Good 7 string pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Sixx_String_Sting, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Sixx_String_Sting

Sixx_String_Sting SS.org Regular

So, I'm looking for a super tight pickup set for my 7 string. I play mostly MIW and Korn, so I'm usually in drop A if that helps. I prefer to stick to passive pickups for the sake of simplicity and price. I like a really tight bass response as well as something I can get good pinch harmonics off of.

2. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Korn uses pafs i believe and MiW (motionless in white?) they use emgs from what i remember, its been a long time.

id recommend the d activator as i hear its close to an “active” pickup in passive. Maybe a warpig by bkp?

Edit: this is also in the wrong thread section. You should go to the pickup section and ask this question. Modz will probably move it idk

3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

What guitar are you using?

4. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

maybe a dimarzio evolution 7 and PAF in the neck ? The original evolution had a super tight bass response, I hated it so I never tried the 7 string but if the 7 is like the 6, it will be tight, bright, and pretty aggressive.

the nazgul is pretty tight to me, maybe you'd like the invader too .

5. TimSE

TimSE Tone Chasr Contributor

Bareknuckle Pickups are worth every penny. I use them exclusively these days. Tight low end with nice headroom and clarity.

6. Sixx_String_Sting

Schecter Demon 7

7. Sixx_String_Sting

I tried the 2 EMG 707s but they literally did not work. they buzzed like wasps. Though I'm thinking of the nazgul/sentient set as well. I would have tried blackouts, bur after all of the crap with EMG i never wanna deal with another active pup lol

8. Sixx_String_Sting

How would black winters compare to these?

9. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

What do you mean buzzed like wasps? Actives generally have less noise than passives of similar output. From what little information you’ve provided, it sounds like you need to sort out the rest of your signal chain first. Is your power grounded? Are you running any sort of noise suppression? To put passives in your guitar, you’re going to need to drill and run a ground wire to the bridge and completely redo the wiring/pots. Not to mention buying soap bar sized pickups.

10. Sixx_String_Sting

I tried pretty much everything i could with the help of the support staff over at emg. I have them still lying around, but I'm not sure whether to sell them or just wait and see. I was using the quick connectors and that little hub where it's like a plug and play kinda deal. It wasn't hard to set up and i hooked everything up right.. I'm not sure if they're defective, but I will see. I just have a ground issue that can't seem to be resolved.

11. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Korn now days use Fishman moderns in their guitars though they had PAfs for most of the albums. I would say the bare knuckle juggernauts or bare knuckle ragnaroks would be the top choices for passive pick ups IMO. Seymour Duncan Alpha Omega 7 string set is also really nice sounding as well.

12. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

all these people shilling BKPs and fishmans, OP clearly stated cost is a factor

try some generic dimarzios or duncans before more expensive stuff, they are not better or worse its all subjective

Merrekof likes this.
  13. Sixx_String_Sting

I got 707's but they were duds so I'm back to the drawing board, and I really like the pegasus, nazgul and titan. But is there any good 7 string pickup that I'm missing?

14. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

While I'm very happy with the BKPs I have/had, there are plenty of cheaper options around.

Seymour Duncan has their SH-2, 4, 6 models in 7 strings as well. Still not cheap but well below BKP and Fishmans. Those are great imo.

15. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Any time someone tells me a pickup (that is not universally recognized to be terrible) sounds like wasps, I think they just need to use the gain, presence, and treble controls on their amp.

That said, tight usually means a controlled amount of bass. There are a ton of good options in that regard. I would personally vouch for the DiMarzio Illuminator set as being very tight even on the low B. The EQ profile is pretty even, and a tad on the bright side (although not very harsh). So many good options out there, but trying to go for the less expensive side as DiMarzios are a good combination of very well made and not expensive compared to competitors.

16. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

dactivator - tight djent machine
    evo 7 - tight punchy great leads and rhythm
    petrucci models - solid, heavy, well balanced

The Monster With . likes this.