Gojira

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I'm listening to War to End All Wars right now, and I'd LOVE to ask Yngwie Malmsteen what he was thinking. The production, mix, etc. sounds HORRIBLE! And it's not like, "Well, Yng took over production and mixing duties as a cost cutting measure to save a few bucks." No, he's been producing his records since Rising Force. So why are his guitars so muddy and fuzzy? Why is the entire album poorly mixed and produced like a demo?

Seriously, if Yngwie has the ability to do so, he needs to unfuck War (as well as the two follow ups), because it could possibly be a really great album. Instead, it sounds like absolute dog shit. It isn't just a case of, "Well, Yng's ears are toast from the Great Wall of Swedish Doom! behind him..." Attack!! sounds markedly better, but still comes across as if he produced it well, played it on a cassette tape deck, and recorded that, then released it. Unleash the Fury has his rhythm guitars buried (uh...?) under Tim's vocals. Perpetual Flame, finally, sounds great again. Why it took him three albums to get him back to where he started is beyond me.

In other words, get outta my face with this "that new Goji' got some bad prods, innit mates?" nonsense.

EDIT: Searching the Metal Archives reviews for this album for certain keywords (ie, production), has found this interesting paragraph from one of the users.

"I have no doubt in my mind that what was done here was 100% intentional, as you don’t put out 10 extremely well produced studio albums and then suddenly forget how it’s done. My working hypothesis is that Yngwie was trying to model the production on this album after a Jimi Hendrix album, as the overwhelming level of guitar sound over other instruments was also a signature of his original guitar hero. However, one will note that although Jimi’s work as a pioneer guitarist are beyond question, much of his original studio material has not aged particularly well with the advent of better recording technology. Furthermore, as Yngwie obviously had access to far superior recording gear at this point in his career, this album can not be judged by the same standard as a Hendrix album."

I kind of see what he is thinking here. However, if that is the case, then Yngwie either did a half assed job and failed, or doesn't think too highly of Jimi's production. I realize that Jimi's studio albums are rough around the edges, but it was very early days of the mono to stereo transitioning period if my memory serves. That is acceptable for Jimi, given that context. 30 years or so later, Yngwie doesn't get that context to excuse it. Had it been done a bit more tastefully in that regard, War... would still work.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Marked Man, Wildebeest and ArtDecade like this.
  2. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I think Metallica like dry productions. I think they weren't happy with the reverb on rtl and mop, and now they do it the opposite way. Pretty weird. I can't listen to their new stuff. I'd rather listen to St. Anger.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  3. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Speaking of shit productions, Blind Guardian is an extremely sad example. After the amazing Imaginations From the Other Side, and Nightfall in Middle-Earth, the band started working with Charlie fucking Bauerfeind, who takes this amazing multi-layered complex music and produces it like 2000s nu metal (aka everything is smashed to shit). The guitar and drum tones always suck too. What a waste :noplease:

4. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Surprised you guys are so down on the production. I kind of like it.

TedEH and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I do agree the vocals and drums do seem a bit too low, but that's it really. It doesn't sound muddy or unclear like some truly abysmal productions.

mongey and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Also is it weird for me to say for as bad as album is, I really dig Lulu's production?

7. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

All I see is this :ugh::ugh::ugh:

mastapimp and MetalheadMC like this.
  8. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

It's not like Imaginations and Nightfall sounded good though...

Somewhere Far Beyond was peak Blind Guardian production.

9. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima Weeee!

The production is really good, great even, for a rock band. It doesn't sound like a modern metal or a gojira production that we are used to hearing. Gojira has had really aggressive and energetic mixes. FMTS, TWOAF, L'enfant Savauge, all high energy and super aggressive sounding. The new one just sounds soft in comparison. It sounds great, but it sounds more like it belongs on a rock and roll record.

BlackMastodon and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Ageeed. To be honest I think a super
    Modern, super punchy metal mix really wouldn’t suit the songs.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

It’s starting to grow on me. I listened again on the way to work this morning and I had that connection with a few sections that makes me anxious to get back in my truck and hear them again.

I’m definitely not hearing the same production complaints everyone else is. I use my truck as my measurement of a decent mix because I’m so used to it and I really enjoy the way it sounds and this album sounds fucking GREAT in it. I love being able to turn it up and the volume actually increases!

I was listening to a MetalSucks podcast with Joe on it and he went into detail about the production on the album and how it was entirely intentional to get a more raw, stripped back approach. They wanted to get the sounds in the room and run with it and put in a good amount of work on the construction of the live room to get everything sounding how it did.

I’m a fan of big, slick productions, I prefer them. But I love that they did this. Shit, the vocals are still slick as hell, layered with tons of reverb and delay. That satisfies that itch for me.

12. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

Yep pretty much this.

Need to spin it a lot more but seems like a decent album, minus the Chant, and the mix sounds just fine to me. I like the raw aesthetic and think more bands ought to try it out so as not to exhaust the already exhausted squeeky-clean prestine type of mix.

RevDrucifer likes this.
  13. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Great vinyl master too.

Heard lots of modern metal productions that completely suck on vinyl ... Lamb of God and Karnivool come to mind .. but not this one. So I've got my plain black vinyl, lookin forward to completing my set of gold Gojira records whenever they finally get around to issuing that

RevDrucifer likes this.
  14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

It has def grown on me. Not what I’ll put on if I feel like something heavy. But it has its place. The chant has even grown on me somewhat. The only thing I really cringe at is the mouth harp. Terrible idea.

dbrozz likes this.
  15. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

TBH, I'm a little disappointed they don't have a live jaw harp player.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  16. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Midget

Does anyone else get mad rammstein vibes from the main riff in New Found? :rofl:

I play music likes this.
  17. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Another reaason why Gojira is becoming more and more like Metallica: The guitar player likes to step on his effect pedal tooo much
    The original riff by Rammstein without whammy is just better

18. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

They’re going to be touring with Deftones. Ticket purchased.

cardinal likes this.
  19. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I've got a ticket for that when they come by later this year. Would love to see Gojira (not really a Deftones fan; saw them open for AiC years back).

But going to a concert is going to be weird. And I'd like to get there early to get close to the stage, but that means I'll have to listen to Poppy perform...

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

You made me google Poppy. So now it’s official. I hate you.

cardinal likes this.