Good by Powerball, hello Mesa!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Zer0, May 21, 2008.

1. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

At the very least both the Rectifier and Powerball seem to be at (or near) the apex of contention when discussing modern high gain amplifiers, most people seem to either love or hate either one of them. Some people need to be reminded that real tone comes from the hands, the amp is just a tool to optimize that tone.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Just for kicks, go to that "tutorial on recording heavy guitars" stickie in Recording, and read Slipperman's rebuttal to the "tone is in the hands" thing. I don't personally agree with him, but it's pretty damned funny and to a point pertinent here. :lol:

3. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

i have to agree with what drew says. The first time i played a dual rec without knowing how to dial it in, i wasn't too impressed. I just couldn't get to sound right. After reading all the advice from the experienced recto owners on this forum i managed to get a dual rec borrowed, and it just couldn't believe it was the same amp. I now love the sound and feel of rectos and am incredibly frustrated that they so overpriced here in europe :(

the other guitarist on my band has an old 2ch triple, and i liked it even more than the dual. I felt it was tighter and punchier somehow...

If only mesa would sell their amps at reasonable prices over here :mad:

4. noodles

noodles Contributor

I've noticed two major culprits in the "Recto fizz" equation. The first is tubes, and the second is 3ch Duals. The Ruby tubes Mesa ship with have an upper midrange focus that I just don't care for. I noticed that my Roadster had a bit of fizz that went away when I switched to JJ tubes. Three channel Duals just seem to exhibit this worse than any other Recto ever made, and it is why they are my least favorite amp in the line. You just can't seem to dial it all out.

Either way, like you said, the more you crank the amp, the less of it you hear.

5. FYP666

FYP666 Kick The Gates Open

Looks (and must sound too..!) damn good! :agreed:

6. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Congrats!
    I love my Rectoverb and now have become a diehard Mesa fanboy.:agreed:

7. tonymustang302

tonymustang302 SS.org Regular

All this talk about mesa's that dont sound good arent "dialed in" is flippen confusing. The main reason I didn't get the mesa is because i haven't heard one I liked. So what is the trick? I spent hour's over the month's sitting at guitar center trying to figure the damn amp out, until i just said screw it. :ugh: Went to Randall and have never been happier. I've gotten more thumb's up from metal head's with my Randall RM100 then any other that I used to own.

Used to get "randall, that thing is probably shitty" when rolling it in, then play it turning to "Holy F&*K did u hear that amp!!!!!":fawk:

8. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

eww, randall....

but there is really no trick to it, from what i've heard, you just gotta play around with it awhile and expirement, and if you get a different brand of tubes i heard you have to mess with it some more cuz it will change, all just heard though, so don't take my word for it, i'd rather not deal with the headache >.<

9. tonymustang302

Another Hater...:lol: Oh well, I had a 6505+ and hated every minute of it. The other guitarist in my band laughed when i rolled the new Randall in, then played it.... "Holy shit" next week he sold his 6505 and bought the Rm100 also.:shred::hbang:

10. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I've heard an SS randall sound really good before, once. i think its also the only time iv'e heard a randall live.

might have been the same amp. funny thing about amps is: amps, in general, sound just fine and/or really good. if it sounds really good, or great, then the guy using it probably a) knows how to play and b) knows his gear. if it sounds like ass.. buddy probably doesn't quite understand how to EQ, how his EQ reacts, guitar stuff - allll that fun signal chain stuff.

I've been a mesa fanboy since discovering that probably about half the bands that i listen to a lot and really enjoy use dual recs. I've spent some time with a dual rec halfstack, and didnt find it hard whatsoever to dial in a tone i would call useable - either i've actually learned how to dial in amps, or i got daamn lucky :lol:. i didnt get to really open up the power section (enough to have my aunt, who's hard of hearing, tell me she thought it was too loud) so i still dont know exactly what one can do if I'm using it. I hope to have a recto of some sort in the stable within 5-10 years.

and prada, its kinda clear that you're saying what you've read instead of what you know ;)

11. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

yeah, i did make it clear didn't i?

when someone asks about something that ive heard alot about, i tell them that ive heard this or that, but if i've expirienced it myself, i will leave it at that

i've heard lots of duel rectos in person, a couple of my friends have them, and ive heard alot about them from them, and from people online, so i let him know what i heard, and made it clear that it was what i heard so as not to mislead him into thinking that i've had extensive hands on expirience with it

and regarding the "Eww... randall..." that was a joke, in resoponce to what he said about no one liking them, i've heard good randall tube amps, but ive actually played randall SS amps, and didn't like them, but then again, i'm not much of a SS fan

i'm guessing your saying all this shit because i'm posting alot, and i am, but its purely out of boredom, i'm bored, so i post on here, but, like i said above, i either tell what i've expirienced, or let the person know that its something i've heard, i'm not quite sure what your problem is, and i'd rather get along with you because you seem like a very knowledgable person, and maybe i could learn something, which is another reason i like to post here, to learn more, for instance, i had no idea about LordOvChaos's mods, i wasn't even aware there were pedal mods, and now i plan on buying a couple of pedals from him this summer =/

