Good flat headphones nowadays?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by littlebadboy, May 28, 2021.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Hello everyone!

I got $120 worth of Amazon gift cards. What's good pair ofstudio headphones that is as flat as could be to be true in that price range?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Audio Technica MTH-M50X always gets mentioned in these conversations. I have the prior model (without the X). Apparently there's a bit of low end hype, but they seem flat enough while still pleasant to listen to.

3. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Sony mdr-7506 emphasises treble a bit (exposes mistakes), Beyerdynamic dt770 pro have weaker mids/more bass,
    but both are very good and popular choices.
    The Beyerdynamic has the benefit that it is also quite nice for just listening to music.

ATRguitar91 and littlebadboy like this.
  4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I like my Ath-M50's. THey retail for $150 but deals can be found on them if you look around for a bit. Comfortable and able to handle power and flat response too. They're closed back.

littlebadboy likes this.
  5. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

If you can find em used, the Beyerdynamic DT880s are more neutral than any of the headphones listed above and comfy.
    I went on a big headphone binge a while back before settling on my 3 favorites DT880, DT770, and Sennheiser HD600. If you're exclusively wearing them at home, I highly recommend going with some open headphones.

People love the M50s, but I absolutely hated those headphones. Harsh highs, wooly bass, and no soundstage.

If you're set on closed, the DT770s are the best in your price range. Not entirely neutral, but close enough I'd say; there's a bit of a bass hump and the highs are accentuated, nothing like the M50s though. They respond to EQing well, and are incredibly comfortable.

jaxadam and littlebadboy like this.
  6. FearComplex

FearComplex Contributor

I have both the M50 and the M50x and much prefer the original M50. The X is a scooped mess, low end wobbles all over the place with highs spitting blades at you. The original M50 has a deep but controlled low end, more forward and honest mids and smooth yet detailed highs.

c7spheres and ATRguitar91 like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I like my M40Xs. Apparently they're the same platform as the M50X but with different drivers to make the sound more flat and "honest". Plus they're cheaper.

8. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Another vote for the DT770 Pros here.

jaxadam and ATRguitar91 like this.
  9. ATRguitar91

The m40 are better to my ears too, much flatter. Still not as comfy as the DT770s.

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Thank you all!

Choices, choices, choices...

11. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I ended up with the DT770’s. The M50’s sounded *better* but that’s not what I was going for; I immediately knew they were coloring the sound in a Pop music sort of way (a lot of high treble and bass). They were not nearly as comfortable as the DT770’s though.

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I own both the M50X and M40X and the 40s are definitely more flat than the 50s. I really just keep the 50s around for checking the low end while I'm mixing and to use as a spare set for tracking with other people. The 40s are just more neutral and pleasant to my ear, plus they sound more similar to my regular monitors than the 50s, so it takes less "adjustment" to switch between them.

13. Nik_Left_RG

Nik_Left_RG SS.org Regular

I have the DT990s and like them a lot. Highs are a bit accentuated but ear piercing. A little bit of EQ helps.. And they are very comfortable. Can wear them for hours..

14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

None of the Beyerdynamic DT series are anywhere even close to flat. They have very hyped high end and a dip in the mids. I don't think they work great for use with modelers without global EQ corrections. The Sennheiser HD6XX are reasonably flat but outside OP's budget.

No headphones are flat, except maybe some super expensive ones.

15. Bite the Strings

Bite the Strings SS.org Regular

What laxu said. The DT series is absolutely NOT flat. I own the 990s and have used the 770 and 880 quite a bit, they all have boosted high and low end.
    My suggestion for somewhat flat headphones at a reasonable price point would be the AKG 701. They have one of the least overhyped low ends i known and are very even and clear in the higher registers. Theyre extremely open though so they dont work in a noisy environment. But it also makes them really comfortable to wear!

16. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

AKG K240 mkii, they benefit a lot from a headphone amp though

0rimus and Masoo2 like this.
  17. ATRguitar91

I can agree with this in part. The 770s are fairly v shaped, but the 880s are pretty neutral with only a slight boost in the highs, especially when compared to a lot of other consumer stuff on the market. The 990s are the most v shaped of the bunch for sure.

I think the 770s are still the best closed in the price range, and for metal the extra sub bass is great. They're also great for gaming with their big soundstage. The biggest selling point of the DT headphones is the comfort though. I wear my 880s for hours a day at work and have never experienced any discomfort.

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

c7spheres likes this.
  19. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Sonarworks SoundID Reference is also a great tool for flattening frequency response using corrective IRs. Very easy to use. Obviously the caveat is that you can't export them and can't use them on anything but your DAW and computer. I suppose you could make IRs out of them but just using corrective EQ is easier on modelers.

The app made a big difference with my DT990 Pros but not all that much with the Sennheiser HD6XX. So I just use the Sennheisers for modelers. The DTs are more comfortable and have a better setup for cables.

20. JimboLodisC

JimboLodisC black Ibanez plz

You can mix with almost any set of headphones if you're familiar with them enough. Even if they have a glaring hole or spike at some frequency, if you know about it then you can address it.

Personally, I'd say to go with ATH-M50's and tune your ear to them. They're a great all around reference pair and listening pair. Then if you wanna grab 7506's or some Beyerdynamics in the future, you'll have a pretty nice stable of cans to choose from. For example, I like the sound of my 7506's but prefer them for recording vocals and not guitar.