Good, Affordable Non-iPod MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by All_¥our_Bass, Nov 26, 2014.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Well, the title says it all really. I need a new mp3 player and want to add one to my Christmas wish list.

2. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

The Android Sony's are pretty cool. I Like mine. If you can splurge you can get the $600 titanium one lol.

3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

This subject came up a lot recently in light of Apple's announcement to discontinue the classic.

Reddit

Consensus for affordable seems to be the Sansa Clip+.

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

I actually had one of the older sansa clips and loved it, but I recently tried a new one and found out they changed the computer-to-device protocol from USB to this new 'Media Transfer Protocol' that my computer doesn't support and it seems I can't find any way to get it to work with my laptop.

My computer simply has no idea what it is, and none of the drivers I've found online that are supposed to fix this don't seem to do anything. Which is a shame since I'm pretty much in the same boat as the one who made the Reddit thread. I don't like iPods, not because I'm anti-Apple, but I don't like the scroll wheels (I like buttons MUCH better) don't want/need apps or a touchscreen. Don't get me wrong, the iPod is a great product, but it just doesn't jive with me.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Sansa Clip + 64gb+ SD card.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I asked this same thing back when I was in search of something that could compete with a 160gig ipod classic. There's nothing. You can get some stuff with half that storage, maybe. I feel it's pretty ridiculous that there's absolutely no good mp3 player, not even one, for audiophiles who keep large libraries of high bitrate music.

I guess it's because everything is going to go streaming. But I say .... that! We should at least have an option!

7. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

Cant you just use your phone, and put an extra storage card on it? Unless you have an iphone. Samsung makes a pretty nice mp3 player. Very similar to the ipod touch. Definitely worth looking into.

8. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I used the Sansa Fuze for a long time, and now use the Sansa Clip Plus and a 64GB microSD card.

Ogg Vorbis sounds better than MP3 for the same file size, incidentally, and the Clip Plus plays OV gaplessly. I do use some MP3s on it though.

I also found out that I don't listen to more than 64GB normally, so i just load the card with the regular stuff along with a few new items. The main memory of the Clip holds a few Pimsleur language courses for review and new learning.

I've never use the Sandisk media software, instead using the other mode to just drag-and-drop.

For the $50 total I spent on my initial Clip Plus and 64GB card, I'm very pleased.