Gojira

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Apr 7, 2015.

1. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I love the mix a hell of a lot more than the songs. Andy Wallace mixed this, everything sounds natural and not the result of plug-ins and drum samples. The drums sound fucking incredible on this album! You guys have been listening to too much Toontrack.:lol:

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  2. SexHaver420

SexHaver420 Oops I'm a girl.

Fortitude sucks lol. Gojira peaked at the Link imo and each album after that has been worse than the previous. They're really good live though so if shows are ever a thing again I'll still go see them.

Veldar and AngstRiddenDreams like this.
  3. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I gotta find out what systems you guys are listening to this through? In my car, headphones, monitors, the guitar and vocals get buried by drums and bass any time it gets heavy and the bass has that rubbery “R-Bass on max” thing in the sub/low end.

4. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

More bands need to do this.

Taylor Swift singing a ballad to the Dailai Lama next, please?

5. MFB

MFB Banned

LOL @ peaking at their 2nd album, I don't think people even acknowledged them until FMTS dropped. But after that and continuing through L'Enfant will always be considered the peak of Gojira, I'd say Way of All Flesh personally, them finding the middle ground between an all out sonic assault on your ears and then honing that intensity into more traditional song structures.

6. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Sounds great on my beyerdynamic 1990s, Sennheiser Momentum on ears (with sonarworks on and off) and my cheap monitors in my treated room.

It's not ultra polished but it still sounds great. In the modern context of overproduction it's a breath of fresh air for me.

7. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

I didnt even know gojira existed until I heard yamas messengers on pandora in like 2011. One of my favorite songs. I'd agree they peaked at way of all flesh and they have been going down since

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I like the album a lot, and a streamer I watch got me into the band. I saw them in a few magazines over the years, and figured they were going to be -core or nu metal, so I never bothered. Also, the production sounds killer.

9. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I listened through once and only had a couple of tracks really stand out. I’ll have to listen again, but it wasn’t a very memorable album.

10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

All I can hear is drums. Guitars are buried. Vocals almost non-existent. Even the bass isn't really that punchy, which is a shame because it's fucking Gojira

BlackMastodon and slan like this.
  11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

It's the snare drum that's getting me. I wish it had just a little bit more snap.

The mix is inconsistent from system to system I find. Sounds really nicely balanced on my electrostats, phones and Dynaudio monitors but the vocals are almost inaudible in my truck

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  12. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

A lot of strong reactions in this thread.

Honestly, it sounds like a logical extension of Magma to me. Which I get may not be what people want, but it’s hardly a huge left turn from where they were. I found it a solid listen overall, some strong tracks amongst stuff I could probably do without. 7.5/10 type thing.

I’m not the biggest Gojira fan though. Don’t get me wrong, I like them, I enjoy them, but they’re not top 5 for me or anything.

The middle trio of From Mars to Sirius, The Way of All Flesh and Le Enfant Sauvage though are very good.

13. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

I think the tones are great, I just feel like the levels are wonky.

I noticed the same thing! The mix sounds very well balanced in my monitoring headphones but sounds weird as hell in my car. I can't think of many other albums I've experienced that with.

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  14. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

The drums sound like a Rick Rubin production (Like Vol 3., almost mono. No bass extension. Mid heavy). Overall it seems super compressed but balanced to me. Nothing is too forward that it dominates, it's just mid heavy and compressed. The Link and TWOAF are their best mixes IMO. Music isn't my thing either on this one.

15. Spaced Out Ace

Mono drums would be something they got from Bob Ezrin, and he probably got it from Jack Douglas.

16. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Listening more they aren't mono, there just seems to be less width in the cymbals. The toms are clearly panned. I'm sure it would sound better through a bluetooth speaker and not boomy or too bright in a car. The guitar tone is different too, but their old tones wouldn't fit this material. For some reason this album reminds me of Baroness' transition period into Yellow & Green.

slan likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Yeah, I didn't think the drums were mono, but either way, I think the album sounds good on my speakers. I really enjoy the album.

18. Dwellingers

Dwellingers SS.org Regular

I def dont hear there are issues with the bass. Its prominent and punchy as hell. Vocals might be a bit low in the mix, but to me it sounds like the normal way to mix a Gojira records.
    Composition-wise im not sold yet - but its definetly solid crafted - better than magma for me!

RevDrucifer likes this.
  19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I like the mix, but I haven't listened to it on anything other than my Superlux HD-681 headphones. I'm not generally very picky about mixes though, unless something sticks out in a really annoying way. Also I'm positively surprised about the actual songs - except I'm gonna have to make a playlist of it that skips The Chant :lol:

Seabeast2000 and Ataraxia2320 like this.
  20. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I've a feeling it has a lot to do with the crowd here being composed of guitarists/musicians. I read a couple of reviews of the new album and they are generally positive, but I've a sense that the reviewers listen differently to it, meaning they might not really listen to the chord progressions, patterns, etc. I don't really like the album, because it's ful of the tired and true Gojira riffs based around minor 1st-2nd-3rd riffs and all the half note 0-1-0-0-1-1 riffs, you see? Then there's the half time chorus on almost every song and sigh... They all did it before and probably better. What also counts is that I think it really sounds toned down compared to the older stuff, without it sounding very different (with the exception of the Chant, but ewww that song is poo poo). I think I would've enjoyed a different direction more than the toning down. That said, there is good to be found on the record, but since I normally play entire records, I don't really think that I'm going to bother with it.

Supernaut and Razerjack like this.