Gojira

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Apr 7, 2015.

1. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

A) She has some fun songs.
    B) I think you'll be able to make your way to the stage in between sets. People go out for smokes, get beer, or go to take a piss, it's not like people pitch tents in front of the stage and refuse to move.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  2. brector

brector SS.org Regular

I sold my ATL ticket so I could see them headline in Chattanooga

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I thought you guys were saying a new band was called "Poopy," as I was just skimming over the messages referring to that. Instead, its some "totally weird girl who looks normal" in a "metal" act, because, I guess, its semi "original." Isn't there an Into the Dark episode about this chick and her manager?

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Yngwie is very talented, but needs a life coach. And a beast level producer he can't fire and who WON'T let him sing lead vocals. He has some of the best tone ever and has composed some brilliant things over the years. I've often thought how cool it would've been if he hadn't been caught in a rut for 25 years and had really developed a good band/singer for at least 10 years.....I question his mental health at this point. :erk:

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

He must be doing something right. He came over here a nobody from Sweden, with a hope and a dream, as well as Mike Varney's help, and made a name for himself. He doesn't do things how we want, because it's not our life or career. I enjoy hearing what he has to offer, even if I think things could / would be better with some of his past band members.

6. hilljack13

hilljack13 SS.org Regular

Looking for a KoRn/Gojira tour. Fucking awesome!

7. Wc707

Wc707 SS.org Regular

Not OC but hahahahah FB_IMG_1623293457300.jpg

8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

If you want to talk about dreadful production of modern stuff, look at the re-recorded Clayman songs In Flames did

Literally worse than demos I did with Fruity Loop drum samples and the original POD decades ago

9. brector

brector SS.org Regular

10. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Clayman was a 5150 though?

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Nah, he's talking about the re-recordings they did for the 20th anniversary. They gutted the production so hard. Vocals, drums, bass, and especially the guitars sound sooo wussed out.

The massive 5150 + HM2 guitar mix was replaced by a shitty Kemper profile. And Ander's crappy clean vocals were made even worse. :lol: He somehow makes Burt C Bell seem decent.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  12. Ataraxia2320

Nevermind, I was super sleepy last night and picked it up totally wrong. The new versions suck all kinds of ass.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I'm actually glad they did that. Concrete proof that In Flames can't even do their own style of music right anymore. :lol:

14. Ataraxia2320

I'll defend sounds of a playground fading until my dying breath. Lead single was not great but there are riffs for days on there.

15. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Sounds of a playground fading gets a solid 8.5 out of 10 from me, even the three following albums each had a handful of GREAT alt-metal songs. That said, the clayman re-do is pretty indefensible, conora probably prevented a clayman anniversary tour from happening and I'm glad for it.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  16. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Every time In Flames is brought up it just makes me so sad, man. They used to be so good. When Jesper left they needed to reform under a new moniker because for all intents and purposes, they are a completely different band now without him. He was also the founder and last original member. At this point it just feels like such a mockery and I just can't respect it.

17. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

In Flames has like 3 different eras of music and it seems they’ve certainly done their best to move further away from the first group as time has gone on.

I didn’t hear them until I heard “Cloud Connected” and I love that song. I got Soundtrack To Your Escape a while after that and loved that album, it was a mainstay for a year straight. After that, though, bleh.

So there’s the original fans who preferred their older material, the guys like me who jumped in during the middle period where they started focusing on catchy music and then the newer era of fans with their watered down version of what was already considered watered down.

That said, it seems that each year/album goes by, they pick up a shitload more fans. Not sure if it’s that Breaking Benjamin group they’re attracting or not, but I’d assume as much and would also assume that’s the exact area they’re focusing on. While I can’t stand Breaking Benjamin either, (“Polyamorous” is cool) I think their shit is generally heavier than In Flames has been as of late.

Crungy likes this.
  18. MFB

MFB Banned

Same here, probably on Music Choice Metal if I had to guess?

Reroute to Remain was my first album from them, and I didn't get why people hated on it, until you go back and listen to what they sounded like 4 albums earlier and its radically different. Lucky for me, I was smart enough to accept that they had two different sounds at the time, and I loved both so it wasn't any sort of loss. They continued to put out dope releases up through and including Sounds of a Playground, but then I had my shift were suddenly their next album was like, "what the fuck is this?" and knew it was over.

Crungy likes this.
  19. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I didn't really get into them until that era either, and even then, I like that stuff. It still had some semblance of being metal and not trying their little hearts out to breakthrough to the mainstream. If they went back to the Come Clarity, Reroute, or Soundtrack sound I think a lot of people would be pretty happy. They won't though, which is fine, but they really do seem like such a husk of their former selves. More so than any other band that I can think of right off hand.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  20. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I got a cd pressing of Lunar Strain and Subterranean combined when I was really young, one of the first cds I bought myself. I listened to that so much and really liked it. It had a bit of a dark atmosphere even though the melodies were catchy, and I liked the folky acoustic interludes and occasional thrashiness like in Upon an Oaken Throne, which was one of my favorite songs.

Then I got The Jester Race and could never get into it. The atmosphere and the rawness wasn't there anymore, the melodies were boring and I didn't like the vocals. Everything I liked about In Flames seemed to be gone.

Now I come across a newer In Flames song every now and then and it's kinda hard to believe that it's the same band I grew up listening to. They really changed.

works0fheart likes this.