Gojira

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Apr 7, 2015.

1. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

The instrumental version of the new album is actually pretty good. Obviously, it's not old school DT with their awesome prog rock/metal combo, but it's pretty high quality prog metal still.

I think a lot of it is due to the band itself also being a business. You have to churn out new albums, tour, etc., all under the same name, for years and years. I'm super curious to see what the future brings us because of all the new technology (well, old, but rather it's the quality and the availability of it) - high speed internet, audio and video streaming, DAWs, virtual instruments, modeling, and so on. You're no longer limited in the same way that older bands were. On the flip side there's also a massive influx of mediocre home recordings, but that's a necessary consequence. Probably the main problem is the lack of good sorting. Back in the day you had magazines, labels, tours, but nowadays I guess it's down to YouTube vids or something? The problem is that all these social media sites are like crappy graphitti walls, there's no sensible sorting or any kind of real depth to them. Old school forums like this one are more advanced than, say, reddit, which is hilarious, given that it's 2021 now.

2. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

This is why when people ask what my favorite bands are, I say I don't have favorite bands, but favorite albums from different bands at certain points in their career.

Now if we're talking favorite bands that are currently releasing albums...that I can answer.

I play music and Matt08642 like this.
  3. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

So heavy blues biker rock album is next. Can't wait to buy my Gojira skull cap.

4. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

how many albums like Fortitude does Gojira have to drop before the record stores put em in the rock section and not metal anymore?

people wanting old Gojira are gonna be so pissed :lol:

Mastercook006 likes this.
  5. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Well, I guess Gojira is a sort of a rock/metal band now? I liked Magma, that's definitely as far as they should've went. I just skimmed through the unreleased (as singles, that is) songs, and yeah, it's about what I expected. It's not bad music by any means, but they're just rehashing the same old bag of tricks, and toning the sound down even further. What a shame. Imagine if they were still heavy af, but introduced more complexity and prog elements into their songwriting.

I'm guessing two more, and they'll be opening for Nickelback :lol::lol::lol:

6. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

I listened to a bit of each of the songs from this album and yikes is all I have to say.

7. WiseSplinter

WiseSplinter SS.org Regular

"New Found" was alright. Not top tier Gojira but better than the other tracks released from the new album so far IMO.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Born for one thing, Amazonia, Another world were all fine and they flow together pretty nicely on the album. Grind, Hold On, New Found, Sphinx are all very solid heavy tracks. At least as heavy as stuff off of Magma. Grind, Sphinx and New Found are the standouts on the album imo.

Honestly barring The chant and Fortitude (which are godawful imo) the album is solid overall. They do serve as good palate cleanser tracks for the second half of heavy songs but I really dislike them, and feel like they're basically filler. Trails is meh too.

sirbuh and Apex1rg7x like this.
  9. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Agreed. The Chant is easily the worst thing Gojira have done. Even Fortitude (the song) would've been OK by itself, as a little interlude, but when you know it goes into The Chant you just want to skip them both.

But I'm pleased to say that the rest of the album is solid. Yeah I guess Trails is a bit boring, but at least it has a nice atmosphere going and I guess it's a good idea to put a "calm before the storm" before Grind explodes in your face. And at least it's not shitty like The Chant...

sirbuh and KnightBrolaire like this.
  10. MFB

MFB Banned

I just got to "Sphinx" and agree with what everyone else has said, the first 5 tracks flow well together, then you have Fortitude/The Chant as what should have just been one track as an interlude, and then it's back to heavy for now.

This is definitely in line with Magma, but if anyone was expecting it to be heavier and closer to L'Enfant, they're going to be disappointed

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  11. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Best tracks for me after my first listen: Amazonia, Born for one thing, Into the Storm, the Trails and grind in that order.

Worst tracks: Fortitude and the Chant. They really bog down the album. Both are absolutely woeful.

I think anyone looking for ultra brutal Gojira is going to be very disappointed.

12. chinnybob

chinnybob SS.org Regular

Pretty weak overall but there's enough here to make me like it a bit more than Magma on first listen, although that's not saying much! Sphinx definitely my favourite, got some great FMTS vibes off that with the main riff and the deeper growls. Certainly after listening to the whole thing through that was the only song that I really wanted to go back to and listen to again

13. cyb

cyb Tune Low Play Slow

Overall, I'm disappointed. There are some good songs for sure, Sphinx being my favorite, but my biggest disappointment is the production. It just sounds..."weak" for lack of a better term.

Cyanide_Anima and BlackMastodon like this.
  14. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

So I gave a full listen. Sphinx is alright. Not great. Disappointing even although my expectations were already incredibly low. Why are the vocals and guitars so quiet through the whole thing?

Flappydoodle likes this.
  15. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

yeah the mix is the only part of the album I don't really like. I do like bringin up the guitars & bass and pushing the vocals down a little bit. I find some parts of the drum sound are kinda weak, almost amateurish but suppose the band has said several times they didn't like the super clean and polished productions from TWOAF and Sauvage so this is what they're gonna do instead

I like the whole album, even Fortitude/the Chant. they've always had weird little interludes like that on their albums before so it was neat to hear em open it up to be a full song

slan and guitar_player4_2_0 like this.
  16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Gojira officially cancelled in CHina

sirbuh and slan like this.
  17. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

I'm with you on this. I like the record more than I thought I would. The singles felt underwhelming on first listen but I think they work well in the context of the album.

18. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Not as bad as originally anticipated. The Chant may have skewed my expectations too harshly. I thought the other singles were pretty decent, but The Chant is just so, so terrible.

Hold On and New Found are decent. Spinx and Grind are the most "classically Gojira" tracks. Overall my first impression is about the same as Magma, some pretty good songs with about half the album being bland "filler." Probably will listen to it a decent amount over the next few weeks and then forget about it (just like Magma).

Still really love this band, the run they had with From Mars to Sirius, The Way of All Flesh and L'Enfant Sauvage will always be hard to top for any band from any era.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  19. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

Much better then magma!

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I almost deleted the album yesterday based on the singles. Now it’s all up I’ll give it all. listen in the gym today. But I’m highly skeptical