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

dude i hear you, i generally do the same thing - disclaimer and all.

its not that i dont like you bud, just sayin that (like myself :lol:) you might not have experience with some of the stuff you're talkin about. and since i thought you did then read some more and went "hm, i think he'd be able to convey better if he had used it" i thought i would point it out.

no harm no foul bud. IMO its all good, just pointing 'er out. same thing happens to me man, we have our own club goin' hehe. i've played 2 mesa boogies, two marshalls, a lot of traynors, a few peavies.. and that's it.

i learn most of my amp knowledge off this site these days :lol:

13. Prada3353

Prada3353 Banned

yeah i see what your saying, your pretty cool dude, glad we get along :D

i do know quite a bit about repairs and such, i have a really good relationship with a guitar tech at a shop near me, he taught me guitar for years, and then keyboard, and i asked him if i could come and check out what he was doing in the workshop, he said yeah, and i spend spare saturdays there, it's good since i want to take some type of instrument repair class in college, just for my personal benefit

just giving you a little background on me :yesway:

14. tonymustang302

im not trying to start crap, it's just I get sooo much shit for my randall head that it's unbelievable. I don't have a lot of experience, but I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to tone and the sound. Plus the versatillity of this RM100 Head with the different modules I can throw in just appeals to me.

Like i said before I get a lot of shit for this amp, but then i play it, start chugging away with their heaviest module and wow people.

Prada, i was messing around too, no harm done.:cheers:

Budda, all your post's ive read, ure a cool guy.:cheers:

There is a reason that Kirk Hammet has a signature amp by Randall. (personally I think it's to follow in George Lynch's footsteps like he has been.)

This website is the holy grail for all things metal so im glad to be a part of it. Ditton on the Lordovchaos stuff, ican't wait til the Bloody Murder stuff ends up on my dorrstep (my calculations ishould be next in line).

and sorry for hi-jacking this thread. I run the Head through a Mesa 4x12 because I LOVE Mesa cabs:wub: and always wanted something "Mesa.":shred:

15. sepherus

sepherus The Crimson Comedian Contributor

I never found the rectifiers hard to dial, i treat them like every other amp, put every thing at 5 find suitable volume and tweak to tastes. I will own one some day if i dont decide to just save the extra 2gs and get a diezel instead.

As for the Randall talk: those amps are pretty sweet. The versatility of them is phenominal, even if they can'y be tweaked in as fine of detail. Its essentially an all tube Vetta. I haven't been able to play too many modules but the ones I have were definately more than just usable. I really like some of thier SS stuff too, but thats hit an miss.

As for tone being subjective and people who know thier gear and know how to play: One of my favorite old metalcore bands (Undying from before the huge influx of myspace bands) used to use Crate GX130s and I think stock RGs of some sort and they sounded amazing! later on in thier career they got better cabs and upgraded the pickups but the sound didn't change dramatically. I also saw a death metal band (Know Fear) where the guitarist was using Fender combos. I asked him why, and thats what gave him HIS sound. He'd been down the Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, etc route and it just didn't fit. He was just as intense/heavy/etc and his sound worked well for what they did. They knew thier stuff, they knew how to dial in what they had, and the made it work, and it worked WELL. Just goes to show, if you know what you are doing, you can make it work with ALMOST anything. That being said, I would never use a champ for brutal low tuned Nile-esque death. :shred:

16. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

is that a VH-150 under the recto? those are sweet amps...you should try turning the gain to like 3 and throwing an OD in front....it's ridiculously awesome :yesway:

17. Zer0

Zer0 That Guy

Its actually a SS150 but close enough man :yesway:
    I actually split the signal and boost both of them, SS150 for lows and higher highs and Dual Rec for mids and lower highs. Pretty crushing to my ears. I love the SS150, its the only solid state amp Ive ever thought was truly good sounding (though the VH140 is close too).

On the topic of the Randall RM100, we had one at the store I work at awhile ago. It had a couple of Lynch mods in it and a Tweed mod; the Tweed was nice and warm with a fat gain sound, the other two were really cold and stiff sounding. So the sound was 1/3 good at least. I think its probably a promising amp if you were to have the right modules in it.

18. WarriorOfMetal

WarriorOfMetal The Dragonrider Contributor

i had a VH-150 for a couple years, very cool amp. i like it better than the Powerball and a lot of other high-gainers i've played. i traded that + cash for a VHT Deliverance, though.

19. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

With all due respect, that's the most ridiculous cliche ever. Playing my head through a Crate 4x12 completely disproved that theory. Tone comes from a lot of things, 'the hands' is a large factor, but it's just one of many.

Agreed with this and Drew's comments. If you know what you're doing, know the right tubes/settings/speakers/bias/pickups/etc to use and are able to crank the amp - then just about any Mesa (or any high-end tube head really) will sound excellent. Then it just comes down to personal taste such as mid-range character, response (how it plays), etc.

20. manicsix

manicsix SS.org Regular

Agreed. A tone you like will make you want to play more, and thus you will become a better player for putting in the extra time.

Shit amps and guitars IMO reduce your playing. So while tone may be in the hands, if your guitar or amp are the weakest link, your tone will suffer.