GOOD AMP FOR CHEAP

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by corey101, Aug 18, 2007.

1. corey101

corey101 New Member

so ive been looking for a bass amp for a while and ive set my eyes on hartke ha3500 head with preamp tube in it which is 350 watts in 4 ohms. i wanna know some feed back. i mean i have 1400 for a bass amp and i dont want a combo i want a head and a cab(4x10). im just really not sure what i need. i play in drop c aswell as in standard tuning. i have a 5 string specter bass with emg pick ups. i want something that has great bottom but still has a metalic sound to it. please someone help me find something good with a reasonable price.

2. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

As far as speakers go I would try and get a 4x10 AND a 1x15 on bottom. For bass amps I like ampeg and Galien Kruger :agreed:

3. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

With the money and requirements you're looking for, you should really check out a Gallien-Krueger RB1001-II & a bi-ampable Gallien-Krueger 4x10 cab. I use this setup and it's never let me down. My Spectors & Fenders sound great through it.

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I don't know if anyone will agree or not but when I used to play bass in my band (last year) I used a Behringer BX4500H with a Sansamp Bass Driver and it sounded as good as any other ss rig I've had. Even more, they can be had for a song on e-bay. It never conked out (band practice 2 times a week, 3 hrs or so at a time) and sounded great. Granted, it's probably not quite as good as an Ampeg SVT350, Galien Krueger or Peavey (although it's pretty close), it's about 1/3rd as much.

USED BEHRINGER ULTRABASS BX4500H BASS AMP HEAD - (eBay item 110161147597 end time Aug-25-07 20:28:01 PDT)

$165 for a 450 watt amp ain't too shabby. :agreed:

5. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

1 vote for the behringer.

6. rummy

rummy maybe this year Contributor

For $1400? You're not looking for a cheap amp.

You can go million different ways. What type of music do you play, and how loud are your drummer/guitarists?

GK is always a good option. You can't go wrong with the 700, 800 or the 1001 RBs. They can give you plenty versatility, and good rock tone. You may want to look for a pedal depending on the sound you're after.

Mark Bass is another excellent brand. I picked up a Little Mark II for $600 over the weekend. IMHO, it is the best clean bass amp there is. And you get 500 clean watts at 4 ohms.

If you can swing it, or if you're planning on spending a little on a smaller cab, look into Thunderfunks. Simply, Godly. $1000+, however.
    Thunderfunk, Inc. index

Unlike some others, I'm going to advice against Behringer. They're quality has been going down each year, and they're the best example of "you get what you pay for." At least, that's how I feel about their bass products.

7. corey101

corey101 New Member

thanks i ended up buying a swr working man pro 400 version with a 4*10 cab but thanks for the input

8. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Great choice! SWR makes some kick-ass amps and cabs.