thing fermented vs not?

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
I'd definitely go with naturally brewed, fermented stuff.

Must. Kikkoman (reduced sodium, of course) is what I typically use.

san-j-e1281378484950.jpg

^ Also excellent. It's made with just soybeans, instead of soybeans and wheat. It has a somewhat richer, smoother flavor.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
<-----Asian dude.

I was gonna type this long, drawn out explanation of soy sauce, and found out the wikipedia does a great job of saying what I would have said.

Soy sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For Japanese-style soy sauce, I like Kikkoman's Low Sodium. For Chinese-style I actually like European imported Maggi Seasoning (which cannot be called soy sauce b/c it actually doesn't contain any soy! :lol::lol::lol:)

Since most Vietnamese people like the Chinese flavor over the Japanese flavor, we stock Maggi at my house. :yesway:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So which kinds the stuff that comes in the little packets at american chinese joints xD

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
From the wikipedia page...

"Some brands of soy sauce are often made from acid-hydrolyzed soy protein instead of brewed with a traditional culture. This process may take only three days.[13] Although they have a different flavor, aroma, and texture when compared to brewed soy sauces, they have a longer shelf-life and are more commonly produced for this reason. Some people feel the hydrolyzed sauces taste better, but some prefer the naturally brewed varieties. The clear plastic packets of dark sauce common with Chinese-style take out food typically use a hydrolyzed vegetable protein formula."

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I missed the part where it said the packets are chinese or japanese style.

Either way I stopped by the grocery store across the street from work and all they had was the kikkoman bottle linked in this thread and the La choy bottle I have in my house that tastes like wild shit so I bought the kikkoman.

Will test later!

Sea

THALL
Reaction score
Soy sauce, yuck. The Chinese place I order from supposedly has good soy sauce.

I drink quarts of duck sauce to prevent dehydration.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Thank you, that was a very constructive post. I appreciate it.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Kikkoman (japanese style soy sauce) will taste kinda weird on chinese food at first, especially if you like the soy sauce in those to-go packets.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Ah, well I'll see the hard way since I already bought a bottle xD

They're all of like 2 smacks so its not a huge loss. Does anyone make anything like what you get in the packets but in a large bottle form? That was kinda the whole point of the thread.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Yeah your right phi this kikkoman doesn't taste anything like whats in the packets either, its better than the la choy stuff I got but its still not the packet stuff.

Oi...

So referring to my OP does anyone know of anything that tastes like the packets since that's what I was asking about in the first place?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Found a soy sauce you like? Good, now move on... to FISH SAUCE! Nuoc mam is the Vietnamese fish sauce, and I love the stuff. Obviously it's not a replacement. But check that stuff out if you're not partaking already. :yesway:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
No, I didn't find a soy sauce I like yet... Hence my last post :squint: