Good by Powerball, hello Mesa!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Zer0, May 21, 2008.

1. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

It may be a cliche but having expensive, great sounding gear wont make you play any better, though it might make you want to play mor. If you are a accomplished musician the gear you use will augment your playing. I don't know how many times Ive heard people talk endlessly about their pro setup, blast decent gear, and then proceed to play gratingly poor quality music out of it. I'm not going to say that you can make a 30w spider III sound like a Top Hat, Fender Twin, 5150. But music comes first from the brain and hands, everything else makes that sound more how you envision it. So, sorry if I'm speaking in platitudes.

2. FortePenance

FortePenance SS.org Regular

Great sounding gear won't make you play any better, but it sure will make you sound better. :)

Someone needs to post up a couple Triple Rectifier settings in the Amp Settings thread. :D The new studio my band visists has a Triple Rec there and I couldn't get a good tone out of it and I don't have much tweaking time.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

forte, run the EQ all at 5. it'll sound fine. maybe bump the mids up to 6. should still sound fine.

zim, i agree that tone isnt all in the hands, and i think that once a musician (or guitarist) takes it upon himself to learn about his instrument, he finds out about the big influential things and the little influential things that alter his tone. this is good!

as for the shit guitars and shit amps deal.. you can make those sound decent. if you know what you're doing.

that said, if you are a beginner - dont spend the money on high end gear just yet, unless you know damn well for sure that you aren't quitting in the next 5 years (and even then, resale value on the gear means the hit wont be too big). the thing about beginner gear is, its just a tool to learn how to create the sound you hear in your head, but more importantly (IMHO) how to play guitar. some people start out on daddy's gibson LP custom, others start out on their beatup squier affinity strat :wavey:. its all just tools to learn how to create the music you want to create (or learn the music you want to play) and to get that sound in your head.

bottom line: a rectoverb is tempting, and i need to make an amp thread.

4. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I agree with everything you just said. However I'll just add, I'll always recommend good gear to anyone who has the means and is serious, even if they're relative newbies. The reason is, good tone is inspiring, and in my case made me want to practice even more. I think I owned a Dual Rectifier w/ Mesa 4x12 maybe one year into playing the guitar. Overkill? Yes, but it really helped my development big-time. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but certainly in my case I believe it was a good move.

When I started out I had a no-name RG copy and an awful Crate combo, and while it was good enough as a learning tool, the bad tone really was a buzzkill sometimes. I wanted tone closer to what I heard in my head, and the Mesa is what got me there, even if my skills at the time did not justify an amp like that. Luckily the amp was unforgiving so it helped my technique develop quicker. Back then I didn't know about tube screamers or Hot Plates either.

:2c:

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I will also recommend good gear :agreed: for the same reasons you listed.

when i started i had my squier and my peavey rage. the awesome thing is, i loved the sound i could get out of it! it was years before i learned that all those amps i saw in music videos or on stages were different then my little practise amp in a big way - tubes. i could have sworn i was nailing the early SOAD tone w/ my rig!

I'll recommend good gear that seems "out of budget" then drop the "BUY USED!" bomb so that they realize "hey, i can get a better rig for the same dosh i was gonna spend!"

so, who wants to buy budda a rectoverb. no one? ok. :(

6. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

:agreed:

May I recommend looking into one of the old Caliber/Dual Caliber combos? IMO they're every bit as good as the Rectoverb but go for much cheaper. I still can't believe I got mine for as cheap as I did.