Gojira

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalheadMC, Apr 7, 2015.

1. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Dudes gotta eat and pay the bills, I get it. I don't think they can ever go back to the level they were at with FMtS, the same way Between the Buried and Me could never put out another The Silent Circus, or Mastodon another Remission.

slan, Dayviewer and coreysMonster like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

I still say Way of All Flesh was their pinnacle. Way of All Flesh still had a healthy dash of the prog vibes, but was a tighter meaner package overall, even with some songs still going well over 6 minutes (Art of Dying/Wolf Down the Earth/Way of All Flesh). Plus that whole album is a fucking banger from start to finish. FMTS pacing wise feels more disjointed (even though I love that album to death).

3. MFB

MFB Banned

My only issue with FMTS is that it's a hair over an hour, and with the exception of one song, it just punches you in the face over and over, and by the end I'm exhausted sonically. I love it to death, but I can't really do it with headphones as much as I used to, but WoAF and LES are far more digestible; both of which I've come to enjoy more because they aren't that same level, but still manage to be heavy in how they're presented with tone/phrasing/composition/etc...

I would never expect them to put out From Mars Pt. 2, nor should anyone else as they're not the same guys as when they made that album, but if they do find a way to go back to the Les Enfants/WoAF middle ground (in terms of overall sound, as a song it was definitely more structured more commercially like Magma) that I got from this single, then I'm OK with what the album is going to be.

p0ke likes this.
  4. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Gotta agree with the previous two comments. I love FMTS, The Link and Terra Incognita, but TWOAF just has that perfect balance. I don't mind them also having the kind of songs they're putting out now, but I really miss the riffs that just blow your head off...

5. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

With me FMTS is in my top 10 albums i think. It's full of these huge moments or sections that either give me goose bumps, or i can't help nodding my head to. Everything else after that has sounded a bit boring in comparison. For instance, i like the feeling of this new song, but it feels like a song idea that's missing a couple of different sections or massive riffs to me. And that's the way i've felt about nearly everything they've done for years.
    I got FMTS on release and it was my "Holy shit i must check out their other stuff as well..." moment. I checked out The Link and loved several songs from that as well. I found it really disappointing i couldn't get into TWOAF when it came out. I could tell it was good music, it just didn't give me those goosebumps.

p0ke likes this.
  6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Another ultra sick free concert vid

Just unreal. My Gojira boner has been 1990 quatrillion de kilometres long since I first saw em in 2005... that hasn't changed at all

Boofchuck, FILTHnFEAR, CM_X5 and 2 others like this.
  7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Going to marathon The Link, FMTS and TWoAF tonight thank you

sirbuh and sakeido like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

Gojira is one of those rare bands that sounds just as good live just like they do on their albums. They're always tight as fuck and throw off a ton of energy.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Yup. Saw them a while back with Killswitch and they sounded absolutely perfect.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ahh, stumbled across this one:

I guess they don't even play that song live anymore, which is a shame... I saw them live in 2006 and they certainly played it then :hbang:

sakeido likes this.
  11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

They don't play the full song anymore, but they play the outro on most tours still

true of the old stuff for sure, but I find the songs from Magma sound way better live than recorded. A lot more heavy and energetic

12. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

They put this out a couple of weeks ago;

BlackMastodon likes this.
  13. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Goddamn, I forget just how good of a drummer Mario is sometimes.