Gojira

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Apr 7, 2015.

1. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

It's definitely the same vibe as Shooting Star. The verses are almost identical in cadence.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  2. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Any hope I had of liking this album is gone after this. That was awful

3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I kinda dug the new one but they dragged it out too long. Woulda made for a decent 3:30. Over 5 though? Nah

Album's all over the place. Loving it. If only other metal bands were even 1/10th this risky.. that'd be something. But they'd rather just play the same shit for their whole careers

4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Nope, did not like the new one. It could've been somewhat ok, but the chord progression had one "wrong" chord that made it sound happy instead of melancholic, and that was the final nail in the coffin for me. It was also very dragged out, I wish it had at least grown heavier towards the end, but nope, same woo-o-oow thing all the way through.

I also appreciate that the album is all over the place though, and I guess this song might serve some kind of purpose if placed just right on the album...

Rev2010 likes this.
  5. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

While the previous singles were a 'meh' for me, the last one I would classify as grade A horse shit. I actually feel bad shitting on metal bands that try something different, because I'm normally very open when it comes to music, but this just sounds like a pseudo pop-rock version of the.... Beatles. Yeah. Come on, it's 2021...

I play music and Rev2010 like this.
  6. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

Was hoping something more in the vein of FMTS when I heard Born for One Thing and got more disappointed after each new single I heard. But "The Chant" is something that gives me the feeling that I should just stop waiting for this band to deliver altogether. What an awful song.

Rev2010 and BlackMastodon like this.
  7. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Well this latest single was very disappointing. Bored me to tears.

Rev2010 likes this.
  8. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

The Chant is not good. I had to turn it off. Felt like a bar band got their bullshit riffs and melodies recorded and mixed really well. WTF is happening to this band? Why do so many of the greats just write all their good shit early to mid career then just write burn out rock songs? At least we all have the other records to listen to.

Rev2010 and Flappydoodle like this.
  9. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Same here. Absolutely hated it!

10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That sucked

And again, production is awful. Guitars are muffled. Vocal buried.

11. cyb

cyb Tune Low Play Slow

Count me among the disappointed. I'm not really hyped for this album at all anymore, but I'll give it a chance.

12. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I tried to listen to it again and could barely make it to the first chorus. So bummed about the direction of them :(

13. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I can't think of many musicians/bands that are still writing fresh material I like for the same reasons after 20+ years together. Most of the bands I would have considered myself a diehard fan of I barely even listen to anymore, like Dream Theater.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Oh well, I just hope that song will be the exception on the album. I like Born For One Thing a lot and the other two are somewhat decent as well, so it's still only 1/4 on the shit-scale.

15. MFB

MFB Banned

Of the songs we've heard, from both the new album and their entire catalog, that's obviously a pretty bad apple in the bunch; but when you listen to the others back to back it still sounds like a cohesive Gojira album, albeit certainly not as heavy as we've heard them go. I think that'll be an obvious skip on the album for me, but I still think it'll be good.

Still doesn't change the fact that the early albums exist and can be listened to at any time

BlackMastodon, sakeido and p0ke like this.
  16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

this is also why it's completely pointless to write the same stuff over and over again... but that's all ss.org ever wants anybody to do. Progression is the enemy!

freshness isn't latter day DT's problem.

I like how a pretty brutal metal band writes a rock 'n' roll song that's driven by clean vocals, with a bluesy solo, completely unlike anything they've ever done but "fresh" is the word you wanted to use. Very poor word choice. Strictly speaking, this is about as fresh as it's ever gotten for Gojira.

Supernaut likes this.
  17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Well, that was fun while it lasted.
    Now we all have to pretend this a great new direction because it sounds different.

Razerjack likes this.
  18. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

I think the new album, on the whole, will be good, and that it'll bring new audiences to the band. That said, The Chant gets the thumbs down from me right now. The other tracks are fine but this one's not great IMO. I'd love to hear something more progressive like Pray from Magma, I think if something like that was on the album then it would balance out nicely.

Ataraxia2320 and sakeido like this.
  19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I keep thinking of its spot on the album. Seems like a breather song, for sure. I'm just trying to figure out if the heaviest song on the album is gonna be before it or immediately afterwards :lol:

20. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I think Joe said in an interview how Metallica were his idols .. sounds like they're following that path quite well ;-P