Good Headphones for Jamming

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by guitaardvark, Jul 9, 2020.

1. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

Hey everyone,

So I'll be moving into a shared living space where I will have roommates. Due to space and noise restrictions, I'm looking for a good set of headphones to use for jamming through plugins. I may be doing some light mixing, but it's definitely not a priority. My issue with headphones vs. monitors is that headphones usually sound flat and claustrophobic, so guitars kind of lose that energy when I jam through them. My friend and a lot of the internet seem to recommend AT-M50x, but I just wanted to see if there were any other contenders.

I'd prefer to keep it under $300, and I prefer to buy used so bonus points if they're widely available. Thanks so much!

2. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

makecamera and guitaardvark like this.
  3. Empryrean

Empryrean Plucks strings

Do you want closed headphones or would open be okay?
    I have used Sennheiser 58x Jubilees for a while and theyre open back so long sessions don't get sweaty, best part is they can be had new for $200 or used for a bit less (if you're into that kind of thing)
    https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones
    if you want something closed I'd say go with Jaxadam's suggestion but maybe try them first as for myself I find beyerdynamic headphones to have too sharp of a treble response and it messes with my tinnitus

4. guitaardvark

guitaardvark SS.org Regular

I'm not very familiar with what the pros and cons of each style are other than isolation. I get the feeling that open backs would help prevent the sterility and claustrophobia that I encounter with headphones when jamming.

Also good point about the tinnitus; I have mild tinnitus myself and I didn't consider that. Thanks!

5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Open backs feel a little more like you're in a room where audio exists, rather than having it directed into your ears. To me, it's as big of a difference as having central heat vs a heater fan blowing on you. There's less pressure, and the sound stage is much wider. However, it does mean that listening at anything above whisper volume, anyone else in your space can likely hear what you're listening to...and if you're listening at any sort of "fun" volume, they will be able be able to hear it easily (at least the ones I had were like that). Depending on what kind of microphone you're using, it could pick up headphone bleed pretty easily.

6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I use ATH-M50's and like them a lot. Good for studio and jamming. They get really loud and handle low end well too.