Good overdrive pedals?

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
/\ What Alex said. If you want amp-like distortion from your clean channel, that's a whole different class of pedals and suggestions will definitely depend on what kind of sound you are looking for.

DarkNe0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're looking for DISTORTION pedals, check the EHX Metal Muff and Amptweaker Tightmetal pro

stevexc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From what it looks like, the SD 805 seems like theost recommended. But is it enough to get metal-like tones from it? Also what about the walrus audio Voyager?

My amp is a fender mustang II V2. I know, not an amazing amp, but I can't exactly have something huge in a college dorm either.

Also for the metal zone, I use it on a clean channel, but it still sounds very... "Buzz saw" like in my opinion.

I honestly haven't had any success running overdrive or distortion pedals into my Mustang II. I was able to get alright metal tones using the British Color amp, though, I can upload the preset tonight if you want.

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
Oh I guess I'm looking for a distortion pedal then. I am sorry, very newbie with rig stuff. I usually only pay attention to the guitars. that and from the bad stuff I was getting from the Metal zone, anything with the word "distortion" scared me because I thought it would be the same.

Also Im considering selling my rig (mustang II v2 and a POD HD500 Im just having no luck with) to get something small but powerful and some pedals. Any recommendations on that? I was considering the Orange micro/tiny terror and the small cab for it

DarkNe0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you already have an HD500 I recommend to keep it. Check its dedicated thread, you'll find loads of info there. You can get insane tones out of it and it's extremely conventional!

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
If you already have an HD500 I recommend to keep it. Check its dedicated thread, you'll find loads of info there. You can get insane tones out of it and it's extremely conventional!

Ill check that out. I just haven't gotten anything tight out of it that I like.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ill check that out. I just haven't gotten anything tight out of it that I like.

The thing with the Pod (any generation) is that you have to spend a bit of time with them in order to get a decent tone out of them. You can't just fire up one of the pre-sets and expect to get a tone you love. As it's been suggested, try going through the Pod HD thread and look for suggestions and/or patches people have made. It'll sound a lot better than any $100 pedal will.

meambobbo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Getting a great distortion tone out of a pedal is a tough nut to crack. Personally, I'd look for swapping the amp rather than trying to run a pedal into it. If you want a great tone from a pedal, you'd have to go higher end, like the Bogner pedals with pre-amp tubes in them. Heard good things about the AmpTweaker TightMetal.

The Boss DS-1 is a great classic distortion pedal, but it's more rock than metal IMO.

Edit: Airis Effects actually makes a pre-amp pedal that's not too expensive. It may be discontinued? Here's a clip:
https://soundcloud.com/airiseffects/hades-high-gain-preamp - that's just straight into a cab impulse, which is pretty impressive. Many distortion pedals need to be run into a tube amp to sound awesome.

TKOA-Dex

Master of Thall
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It looks like an amp is the way to go then. Any recommendations on good but less expensive ones? I'm thinking the Orange micro terror with the 1x8 cab for space saving but still having good tone. Maybe running pedals with that would work nicely

DarkNe0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it's not a MUST for you to have a tube amp, look at the AMT Stonehead. Amazing amp.

Here's a how it sounds in a ....ty mix of mine (raw tracks):

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/micheln27/killswitch-engage-in-due-time[/SC]

stevexc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It looks like an amp is the way to go then. Any recommendations on good but less expensive ones? I'm thinking the Orange micro terror with the 1x8 cab for space saving but still having good tone. Maybe running pedals with that would work nicely

Peavey 6505MH is solid.

I'm looking at getting a Peavey Valveking II, which I was able to get some decently tight metal tones (tight enough for me at least) out of.

The Randall Diavlo amps are pretty not bad and fairly cheap.

Blackstar has the HT-5 and HT-5 Metal that sound great, the Metal has a decent amount of gain but the regular one is a bit lacking IMO.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Boss SD-1 is a good choice as well, very similar to a TS, but it has an asymmetrical clipping circuit that adds some cool overtones.

I dig the boss SD-1 too. Especially if you are new to using overdrives, get a TS9 or Boss SD-1. They are perfect for tightening up distorted guitar - which not all overdrives do well. I'd start with the tried and true, then start checking out others if you want to find your own flavor - which will be subtle anyway especially live.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Boss SD-1 is a good choice as well, very similar to a TS, but it has an asymmetrical clipping circuit that adds some cool overtones.

I dig the boss SD-1 too. Especially if you are new to using overdrives, get a TS9 or Boss SD-1. They are perfect for tightening up distorted guitar - which not all overdrives do well (for example, Boss regular Overdrive sucks for boosting). I'd start with the tried and true, then start checking out others if you want to find your own flavor - which will be subtle anyway especially live.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wasn't going to mention it again as I already did in another thread asking about OD's, but as no one else has brought it up here, I'd say check out the fulltone OCD. After trying several tube screamer variants and a soul food I decided to check out the OCD. If you try it with a 9v adapter and aren't convinced then I'd suggest running with an 18v. Adds a ton of headroom, gain, and clarity. Not to mention the high pass/low pass switch is fun to mess around with (basically just adds a few db's at ~840hz, more gain, and more volume).

andyjanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I picked up a Way Huge Green Rhino yesterday and it rips - gave my Orange Dark Terror exactly what was needed. You can dial out some of the bottom end with the 100hz control which is cool, and there's a mid curve control which I don't really understand. Otherwise it functions like a tubescreamer.